The Dark Mod Forums

Aidakeeley's Musings

bambini

Hmmm it appears to state something like... "not if... not a console application". I'm probably not even close, but usually the "!" is used to negate what follows... such as: != means 'not equal to'

Either way, it looks odd... perhaps it is supposed to be:

[if !CONSOLE_APP]

I've never heard of a "not if" before. Seems like a strange thing to be in a header file.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Yeah the meaning is unclear, PranQster. (If not not)...

That's one thing

What's possibly infuriating is the need for this new (at least to me, old and out of it though I am) goddamned construct. It seems to me the basic preprocessor directives (and syntax) would suffice. I suspect MS has maybe "come up with an MS idea"... and if so it's another thing to put on my list of why I'd like to ring their necks (expletives heavily held-back, as I'm very possibly wrong about this).

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

From a bash scripting page:

[ ! EXPR ]True if EXPR is false.

http://tldp.org/LDP/...sect_07_01.html

That's at table 7-2

So that format states that if the expression "if not a console app" is false, then the whole shebang is true.

Looks like it has nothing to do exactly with microsoft, but a little-used expression from shell scripting.

Edited by PranQster

But it's in stdafx.h

// stdafx.h : include file for standard system include files,
// or project specific include files that are used frequently, but
// are changed infrequently
//

#pragma once

#include "targetver.h"

[!if !CONSOLE_APP]
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN 	// Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers
[!else]

I swear.

I mean I know "bang" (!) is often shorthand for "not", and that's cool... but why is this new syntax in a header? Are they trying to make things more convoluted? It seems so and that's why I suspect MS. :D

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

... weird... looking at it makes me wonder why they simply didn't use:

[if CONSOLE_APP]

but then again I'm not a programmer... just one who tinkers with bash scripts and occasionally with code I can't get to compile (as long as I have an error telling me which line the error is on in which file).

Exactly...

it should simply be:

#if whateveryouwantdetermined

decades of it... not good enough? Still I'm willing to find out why.

Like I say, I haven't looked at any code in ages so it might all be perfectly kosher and "standard".

Edited by aidakeeley

But it's in stdafx.h

// stdafx.h : include file for standard system include files,
// or project specific include files that are used frequently, but
// are changed infrequently
//

#pragma once

#include "targetver.h"

[!if !CONSOLE_APP]
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN 	// Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers
[!else]

I swear.

I mean I know "bang" (!) is often shorthand for "not", and that's cool... but why is this new syntax in a header? Are they trying to make things more convoluted? It seems so and that's why I suspect MS. :D

LOL, not if, not expression, not else.

Well, speaking of MS... those are the same guys who got caught putting wait state loops in their operating systems, reducing the wait state value with each service pack, and then claiming "this new version is faster than the previous version! Hurrah for us, we do such a good job!"

No better code... just fewer wait loops to make purposely crippled software run faster.

Well, speaking of MS... those are the same guys who got caught putting wait state loops in their operating systems, reducing the wait state value with each service pack, and then claiming "this new version is faster than the previous version! Hurrah for us, we do such a good job!"

:laugh:

Is that true or is that one of those "believable"-and-so-that-says-it-all things?

I don't even keep up with things like that any more (obviously), but I do know that new guy ("new" guy... long since) is nuts; and NOT (!) ( ;) ) improving things a whit. He's fucking up the things that were right, FFS.

But he's so fucking nuts, he's funny so... shithouse laughs, at least.

Edited by aidakeeley

:laugh:

Is that true or is that one of those "believable"-and-so-that-says-it-all things?

I don't even keep up with things like that any more (obviously), but I do know that new guy ("new" guy... long since) is nuts; and NOT (!) ( ;) ) improving things a whit. He's fucking up the things that were right, FFS.

But he's so fucking nuts, he's funny so... shithouse laughs, at least.

LOL, hmmm.. would his initials be S.B.?

Apparently the wait states issue was discovered in the mid-late 90's by either a computer science instructor or programmer who de-compiled several consecutive versions of Win9x after finding a liberal use of wait state loops. He found that each consecutive release/service pack had the wait state values reduced, thus making the software run faster. That, combined with statements from MS proclaiming performance improvements, led him to conclude that the use of the wait state loops were done for the sole purpose of controlling the performance of each consecutive release.

I will try to verify this.