The Dark Mod Forums

How Flexible Will The Dark Mod Be?

gleeful

greetings!

first off: thank you for making this mod (and please, oh please do finish it!). really excited about what you are trying to achieve.

now, for my question: from the faq and the postings here i couldn't really figure out how much freedom your tools will give you in creating thiefesque games.

will i be able to import my own models, textures, weapons? in other words would i be able to create my own "modern day" thief episodes?

thanks and kind regards

gleeful

I am not a team member, but I do know that the Doom3 sdk allows all what you said above. So unless they specifically remove it (which they most probably won't, as the tools are gonna be released first so the community can start mapping and then a campaign) then yeah you can :) .

--Dram

Yup, it'll be about as easy as modifying any currently existing game assets. If you wanna add new textures, models, weapons, enemies, or whatever else, you'll just plug em into the mod in much the same way you would Doom 3.

wow, that was fast!

i was a bit worried that your tools might be restricted to "Dark Mod content", but if i understood you correctly i will be able to pretty much combine the dark mod with all kinds of content made for doom 3, right?

now i'm looking forward to your mod even more.

kind regards

gleeful

BTW, Gleeful, are you good at any of that (modeling, texturing, etc)? Cos, if you wanna help them, then you should go to the "I want to help" section.

Just an idea.

--Dram

alas, not really - but i really wanna give it (the mod-making) a try this year.

i just quit my job in advertising and am now pursuing all the things i always wanted to do: practicing my animation skills (cartoons for now), producing music on a semi-professional basis (learning pro-tools) and writing (hey, one of my screenplays even won a prize 2 years ago - didn't get made though).

also through my years spent in advertising i'm pretty good with photoshop, although i've never done textures before.

anyways i don't plan to reinvent the wheel and i've got no delusions of grandeur - i just wanna make a few simple but fun single player maps with a nice storyline to hold it all together.

kind regards

gleeful

wow, that was fast!

i was a bit worried that your tools might be restricted to "Dark Mod content", but if i understood you correctly i will be able to pretty much combine the dark mod with all kinds of content made for doom 3, right?

now i'm looking forward to your mod even more.

kind regards

gleeful

Keep in mind that throwing alot of user made material together could potentially lead to some incompatibilities and errors, but in theory...yeah, you could.

in theory, you'll be able to make D3 maps with a stealth element similar to Thief....

that's exactly what i was hoping for - being a great fan of sneaky action and really not much of a shooter guy anymore.

it's strange: i used to love all these fpss but nowadays those super linear shooters just don't do much for me anymore. half-life 2 left me disappointed (man, they really went out of their way to make sure you don't come up with your own strategy and do ANYTHING that wasn't pre-planned by them) and doom 3 i didn't actually finish because i got so bored halfway through.

on the other hand i love the thief games naturally (i know it might be considered blasphemic but i also had a great time with t:ds), as well as deus ex (first one, mind you - second one was a -badly executed- slap in the face), the gothic series and -the most recent edition to my my all-time favorites- vampire:bloodlines.

okay enough rambling from me. i just wish there were more games that give you a great amount of freedom in how you approach a goal - that's why i wanna give modding a try.

kind regards

gleeful