The Dark Mod Forums

Whens a new client update coming?

HalfKaztBoy

I wasn't sure if HappyCheeze had to get approval before posting (etc) but I will PM him. He might need help though, because he's been busy with his schoolwork...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance we could have CUDA support integrated into TDM some day? I guess that would require the Doom 3 engine be open-sourced, but we could get even better performance on modern hardware. All Geforce 8x + cards have the ability to do general-purpose computing. I don't think Doom 3 touches this stuff with a ten-foot pole though.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Any chance we could have CUDA support integrated into TDM some day? I guess that would require the Doom 3 engine be open-sourced,

It probably does. One could hack it in, but we simply don't have anyone who understands CUDA and has the time to integrate it.

but we could get even better performance on modern hardware. All Geforce 8x + cards have the ability to do general-purpose computing. I don't think Doom 3 touches this stuff with a ten-foot pole though.

No it doesn't, D3 was before that time. It doesn't even do SIMD properly on Linux, something worth to look into, too. (Too many things, too little time).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

modern hardware etc.

The initial focus would logically be things like resource loading and AI. Places where concurrency can be more understandably and discretely implemented. The dual core has replaced the single core for anything that's going to be playing a 3d game, the quads and tris etc are creeping into home boxes everywhere, they're full of easier-to-use processor time that's sitting around doing nothing, and it's these which are the target.

It's unlikely that CUDA would ever be a good idea for a game, considering it's only supported by 1 of the big 3 vendors and is completely proprietary, if anything OpenCL might be more likely but there's very little things that could be implemented, some new games have started out with fancy particle based water, however they seem to drop it later in development for standard static water for whatever reason. That example is mostly chosen because of how hard it is to find usable areas for it, they cant be intensive tasks else you lower FPS, they cant be gameplay critical else you need to spend double+ the time making sure that CPU implementation is there for unsupported hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

As I look at the roadmap even though it has been mentioned not to rely on it it is very encouraging to me

- 0002396: [GUI] Add the Bloom settings to the menu (New Horizon) - acknowledged.

- 0002426: [TDM Updater] TDM Updater improvements (greebo) - assigned.

- 0002423: [AI] Archers ignore enemy when there are interesting sounds (grayman) - assigned.

- 0002411: [AI] Smaller spider needs adjusted AF? (Springheel) - assigned.

4 tasks with each one assigned or acknowledged by 4 different team members and best of all greebo is working on the updater which is such good news for the updater and the future of updates!

According to fids, release is roughly ~1 month away. I'm excited. Mostly for mousewheel fix and melan's textures. I managed to get my slippery hands on a few material files, but not the source images. Theres gonna be a lot of new stuff to play with, but I don't know what they all look like. Theres some screenshots with some spoilers if you know where to look.

• 2 weeks later...
A Christmas present?..................

At the rate we keep finding new bugs, I wouldn't bank on it.

Have you guys changed the TDM Updater's behaviour? What do we have right now? I have to manually download the TDM Updater every time I want to update my TDM package to the newer version. What if the TDM Updater would download and update itself, and, after this, it would update the whole TDM package?