The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod: Inspiration thread

Bikerdude

That's what I'd like to see more in FMs, a dedication to gameplay design rather than huge areas or telling stories through lengthy readables.

https://youtu.be/lamAqI8v7Y0?t=1m12s

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Not necessarily mapping inspiration, but now you can construct your very own medieval-style TDM lantern, ladies and gents. :)

• Like 1

This would make for a perfect villain lair:

tumblr_oxz1orLXjR1qz6de4o1_1280.jpg

What a beauty. :wub:

• Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

While the game is supposed to run on Unreal Engine 4, textures and assets look quite on par with what TDM can offer. Some nice inspirations here:

https://80.lv/articles/building-environments-for-adventure-games/

Screenshot_2-1024x502.jpg

Interesting read. Although from the trailer I am not sure whether not using normal maps was a good decision. It looks really old school.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Dunno if these have been posted yet, but here are a few concept sketches used during the production of the now quite dead Crucible of Omens campaign:

tumblr_p1bfn50aEB1rxmn3vo1_1280.png

tumblr_p1bfn50aEB1rxmn3vo2_1280.png

tumblr_p1bfn50aEB1rxmn3vo3_1280.png

tumblr_p1bfn50aEB1rxmn3vo4_1280.png

The shots are slightly blurry because they were scanned from a thick scrap paper notebook (sorry). The first shot was built and used as the opening area of Behind Closed Doors, and the last one was built for an unreleased campaign mission titled The Nexus (although with a central tower for better performance). The other two remain unrealised. I hope they will inspire people! :)

• Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Hey, its not terminally dead. Work on Restless Plunder will resume in the new year once Shadowhides city mission is out the door. I have been getting people lined up to do some voice work for the various conversations located through out the map.

Edited by Bikerdude
  • Like 1

Dead as a doornail until proven otherwise.

It's more like educational material. How the stuff gets made in games today. How modular sets and materials work, etc. It's more for modellers than mappers, but if there was a separarate thread for modeling, I'm pretty sure there will be only me, Spring, and Epi talking to each other ;)

Although I must say, while I'm all for nice shiny stuff, the AAA is where it gets a bit ridiculous. If you see the description, that guy wasn't even making all that stuff from scratch, sometimes he just did materials. Even if I had guaranteed basic income and didn't have to work, I'd never get to that kind of quality by working alone. AAA attention to detail is insane, just look at the coins. I beat Dishonored 2 and the DLC, I don't even remember how they looked like, except for the shape.

yannick-gombart-coins-03.jpg?1496991826

• Like 1

Just ran across a game that was released a few years ago called NaissanceE. It's a pretty abstract game but the cool thing is that it seems to be made almost completely out of bsp and has some pretty neat architecture which might be inspiring to mappers:

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com