The Dark Mod Forums

A game taffers might like...

Bikerdude

Holy crap, their headphone recommendation is valid! I'm around an hour into the game and already taking a break with my pipe to calm my nerves. I'll have to somehow explain to my professors why I won't get much sleep tonight while I play through this thing.

Tiny details and the thought behind horror in this game are scary awesome. I was wandering one area, and found an upright piano. Investigating, I opened the lid to reveal the keyboard. Nope, seems like the main character cannot play the piano. So I close the lid again and move on. Seconds later when I'm a few rooms away, I hear Chopin on the piano. As I cautiously walk back toward the hall with the piano, the music fades, and I find the piano's lid open again. Slightly unnerved, I turn around and begin to walk away... only for the lid to slam violently behind me.

Then I mashed Esc on my keyboard and turned my desklamp on again.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, their headphone recommendation is valid! I'm around an hour into the game and already taking a break with my pipe to calm my nerves. I'll have to somehow explain to my professors why I won't get much sleep tonight while I play through this thing.

Tiny details and the thought behind horror in this game are scary awesome. I was wandering one area, and found an upright piano. Investigating, I opened the lid to reveal the keyboard. Nope, seems like the main character cannot play the piano. So I close the lid again and move on. Seconds later when I'm a few rooms away, I hear Chopin on the piano. As I cautiously walk back toward the hall with the piano, the music fades, and I find the piano's lid open again. Slightly unnerved, I turn around and begin to walk away... only for the lid to slam violently behind me.

Then I mashed Esc on my keyboard and turned my desklamp on again.

THAT is so awesome! Your description of it, man I can't wait to play it. How they set that up, fantastic. Its the little details like that, in any game, I love it. It makes it more memorable to me.

I have to wear headphones, being partially deaf, its the only way to play for me.

I haven´t played the demo of this, because I first wanted to play the Penumbra series, am at the first episode just after encountering the first worm. Goddammit, never before I was so scared!!!!!!!! Only two enemies, dogs and spiders. If spiders are alone, they are not much a threat, but the dogs!! I only killed one and it was hard work. Hit him, running to safety, wait, sneak onto him, hit....

Hell, I´ll play at night, in complete darkness with 5.1-headphones and my adrenaline rushes like a water fall, this game is really special. The gameplay is fun although I would like to see more variety in enemies, ok, it´s time to go on. But I´m so scared, I don´t wanna see that big worm anymore, please, I just want to get out of there... :wacko:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Anyone experience an absolutely annoying teeth grinding sound while playing the demo? I was just getting into it, and then that sound effect kicked in on repeat and ruined the game for me.

I actually pre-ordered the game a while back, but I'm not sure if I want to play it now.

just after encountering the first worm.

That's exactly where I am as well. That banging, and then the first worm came, and I crapped my pants most heartily. I shut it down there last week looking forward my next play session. :ph34r:

As for the dogs. Oh those goddamn dogs. I kill every one, but it's never easy. Should I be attempting to stealth around them? I haven't tried. Those things need to be put down. After about my 4th or 5th dog even just the "danger" music change (*chills*) creeps me out, badly.

These guys did a great job with Penumbra (I got the complete pack off D2D very cheap) and I look forward to this next one. I hope I'll be able to swing a hammer better by then. Throw in a level editor and omg :wub:

Sad ain't it, that a tiny indie dev can do a better job than multi-million dollar budgeted big houses...

This is like Penumbra on roids. I played all Penumbras and felt maybe 12% scared in the worst parts because of the graphics of it. I'd get to the dogs and such and not really feel scared, same with the naked alien bros in the 2nd one. This one is like 70%+ scariness. I played Doom3, FEAR, FEAR2 ect ect not scary games at all. THIS is what a scary game is. When guys run at me in this game I get chills. And it's so crazy because you are afraid to stay in the dark and the light! :blink: I hope the creators do really well with this title, it's been years since I've felt this way playing a game! Quite stressful and do what the entry screen says about headphones and lighting :D

That's exactly where I am as well. That banging, and then the first worm came, and I crapped my pants most heartily. I shut it down there last week looking forward my next play session. :ph34r:

Should I be attempting to stealth around them? I haven't tried. Those things need to be put down.

Crouch, hide in a corner somewhere, you can turn away from them, and you'll calm down. Crouch you probably know makes you less visible to the AI. I did that all the time, sometimes it definitely was easier doing it that way instead of taking on ever single dog. Forgetaboutit.

Hehe, I was at the office from Red (I think it was his) where you found and examined mini-worm. Last Night I wanted to go on but I really needed a break from this. Never got that before with a game. :) But tonight, I will go on, I can´t let my alter ego sleep down there in that destroyed office with a worm-hole, I have to get out of there, I want to know more about the story too. I liked the amount of readables, but I hope I get some answers questioned and please no cliffhangers to the third episode. <_<

Yeah, crouching in the shadows and not looking at them is the key to success, but only for the dogs. The spiders seem to smell you. That thing that you´re not able to look for long at your enemies I like very much, it adds more scariness for me.

OH yeah, the fighting system is horrible!! You can even fight with a brush to throw dust around. :laugh: I know, press Examination-key to look around while holding weapon, but I never get it right working. Well, mostly because I play with gamepad. The second thing I don´t like is that there is no creep-mode? Climbing a ladder and leaning are slower as in Thief, but crouching is so damn fast, that´s not sneaking. I noticed one can decrease the speed due to the game.cfg-file, but that breaks the game on some spots. First I switched around with the files, but because you have no quicksave (that is a good thing for the tension) I finally left the default settings active. Really, I don´t like to 'rush' through levels. Especially such a game needs a creep-mode.

What about the following games and the new one? Is there a creep-mode? For walking AND crouching?

@Jdude: Please spoiler such things. There are Aliens in the second Episode? I don´t like Aliens. Hope it won´t be the X-files-GrayMen. I´m sure that was the reason they didn´t made a 'true' Episode three. I read that the actual third episode has nothing to do with the first two parts, though it was planned like this...

This game reminds me of an early Promo-video from 'Call of Cthulu', I haven´t played that until now, but that will be the next. I already bought it, but never played it. You can lean in that game too, right? (and creep I hope)

What other games do you know are out there that have Thief´s lean-mode? I abandoned PC-gaming couple of years ago, so I most likely missed some good games like Penumbra... :blush:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

/has to stop reading thread from too many spoilers :-/

OH, I hope you don´t mean my talk about the office. After I re-read my post I realized it´s a far bigger spoiler than Jdudes (that turned out to be no spoiler at all) and I´m the one complaining about spoilers in the first place in the very same post. Sorry. :wacko:

What other games do you know are out there that have Thief´s lean-mode?

Come on, there must be at least one more game out there for Taffers?

:laugh: I´m supposed to go on in Penumbra, but sth forces me to chicken out. (is that correct grammar?)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

But there's one thing I'll need for certain before that: a CRT ...

I really miss seeing black.

What's interesting is that they use a special lighting shader that I like to describe as The Ultima Underworld Effect.

To negate this problem with LCD panels, If you are standing in light, near-black shades and shadows fade into absolute 0,0,0,0 black. If you are in darkness, your 'eyes' adjust and near-black shades lighten. It's also part of the horror effect: What could be hiding in that shadow over there??

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I just finished Penumbra Episode 1, didn´t expected it to end this fast, second Episode already installed. I can´t wait to go on, but the sun is lurking around my windows...

Something that bothers me: I had no credits! But the soundtrack has a credits-track I did not heard ingame, so maybe I even missed some story? Did you guys see a credits-screen after 'To be continued'? I get directly to the main menu. :huh:

BTW, the soundtrack is great, I´m listening atm. :ph34r:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I'm going to sidetrack the thread for just 1:18 minutes, give or take. :P

For those that haven't played Undying, check out some of the music on Youtube, and give a listen.

Main theme can give me a shiver, its sooo good.

And the church chant.

Sorry can't help it, another one to give me goose bumps on my arms.