The Dark Mod Forums

A game taffers might like...

Bikerdude

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, my problem with the game. At several points, the screen is turned upside down as the TDM Training Mission. Quite annoying way to play. I tried to turn off bloom effects, we have disabled Catalyst AI, but not improved anything. What should I do? Download the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, or is there an alternative solution? (Or just set your monitor upside down?):laugh:

By any chance, does your GPU support the following?:

Ctrl+Alt+down

Ctrl+Alt+up

to flip the screen?

That´s all I can offer as 'advice', sorry. :mellow:

And you had this only in the Training Mission, no FM else?

No. Is there a notebook that has no such problem. Just do not like to play games in a dark background such as Amnesia, TDM, because LED screen and I am disturbed. (Just playing GTA IV I can bear it, you do not mind that the LED screen, because they are living in gameplay.) Anyway yes, only the TDM training mission was upside-down screen, but it was enough to turn off bloom effects.

Unfortunately, my problem with the game. At several points, the screen is turned upside down as the TDM Training Mission. Quite annoying way to play. I tried to turn off bloom effects, we have disabled Catalyst AI, but not improved anything. What should I do? Download the latest ATI Catalyst drivers, or is there an alternative solution? (Or just set your monitor upside down?):laugh:

Could you make a thread over in the support subforum? I'm pretty sure it's just your drivers not updating correctly.

Make sure to give gfx card model, a bit of general info like OS etc.

I'm playing! \o/

I'm just past the water monsters part, now in a soothing room with the creepy baby face fountain

and so far the puzzles are boring, the story is interesting and the horror.. well, it's the best horror game ever made, IMO. It builds the tension so well.

Edited by Diego

• 2 weeks later...

This game reminds me of an early Promo-video from 'Call of Cthulu', I haven´t played that until now, but that will be the next. I already bought it, but never played it. You can lean in that game too, right? (and creep I hope)

Are you referring to Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth? Yes you can lean in it, it's a great game. I love the HUD-less gameplay, and the sanity system is pretty neat. I'm sure you'll have a blast when you play it.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Yes, that´s it. :)

I´m done with the Penumbra-series, but I won´t post my impressions until SneaksieDave is finally finished with it due to his inability to not read spoiler-code... :laugh:

Just this: I don´t get why they didn´t put some enemies in Requiem (there´s another cool (old) game with this name, but it´s not dark, just a shooter with angelic powers...), also some levels around the puzzles. So it was just one puzzle after another. And I had to search for help two times in walkthroughs, one time in Black Plague, (zero time in Overture) but I can´t post for what for Dave´s sake...

Tonight I maybe start with Amnesia, or Beleaguered Fence (came out recently by company SOTHA), I´ll see. Oh, I´m sure this will give you a laugh: I also could choose Splinter Cell 3 (PS2-version) that I started some time ago... :rolleyes:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Yeah really, and if you don´t finish a game that means you don´t like it. That´s the reason I didn´t finished Doom3 recently and also why I don´t go on in Splinter Cell3. So, you don´t like Penumbra, what´s wrong with you? :laugh:;) Really, you should go in, one or two long evenings/nights and you´re finished. No need to go through Requiem, nothing new is in there besides nice puzzling. The games are not very long, but packed full of entertainment.

My body was too weak to start Amnesia last night, needed sleep. I think I need a new vessel. Anyway, I think I´ll go in this night. I read this thread again about it and I can´t wait to feel scared again.

Black Plague was scary too, but I fear I got used to it. No wait, it was just that there was

only one enemy (I bet you´re reading this Dave, aren´t you???)

, that softened it down. Besides, it weren´t

(and again, Dave, shame on you!!! ;) )Aliens! Just an alien force that made people mutate. Just like in SystemShock2...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Uh, nice to hear it takes off after all. Would've been a real shame...

That´s the reason I didn´t finished Doom3 recently and also why I don´t go on in Splinter Cell3.

Yeah, SC 3 was not the strongest part, but in my oppinion, all games besides the recent "Conviction" were of high quality nevertheless. Conviction was merely an action shooter that felt like you always had cheats enabled...

Hi guys, maybe you who like "Amnesia" are happy to hear that the popular German games magazine Gamestar gave this game 80 Points (of 100), especially mentioning that no game has every conveyed such utter horror as "Amnesia" did. I really do hope that this will boost the sales. Although I'm not sure if I'll ever play the game (I did have nightmares after playing The Cradle in T3), I wish those swedish guys the best of luck.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I used a bit of amnesia gameplay to scare the crap out of my Psychology class. Eventually, lecturing bores the class so I had to wake them up. My professor said that the demonstration was "a real hoot and a hollar!"

Ironically, my lecture topic was on "fear, phobias, and anxiety"

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

:blink: I thought that was a joke, Mortem! Cool, was that a priest-psychology class? Did you gave them headphones?

Finally I start with Amnesia in a couple of minutes ahead. I had to wait because since last Sunday I couldn´t hear with my right ear, resulting in me not gaming anything. Maybe that caused my recent behaviour... :rolleyes:

Anyway, doctor helped out today so I´m ready for some adrenalin-rushes. :ph34r:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Hmm, I must say that I was a little disappointed last night, but also it seemed I wasn´t in the mood (I quiet after three hallways). I was shocked how bad it looked, so much low-res-textures. Penumbra looked a lot better. I activated every graphical feature, but it looks like it would be 5 or more years old. Is that because of that morphing-effects can´t handle higher textures? Or is sth not right? I thought I made screenshots, but they were not saved.

And the movement-speed is just ridiculous, walking is almost as fast as running. They got leaning, but no creeping, that annoys me the most. (I´m tempted to change that game.ini again...)

Also it felt less comfortable than Penumbra. Opening doors felt a lot worse than in Penumbra. Can someone of you with a descent system maybe post a screenshot of the beginning-hallways? Or can you confirm that it doesn´t look that nice as one could expect from an actual game?

Especially the door-textures were so blurry and lo-res. Alright, it seems I´m still not in the mood, don´t know what´s wrong with me, maybe it´s because I worked the last two days on Doom3... :huh:

Okay, I made a screenshot. Does this look right? (That bricks could use a better bumpmapping...)

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

I don't know how to make screenshots, and I de-installed the demo already, but yes, it looked quite blurry. Also,the "pink" spots looked completely out-of-place to me, compared to the rest. But maybe this was intentional?

Anyway, I like how the "simplified" the interface, it got all the things (object manipulation, etc), but at the same time isn't overboarding you with 100 key shortcuts. Also, the atmosphere is outstanding.

Things I didn't like:

* the too-dumbed-down interface. I died a few few times, then got wise to look into my inventory to see my health, also dran a potion (which restored maybe 25% of health?) but it was still quite unclear how much health you have left, and when you get damaged (actually, why you get sometimes damaged).

* the same for sanity. It was quite unclear to me how much I had left and how it changed.

Maybe these two things are intentioanlly (to freak out the player and make him cautious), but it didn't feel like I am in control, and I don't like this.

* The steering, I remapped the movement to the cursor keys, but jumping became a pain, so in the water level I managed a lot to NOT jump when I wanted to jump. Not to mention on some crates you can't jump and I always expected the mantling to start real-soon-now, but instead I died. Oops.

* The constant "something bad is happening and your player can't even look at enemies" pressure. Horror games (like horror movies) are simply not for me. However, that is not their "fault" just like it wouldn't be the fault of the baker if you don't like plum cake :)

Anyway, since these guys make great games and support linux, I just bought a copy of their game. Shame you can't get a box, tho.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

True, the textures are a bit lowres but other than that I thought it was really top notch, artistically. They have all the common technologies implemented, besides maybe parallax mapping (I didn't pay attention whether it was parallax or not). It looked really great in my opinion.

The textual health meter is also a very classical element in horror games and I like it. But I like everything that is not standard cheap xbox360 gameplay. Controls were also ok to me. What's wrong with standard WASD? :)

Well, I loved the game, although it was way too short. At the moment I probably can't offer a decent objective evaluation. But then again, when it comes to evaluations it is very often about the subjective feelings about something... :)

I'm pretty sure the pink spots are the remainder of whatever it was Daniel drank to forget. That explains why you don't see them after you reach the desk with Daniel's note to himself.

He wrote the note, drank the solution, and started vomiting it up as he wandered away to the point where he collapsed.

But yeah, I thought they were rose pedals at first so the textures are probably a bit low resolution.