The Dark Mod Forums

Advice about recruiting for a mod please

solarsplace

Hi

I would like to ask you guys some advice about recruiting for a mod.

Obviously now, TDM is massively popular and people are throwing themselves at your feet with offers of help ;) - however, there must have been a time (possibly when the modding scene was considerably different) when there was only a small gathering of core developers at its heart.

Can I ask by what means, if anyone actually knows that TMD grew and managed to attract contributors? did you advertise? was it by word of mouth over various forums? etc. Did you approach others and ask them for help?

Currently we need to find some person or persons to model some monster type creatures for our mod. Have a guess how much interest we have been able to muster? absolutely sweet FA ;) not a sausage! despite several polite emails enquiring about their service - you just don't even get any reply these days. Not even a FO - at least you would know where you stand ;)

Gets me thinking as to what would make a complete stranger decide to give up an essentially quite considerable amount of time for basically free to produce some model(s) for a free game mod? why would someone actually do that? would they put their work in a portfolio? would they do it just for the enjoyment and satisfaction?

Essentially I think you would have to be very, very lucky to find anyone prepared to do that these days? what do you think?

There is only 2 of us on the mod at the moment, and TBH trying to learn how to model and animate monsters etc would be a straw and camel back situation.

Anyway, well, is there anyone here that would be prepared to offer a little advice on how they would go about finding a modeller for their project?

On the main board where I would usually ask this question, unfortunately they are not interested unless your post has 'HDR' or 'Do you think Rage looks bad' in the subject, so that's the reason for my post here, hope no one minds too much.

Thanks in advance

AFAIK, TDM is having recruitment issues of it's own (in the coding dept).

I posted some requests for Modelers in the Industry Jobs area at Beyond3d.com and in the PC Games area at Rage3d.com and shortly afterward two Modelers showed up... Could just be a coincidence though.

I haven't gotten around to it (keep forgetting) but maybe the help wanted area in GameDev.net too...

Maybe we could arrange a resource swap. Sorta like:

One of you two fix one of the open issues in the TDM Bug Tracker and Baddcog, Springheel, etc from the TDM team makes you guys a monster.

Just a conjecture. :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hi

Thanks for the reply and the tips on the websites you use, much appreciated!

I would be happy to take a look at SDK or script type issues myself. Can't guarantee I'm capable of fixing them, but I can have a look.

I assume I have no access to the 'bug tracker' so if you could email me the details?

Would probably be best to start off with the smallest issue to get a feel for the code?

Cheers

Bug Tracker:

http://bugs.angua.at/main_page.php

The 1.02 source is at the download area on the main Darkmod page but I presume you will need SVN access to make relevant changes... Someone from the team would have to answer that one :)

Source:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/thedarkmod.1.02.src.zip

Edited by nbohr1more

It's not assigned yet so I presume it's safe to look into...

If you want to confer (PM) with Tels about 0002302, I think that is one of the major struggles currently...

It's not assigned yet so I presume it's safe to look into...

If you want to confer (PM) with Tels about 0002302, I think that is one of the major struggles currently...

Hi nbohr1more

I have had a look at the game and the code and am able to reproduce the issue no problem. I have a pretty good 'hunch' I know what it is and have pm'd Tels about it like you suggested.

EDIT: This is not map related at all. The screen shot is from RTTC map. Thanks.

Thanks again for the tips etc.

Regards

post-3885-128396888635_thumb.jpg

Edited by solarsplace

Have you tried these forums?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/

http://www.game-arti...ods-volunteers/

http://www.3dbuzz.co...forum/forum.php

It would also be a good idea to check out the ModDB recruiting forum and also their jobs board.

If you posted a couple decent images of the original Arx characters with your request it might inspire someone to take up the challenge of making a better looking version for a modern engine.

It's a little disappointing that there are so many mods based on the same old FPS theme, and most of the modellers are presumably busy on these projects. It wouldn't surprise me though, if there are a few modellers who would jump at the opportunity to make interesting fantasy characters rather than the standard commando type.

One thing I would ask though is that if you're struggling to get modellers at this stage, could you not just include placeholder AI for now, and then replace the model and anims once someone is able to contribute these?

Edited by Midnight

Thanks for your help solarspace!!! :D

I hope that our team returns this gesture and provides you with some assistance.

(I might even make some high-poly monsters in sculptris but I am not sure about the toolset to go from sculptris to an animated MD5. :unsure: )

I don't want to stomp on your toes here but you might want to wait for an official response before you jump in and start fixing bugs. Otherwise there's no guarantee that you'll get a return on your investment.

There is no guarantee, anyway. But anybody can come and start fixing bugs and nobody here will complain ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Midnight

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful and appreciated.

@rich_is_bored

Yes you are right, normally that would apply. However I have always been in awe of TDM and so would find it personally rewarding to actually be able to contribute something to the mod.

Plus, I can't really go around bitching that no one wants to help with my mod if I don't ever make the effort to help with others etc.

CHeers

*cough*

@ solarsplace: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11708-advice-about-recruiting-for-a-mod-please/page__view__findpost__p__231320

:)

Edit: Actually it does appear to be just good use of ambient sources. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There would need to be linking between the torches and the ambient for extinguishing, which will work for a single target, but with multiple torches it'll require some extra help. I'm in the process of asking Tels about support for this right now.

As for the original topic, Dark Mod was lucky in the sense that it was at the right place at the right time ... TDS had been a let down to a lot of people on the gameplay and look, and we didn't know the TDS editor was coming out, and even when it did people didn't like how restricted it was, and it wasn't open source, and Doom3 had come out with all these possibilities... All of these things came together at the same time, with a group of people sharing the need to do something, and it snowballed.

That is, I think timing & circumstance was on TDM's side. It wasn't like an anonymous mod coming out of nowhere, which I suspect would have made it much harder to recruit and keep people if it had been. So the thinking here is, rather than inventing a mod and then looking for people, you find a need out there, and people with a shared desire first then carry it to a mod. But since you've got a mod already in the works, maybe try to spin it as something that people will think needs to be made or fulfills some missing need, and that the timing is right to do this project... Something like that. Something that will motivate people to be part of something that feels almost inevitable.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

*cough*

@ solarsplace: http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__231320

:)

Edit: Actually it does appear to be just good use of ambient sources. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There would need to be linking between the torches and the ambient for extinguishing, which will work for a single target, but with multiple torches it'll require some extra help. I'm in the process of asking Tels about support for this right now.

Hi SneaksieDave

I was not ignoring you, honest :) - I need to confirm with my colleague Neurological and get his opinion. He did virtually all of that level brushwork and the original lighting. Just before release he allowed me to 'adjust' his lighting, so I went round and meddled with everything ;) - I will let you know - but its not just my decision alone. What ever the decision it is not ready to go public in any way. When we release, which we will - we like TDM will open up everything SDK etc.

Thanks

Hey, fast you are! I thank you in the name of a Fan and I even promise you to finally play Arx Fatalis, if that means sth to you. :rolleyes:;)

Cheers BTW - It does mean something - It means - if you give an old game like Arx a chance, you will have a lot of fun and adventure ;) - best of luck - she's still a challenge, especially those Ylisides ;)

Offtopic (in the offtopic forum!)

Hey solarsplace, is the map here available anywhere? :

The mapper did some neat stuff with lighting that I'd like to dissect if possible. Specifically, the simulation of radiosity is really well done (great examples at 7:34 onward).

Hi

Sent you a PM. Please confirm you received it etc.

Regards

As for the original topic, Dark Mod was lucky in the sense that it was at the right place at the right time ... TDS had been a let down to a lot of people on the gameplay and look, and we didn't know the TDS editor was coming out, and even when it did people didn't like how restricted it was, and it wasn't open source, and Doom3 had come out with all these possibilities... All of these things came together at the same time, with a group of people sharing the need to do something, and it snowballed.

That is, I think timing & circumstance was on TDM's side. It wasn't like an anonymous mod coming out of nowhere, which I suspect would have made it much harder to recruit and keep people if it had been. So the thinking here is, rather than inventing a mod and then looking for people, you find a need out there, and people with a shared desire first then carry it to a mod. But since you've got a mod already in the works, maybe try to spin it as something that people will think needs to be made or fulfills some missing need, and that the timing is right to do this project... Something like that. Something that will motivate people to be part of something that feels almost inevitable.

Thanks BTW, great answer and post.

Regards