The Dark Mod Forums

Batch volume adjust?

Springheel

Anyone know of a good program to batch adjust the volume of .ogg files? I have the noblewoman vocals all cut up, but they are too faint compared to the other vocals. I've adjusted the volume in the shader, but there appears to be a ceiling of some kind, as I've noticed no difference between "volume 11" and "volume 21".

Anyone know of a good program to batch adjust the volume of .ogg files? I have the noblewoman vocals all cut up, but they are too faint compared to the other vocals. I've adjusted the volume in the shader, but there appears to be a ceiling of some kind, as I've noticed no difference between "volume 11" and "volume 21".

I use CoolEdit 2000 for my sound work.

It has the ability to run a script of actions across a bunch of files. So I should be able to create a Normalize script that can do what you want.

I'll experiment with it to see if it works (I've never used batch mode). If so, I'm open to normalizing the files for you if you can't find another solution. I'll just need to know what level you want to normalize to.

CE2000 is no longer available. Adobe bought it and today it's wrapped up inside their Soundbooth software.

Edit: I've confirmed that batch processing works, so I can do this if you want.

Anyone know of a good program to batch adjust the volume of .ogg files?

You don't really want to do this unless you have no alternative, because of the possible recompression artifacts. Adjusting the volume of the source .WAVs would be preferable.

Other than grayman's CoolEdit suggestion, this would also be pretty much trivial to do on Linux with sox.

I've adjusted the volume in the shader, but there appears to be a ceiling of some kind, as I've noticed no difference between "volume 11" and "volume 21".

In my experience the ceiling is actually at 0dB, i.e. you can only reduce the volume of sounds, not increase it. This seems like a strange design decision, but such is life.

You don't really want to do this unless you have no alternative, because of the possible recompression artifacts. Adjusting the volume of the source .WAVs would be preferable.

I've spent the last week cutting them up, making necessary adjustments and exporting them. I can certainly do it again, but it's going to be highly annoying. I guess the best thing to do in the future would be to save them as individual .wavs after the post-proc is done, and then batch convert them to .ogg after they're working properly?

In my experience the ceiling is actually at 0dB, i.e. you can only reduce the volume of sounds, not increase it. This seems like a strange design decision, but such is life.

Really? That's odd, as all the vocals have some level of positive volume adjustment in the shader.

For large batches, I've used audacity to open 150+ audio files. Ctrl-A to select them all, and use a normalize tool to boost them all just under 0 dB.

Then Audacity can also batch export using "export multiple" and using the label/track name to keep each file name the same after export.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

For large batches, I've used audacity to open 150+ audio files

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it crashes for me if I try to open more than 35, and ctrl-A only selects the currently selected window, not all of them.

I've spent the last week cutting them up, making necessary adjustments and exporting them. I can certainly do it again, but it's going to be highly annoying. I guess the best thing to do in the future would be to save them as individual .wavs after the post-proc is done, and then batch convert them to .ogg after they're working properly?

Indeed, the export to .ogg should be the final step in the process and not replace the storage of uncompressed WAVs. Really the WAVs should also be committed into the sound_src SVN repository, although I admit that I haven't done this either with the modified footsteps.

Really? That's odd, as all the vocals have some level of positive volume adjustment in the shader.

Is there actually any noticeable difference though if you reset the volume adjustment to zero? I could be wrong about the "no amplification" theory, but I suspect that the positive adjustments were left in without actually making any difference.

Ctrl-A to select them all,

Am I missing a preference or something? My audacity opens every file in a separate window, and I can't seem to select or modify more than one at a time.

You could install Sox for Windows:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/files/sox-win/14.3.1/

and MSYS:

http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS

Then the conversion process would be a simple as something like

$ for file in *.ogg; do sox --norm ${file} ${file}_normalised.ogg; done

Ah, you're right. I never would have thought of dragging them. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I went back and did them all as wavs first. I've now uploaded the ogg files. They're as good as I'm going to get them.