The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: St Alban's Cathedral (01/11/2010)

Bikerdude

Shaz went through some of these steps in The Alchemist thread and another thread labeled "Why wont these 3 mission start" (approximately). She is posting in windowed mode because that is her best chance of capturing the error. If it's not her ATI driver, then the motherboard chipset driver is the only thing left...

(Unless you wanna cut your map into pieces until she finds the bad object like grayman did...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ATI Radeon HD 4870, Catalyst 10.8 drivers (same issue occurred with previous drivers, in those other missions that crash).

I switched to windowed mode after the first few crashes, to check some things and try the dmap, I just hadn't turned windowed off.

nbhor: No, I'm using the drivers off AMD's site. Should I revert to the VisionTek drivers even though I have no issue in any of the (many, many, I'm a junkie) other games I play with no issues?

Usually VisionTek is fine with vanilla ATI drivers so that suggestion was a long-shot. I have an AGP card from Sapphire that just doesn't work right for a couple of specific games unless I install an old Sapphire specific driver. You could try updating your motherboard drivers instead as I don't believe that has yet been tried.

Don't have a spare gfx card, unless I make my hubby rip his baby out of his system (uh...ain't gonna happen, we have a firm 'don't tinker with each others systems' policy).

I'll check on the motherboard drivers!

Or, if that doesn't help, I'll just wait until I can ask for a new video card for Christmas, and see if a brand new card does better. Would a DX11-able card give Doom3 any fits...?

if windows stops a program then control panel, administrative tools, event viewer, application window in event viewer, double click on errors will usually tell you what causes a program crash. it logs system events over the past year with the most recent error near the top, logs should be on by default.

That mission was great.

Bikerdude is a devilish skilled loot-hider - I feel I turned every pot upside down and I'm still a couple of 100s short...

Are you married ? You seem to know how to set aside a little extra :)

Visually among many other tings I especially liked the tomb area - made me feel like 'ol graverobber - probably the floor fog goes a long way.

Adored the level of detail sometimes - the clock house gears were turning, accessible through a maintenance opening - and yes,

there was even a flask of oil sitting right there :)

More AI would have been nice - but about half of the population seemed to be in the pub, so sneaking there was really difficult.

The roof riddle really got me - I didn't expect to use those chains ... after a certain Komag mission I was not eager to hop on anything that might swing.

The level of accessibility in town was worthy of the best Thief mission there ever was - I almost got mad searching for access and loot (a little bit too much of that can feel like being a mouse in a labyrinth in my opinion).

The story was proper, but I think a little plain. But building a visually and technically great mission takes a lot of talent already - maybe there should be people more or less specializing in sketching out great stories with readables and twists and side stories and all of that so that mission authors can draw from their ideas/build on them. Artists are important for a reason - not only for architectural ideas and textures; maybe "story writer/developer" should be seen as an independent and worthy skill ,too.

I hope we see this cathedral again - as it is or more or less changed, maybe in an undead mission or partially burned down, or taken over by the inventors or whatever.

Thanks bikerdude, I had a great time.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

Stuck at the start. :(

Where is the sewer key? I've searched through the entire house and yard two or three times. I have one lockpick on Easy, snake I think. This only half picks the sewer. I've tried climbing out of the little alley to find the city watch but no luck. I'm guessing this is a bug and I should have two lockpicks?

Stuck at the start. :(

Where is the sewer key? I've searched through the entire house and yard two or three times. I have one lockpick on Easy, snake I think. This only half picks the sewer. I've tried climbing out of the little alley to find the city watch but no luck. I'm guessing this is a bug and I should have two lockpicks?

No, you have to acquire your other lockpick. It is

in the police station's evidence vault upstairs.

To get there,

pickpocket the guard sitting at the HQ's front desk.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fantastic mission!

Gameplay: Good,

The beginning was a bit confusing, I could have used a map. The few ais made it a bit too easy to sneak around, save for the tavern.

Some thngs that were climeable looked exactely like other things that were not.

The cathedral was fun to explore.

Appearance: Near Perfect,

The arcitecture was great. Especially in the cathedral and the tomb. I especially liked the pillars and curved celings.

Are you the Master Builder himself?

Story and text: Excellent,

Ah hah. Thanks, stumpy!

Event Viewer has a whole lot of:

Faulting application name: DOOM3.exe, version: 1.0.0.1, time stamp: 0x45ad459a
Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.10151, time stamp: 0x4c58c739

and a (very) few of:

Faulting module name: gamex86.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4be6431b

So, it looks like atioglxx.dll is an issue. A quick search online shows that this is an OpenGL problem that has hit quite a few other people in other games, for quite a few years now. It also didn't seem like there was tried-and-true fix for it...

...as I am far from a computer guru, does anyone have good advice?

No, you have to acquire your other lockpick. It is

in the police station's evidence vault upstairs.

To get there,

pickpocket the guard sitting at the HQ's front desk.

Have I missed something?

Where is the city watch? All I see is a very tiny alley with no way out that I can find. I've climbed up everywhere I can. I recall Biker talking about different start points so I suspect on Easy there is no way out except the sewer. So presumably I can't get to the city watch without the lockpick. Catch 22.

[EDIT] Reading over at ttlg although I tried

ivys and pipes and various climbs maybe I missed something. I'll try again.

Have I missed something?

Where is the city watch? All I see is a very tiny alley with no way out that I can find. I've climbed up everywhere I can. I recall Biker talking about different start points so I suspect on Easy there is no way out except the sewer. So presumably I can't get to the city watch without the lockpick. Catch 22.

[EDIT] Reading over at ttlg although I tried

ivys and pipes and various climbs maybe I missed something. I'll try again.

You can climb on the roof in a not too obvious place, and go on from there.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

"When outmatched... cheat."— Batman

You can climb on the roof in a not too obvious place, and go on from there.

Thanks. Got it now. It was the only climb I didn't try!

Well if someone voted only tolerable visuals then we might as well all give up trying. ;) Looks bloody great so far and that sky works really well. I might think again about doing a dynamic sky instead of static in my own.

"Doom3.exe stopped working" error, i had this long ago too, it´s your graphic driver crashing as pointed out before.

I did solved this by randomly reinstalling graphic driver (nVidia in my case), just use newest (if not using it) or older one. Even give some unofficial drivers a try. Cleaning driver in safe mode recommended. Good luck.

@Biker: not far into mission yet, but from what i´ve seen... sure you´re Master Builder himself ! :wub:

Thanks !

Edited by Trickster

@Biker: not far into mission yet, but from what i´ve seen... sure you´re Master Builder himself ! :wub:

And if the Trickster himself says that, it must surely be so! :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

if windows stops a program then control panel, administrative tools, event viewer, application window in event viewer, double click on errors will usually tell you what causes a program crash. it logs system events over the past year with the most recent error near the top, logs should be on by default.

Doh, I should have thought of this, well done stumpy. I will have a look into this and see what solution if any are forthcoming.

• Bikerdude is a devilish skilled loot-hider - Are you married ? You seem to know how to set aside a little extra
  • the clock house gears were turning, accessible through a maintenance opening - and yes, there was even a flask of oil sitting right there
  • The level of accessibility in town was worthy of the best Thief mission there ever was -

• Heh, no, but the reason there is so much loot and so well hidden is I placed it as I went along and on that note there are two places that I BET that know one has found and both are attic locations..
  • Yeah, damn right there is - I'm an engineer by trade so I always try tio get things mechanically correct, including the tools for the job!
  • So it should be, it was based on a T2 mission " the crypt of St Lucian "

Would you like to re-release your map with (my) EAX?

Yes, sound like a good idea.

How do I enter the house across from the apothecary? (not the one with the guarden, the one with two entrances on different levels.) Great FM so far, I love the exploring, climbing & how there are multiple ways to do things !

Have you tried picking the lock on the front door..

and yeah I was trying to get closer to the way we do things in T2

Thanks. Got it now. It was the only climb I didn't try!Well if someone voted only tolerable visuals then we might as well all give up trying.

Fids what are you like, there were 2 clues,

the priests note and the table

t.. and I even built some scaffold and a ladder in-conjunction

with the priest note

:ph34r:

And yeah that singular vote was shadowhide, who I see has yet to release a TDM fm..

Edited by Bikerdude

Ah hah. Thanks, stumpy!

Event Viewer has a whole lot of:

Faulting module name: atioglxx.dll, version: 6.14.10.10151, time stamp: 0x4c58c739

and a (very) few of:

Faulting module name: gamex86.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4be6431b

So, it looks like atioglxx.dll is an issue. A quick search online shows that this is an OpenGL problem that has hit quite a few other people in other games, for quite a few years now. It also didn't seem like there was tried-and-true fix for it...

atioglxx.dll is part of the ATI driver.

Now that I think of it, you could try this:

1) Download the ATI 4000 series driver at VisionTek

2) Start the installer but cancel it after it has extracted to a directory on your drive

3) Find the Bin folder in that extracted directory (I'm pretty sure that's it, I will have to verify later)

4) Find atioglxx.dl_

5) Copy the path to that folder into your Windows clipboard

6) Run "cmd" (command prompt)

7) Type cd and past the path from your Windows clipboard then press enter

8) Type expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

9) Copy the new atioglxx.dll into your Doom 3 base directory

This will allow you to use the VisionTek specific ATI OpenGL driver just for Doom 3 and won't affect other games. I will still recommend that you update your motherboard drivers as video drivers depend on interactions with chipset resources.

Hey Biker - you are in a different place. I was talking about right at the start on Easy. No clues and none needed. I just missed it. I did search for climbs but didn't really expect there to be any. Plus the final testing was rushed so several bugs got in so I jumped to the conclusion that's what this was. I soon found it when I realized there must be a way.

atioglxx.dll is part of the ATI driver. Now that I think of it, you could try this:

In fact, I will find said driver and extract the reuired file and attach it to the main post.

Whats the exact version of the Vt driver so I know I have downloaded the correct version with the fix..? or is it just the following link - http://www.visiontek.com/downloads.html and on the subject of fixes whats the score on the Doom3 shader fix and tdm..?

@Bikerdude

Thanks, I thought that I had alreadey tried that. Obviously I didn't :blush:

Another question:

Unlike the original games in TDM Zombies/Haunts still make me quite tense. I heard this

statue whisper when I passed it.

shot00005tl.th.png

Is it supposed to do this, was it just ambient sfx or am I going crazy ?