The Dark Mod Forums

FM: Flakebridge Monastery by Jesps

Jesps

88 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Thanks Jesps for this great mission.

You are welcome :D

One question though: at the beginning of the mission, I

shot an arrow on a little traget above a stone hammer, which made it go down in the ground

. What was it supposed to do ?

Yes, there is some loot on top of it. Though you may have gotten it already by just climbing on top of the hammer. :)

• 3 months later...

Interesting. I decided to play this yesterday (technically 2 days ago now since it's past midnight). I went to resume playing tonight and I saw a quicksave which was a few hours later than when I stopped playing yesterday. The date was right, so it seemed. Until I noticed that it was from a whole year ago! Out of the blue, I had decided to replay this within 5 hours of being exactly one year since I last played it. Also, exactly 1 year since it was released. 8O

I loved it all over again. What an awesome mission!

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 2 months later...

Wow, don't know why I never played it. I guess usually when I start getting the bug for TDM/Thief I start modelling/mapping...

Anyway, was great fun, a well put together mission. 2 hours, 5,000+ loot on difficult. All objectives completed, though I had to cheat (look on forum) and no clip to get the map

I was looking in the right spot, but the problem with the hidden lever bookcase is there are 20 drawrs and items to frob, makes it VERY hard to get the tiny lever. I suggest people cut down on useable items in the close proximity.

I only got it by no clipping and flying back and forth frob spamming

As someone mentioned the patrols might've been a little light. But it was more about exploring to me anyway. So I didn't have too many tense 'I'm gonna die' moments, but you still have to be careful.

I thought the lockpicking was a bit much. There were lot's of things to pick, and most of them were in safe zones anyway. I think half the chests/boxes could've just been open.

Really beautiful map, I really felt like I was there. When I DL'ed I was thinking, little monasarty, quick map, but 2 hours isn't that quick, that place was very large. Great having a map too, probably would';ve gotten frustrating without it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 1 month later...

The forum can be a busy place. You can't expect every question to be seen right away. I'm sure you will be looking for a full refund..oh wait, that's right...we're all here working for free while we raise our families and hold full time jobs.

Glad you found the answer though.

Have a nice day.

The forum can be a busy place. You can't expect every question to be seen right away. I'm sure you will be looking for a full refund..oh wait, that's right...we're all here working for free while we raise our families and hold full time jobs.

Glad you found the answer though.

Have a nice day.

Seriously, is this proper way of responding an arrogant & rude person?

• 7 months later...

This is without a doubt one of the best missions I've played - old-school horror. Gave me goosebumps, like Inverted Manse all over again.

I found one bug, climbing on top of the upright sarcophagus in the crypt, at the end of the hallway that leads into the chamber with the book. If I keep close to the wall, and then jump up and mantle onto the sarcophagus, I swing right through the wall during the mantle animation, and I can see outside the map for a moment. This is easy to reproduce, and I tried to take a screenshot, but I couldn't get it to come out right.

This might be possible in other missions - it doesn't seem like it would be unique to a certain map, but I'm not sure. I looked at the mantling code, and as far as I can tell, it checks whether the path is clear for you to climb up into, but it doesn't check whether the swinging-side-to-side part of the mantling animation has room to stay inside the walls. Does this make sense?

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished replaying this (one of my favorites) and am wondering if lighting was changed or am I remembering incorrectly?

I seem to remember several lamps lit up the hallways and rooms of the 2nd floor with well placed shadows and the occasional need for a water arrow. Upon playing this time around the, library for example, only had one small lamp lit, there were no lamps lit leading through to the barracks and the next hallway over leading to the blocked guest wing. As well as no lamps were lit leading to the rooms in the guest wing. I know a couple of spots had light at one time because I used the boxes to block it rather than waste an arrow.

I found the challange of this mission was pretty much gone without the light so am left wondering if this is a bug maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Man am I impressed, finally a big map worthy of thief 1-2. Now I have to say right off the bat its a damn good mission from a visual perspective. Its dark to and a cathedral of adequate size :o

The amount of enemies are very satisfying with the tougher revenants, keeping me to using the sparse fire arrows and mines only when I need the time to search rooms.

A fair bit of loot that aslong as you go through ever room you will find most of it, although there is one challenge that involves some climbing and rope arrows which was very satisfying.

couldn't find the treasure map after searching the room.. am I missing something? the clue said search the room -_- only to find a note that says its hidden where no one will find it... so that really helps :(

Edited by TheUnbeholden

However much to my surprise I found that I could kill revenants with sword which made the difficulty go right down :( I wish I hadn't found that out.

Revenants look much more menacing than ghouls but they seem to be vulnerable to the sword. Should take 4 hits and not 2.

I suppose it makes sense but undead are supposed to be tougher than us humans, without all those pesky organs holding us back (even if they have that breastplate its not hard to avoid hitting it).

ah nevermind I restarted the game and it seems to take 5-7 hits now, phew thats a relief... now I get to die a much deserved death when they come at me.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 5 months later...

Lots of fun and an excellent map. I personally liked the layout and the upper deserted floors. Gave that lonely solitary feeling I think one would get from an old abandoned monastery; its not like the whole place was that way, only the upper floors where no one would really be save for the random guard. Any intruders have to come in through the ground floors. It felt right.

Some neat ideas, with the crypt skulls and breakable tombs which I figured out on my own. Ones broken, lets see if any of the others break, and they did, all of them! Haha.. loved it. Kept thinking if I read the book by the alter it would summon something or awaken whatever was in that iron maiden box in the hall with all the blood in front of it. Would have been neat.

Beautiful stained glass lighting on the spiral stairs and in the cathedral, just wanted to frolic in the colored light.

Enjoyed the upper courtyard areas a lot and the hidden passageways too.

Had some issues figuring out where the treasure map was cause I thought "i've searched everything and it just can't be here"... silly me.

Thoroughly enjoyed this mission and its definitely on my top 5 list of FMs.

Thank you!

Edited by Lux

• 4 months later...

Pretty good mission so far. I'm playing because it's close to Halloween and it seems to be on everyone's Top 10 list for creepiness. I need some assistance, though. I'm unable to find the...

treasure map in the desk (in Room 4), despite the hints given above. Please provide the exact location of the secret switch. Which drawer, cupboard, or cosmetic feature of the desk... and if it happens to be somewhere within those vertical slats holding paperwork vertically on the right side of the desk, please tell me which exact slot it's in and the specific location within that slot (high, medium, low, front, back). It's very difficult to highlight objects in desks, chests and drawers in TDM since TDM very strongly prefers to highlight cupboard doors, entire drawers and entire chests rather than the objects within, which is frequently a bit frustrating (not just in this mission, but all) -- so I'm sure that that isn't helping to make the switch any easier to locate. I've already spent at least 30 minutes trying to examine every part of the room, of which at least 15 minutes was for the desk alone once I heard that's precisely where I need to look. I've looked at and around the desk with lights doused and not-doused, and with using my lantern, etc. Sorry, but I've lost my patience with this puzzle, and most of it is because having to deal with the desk door and drawer mechanics of TDM (I'm getting tired of fighting with them ;) ). Hoping you could help :) Maybe even tell me what the switch looks like and how large it is. At this point, I just desire the exact solution so I can move on...

Edited by Darkness_Falls

Pretty good mission so far. I'm playing because it's close to Halloween and it seems to be on everyone's Top 10 list for creepiness. I need some assistance, though. I'm unable to find the...

treasure map in the desk (in Room 4), despite the hints given above. Please provide the exact location of the secret switch. Which drawer, cupboard, or cosmetic feature of the desk... and if it happens to be somewhere within those vertical slats holding paperwork vertically on the right side of the desk, please tell me which exact slot it's in and the specific location within that slot (high, medium, low, front, back). It's very difficult to highlight objects in desks, chests and drawers in TDM since TDM very strongly prefers to highlight cupboard doors, entire drawers and entire chests rather than the objects within, which is frequently a bit frustrating (not just in this mission, but all) -- so I'm sure that that isn't helping to make the switch any easier to locate. I've already spent at least 30 minutes trying to examine every part of the room, of which at least 15 minutes was for the desk alone once I heard that's precisely where I need to look. I've looked at and around the desk with lights doused and not-doused, and with using my lantern, etc. Sorry, but I've lost my patience with this puzzle, and most of it is because having to deal with the desk door and drawer mechanics of TDM (I'm getting tired of fighting with them ;) ). Hoping you could help :) Maybe even tell me what the switch looks like and how large it is. At this point, I just desire the exact solution so I can move on...

Exact location:

Right next to the bottle in this shot

post-2221-0-08900800-1383287812_thumb.jpg

Excellent mission. Really great mapping (if a little samey at times), lighting is a little meh perhaps, fun to play through, not too difficult, clear objectives, good enemy placement. Didn't really find it that scary although there were a few effective moments and there was one scripted event that startled me. I experienced many audio errors, oftentimes the ghost ambiance would start playing and cut off abruptly. Same with the coughing portraits (not sure if that is a bug with TDM in general).

Oh People,

I look forward to playing this mission jesps. From what I have read so far this is going to be an epic night for me. I just installed Xcom... I know late but the install took so long and it's ready now to play but I thought I would have a look online at my favorite site While it was installing and your release was here so I Know Xcom will wait till I spend some time playing

Flakebridge Monastery

. I will post what I think and my opinions when I finish.

Starting down load Now and thank all for your thought, Intellect, Creativity and Abilities:) They far out way many and should be nurtured and inspired.

Edited by Tr00pertj

Laptop:Metabox P370SM3- Intel Core i7-4800MQ- 2x GTX780M SLI- 16G 1600Mhz- 500G Samsung mSata-1TB Hitachi HDD- 120Hz LG 1080p.Desktops:i75930k-2x GTX980 SLI-16G 2133Mhz-Evo120GSSD-Swift PG278Q1440p Gsync.Spare:AMD A10-7850K-APU-8G 1866Mhz-seagate 4TB-120G ssd. LoL Old:P75-1:1FSB-8M ram 512MB Maxtor HDD-1MB Cirrus Logic video chip-still got the parts somewhere?First PC-Tandy 512K Color computer.

• 2 weeks later...