Example Entrant Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme captured?

• No Season defined?
    • Barely defined Season
    • Season is clear nothing more
    • Season is captured well
    • Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

I've been thinking of donating a prize not for this contest but for a larger contest sometime in the future. Maybe a video card, or some software or a bundle. Their would have to be a minimum amount of participants though. Let me know if anybody would like to contribute to the next project.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are willing to donate, then I think it would be fair for you to choose the theme for the next contest AH.

I suppose you could still throw some preferences up for a vote then take the highest vote but the real fun of these contests is seeing what happens when mappers are painted into a corner and have to come up with creative ways to make their mission match their own vision.

So a contest with every arbitrary preference of the prize-donator would be a perfect obstacle course for mappers to navigate.

If players want more missions of a certain type, they can follow-suit and setup contests with their own donations for the prize to coax mappers to make their preferred mission style.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I've been thinking of donating a prize not for this contest but for a larger contest sometime in the future. Maybe a video card, or some software or a bundle. Their would have to be a minimum amount of participants though. Let me know if anybody would like to contribute to the next project.

Or, you could announce a contest with a cool prize is coming and ask for interested mappers.

Then the mappers and you form the panel that decides on the theme. The prize donating person could of course be the head of the theme deciding panel.

Basically what I mean is: if the mappers have a possibility to affect the theme decision, you will get more participants in the contest.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well I have a Samsung 256GB SSD to donate as well as two 256GB 7200 RPM drives for a laptop. I could also get something else for a desktop I guess, but I would need some suggestions. Computer parts are always popular.

256MB SSD.... :blink: AH what exactly do you do that you can give away a £400 hard drive..?

It was the original drive that came with my laptop, I took it out to put in 2 640 GB 7200 rpm drives in RAID 0. I couldn't afford another 256 GB SSD and 1 drive wasn't enough space.

I didn't say it was slow, it's not. In fact it's really fast:

--------------------------------------------------

CrystalDiskMark 2.2 © 2007-2008 hiyohiyo

Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

--------------------------------------------------

Sequential Read : 223.357 MB/s

Sequential Write : 183.551 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 179.169 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 127.959 MB/s

Random Read 4KB : 23.635 MB/s

Random Write 4KB : 3.065 MB/s

Test Size : 100 MB

Date : 2009/12/27 21:06:2

And I did do a FF wipe after cleaning out the drive. It's very fresh ready to go :)

It's just that I needed more space and I wanted to run RAID, but a second SSD at the time was over 800$.

What's the actual deadline for this contest? I had a wonderful dream last night that it was a year from now, and that I actually had a fighting chance of making it.:rolleyes:

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Officially it's June 1st but, as with previous contests, I will be sending out a note to ask if any entrants need an official extension. Other mission authors will be free to revise their missions until the last extension date is over.

A word of advice:

It is better (from a voting perspective) to beta-test with more people and get it right at first than to release and discover flaws then release again. While I applaud any author who returns to a released mission to refine it further :wub:, the time to complete the missions and vote is limited. So the chance to replay a fixed version of an already release mission may not be there (unless you're Sotha and you can release 3 missions in the span of a contest :laugh: ) and many folks will not do the courtesy of retracting their vote for the revised version. In short, at least half of your votes will likely be for the quality of the original release.

(Well... I suppose you could create a new thread for the revised version and ask that any votes in the original thread be discarded :unsure: )

Edited by nbohr1more

unless you're Sotha and you can release 3 missions in the span of a contest :laugh:

Just for the record: I have never released three missions in the span of a contest and I strongly doubt I am capable of such a feat. Or maybe I would, but I'd be forcibly sent to the local DR rehab center. And the burnout recovery would take at least of half-a-year of only my sports, tv, milk and cookies for my free time. :P

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

ALRIGHT! :)

Thanks Biker!

The current standings:

Sotha (Released!)

Jesps

Carnage

Ocn

Shadowhide

Bikerdude

Fieldmedic ! :)

With a couple of "maybe" entrants:

Midnight

moneyobie

(edited per request ^_^ )

Edited by nbohr1more

any news on your missions guys ?

Yes, mine is progressing (slowly), but I think it is realistic to have it finished in time for the contest. It is a small winter FM, sequel to Flakebridge Monastery.

any news on your missions guys ?

Well, I'm just getting started again after a rather long break. And I'm struggeling to get things to work properly. I can't seem to capture the mood I'm after. And I can't get the AIs to behave accordingly. Plus my building style is rather square for this decade.:(

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Keep at it Ocn!

I wouldn't worry about the beauty of your architecture. While it's cool to have some organic dilapidation (ala Melan style cities) or ornate vaulting (etc), we live in boxy buildings and they provide a realistic backdrop. Just focus on your AI, story, and creative strengths and it'll turn-out great.

Regarding Jesps with his winter themed mission:

I have come to the conclusion that snow-filled missions feel more realistic in TDM because the real ambient light level produced by real snow reflection is akin to the brightened ambient that the player sees in the TDM shadows. The only thing that is off is that a Thief dressed in black would be visible for miles on a snowy moon-lit night. A white outfit would fix this but would then require a costume change once inside... It would be cool if a "costume equip" event could use the lightgem modifier cvar to such that when you enter an indoor area (info location) you are full-bright but then if you equip a black costume the lg modifier would return to normal behavior.

Fieldmedic ?

Please remove that questionmark, mate...as I said, I've faught ferociously with this FM so not even I cannot give in and dump it. It shall reach the scene even if I'm gonna get herpes in the process...!

As allways, I've taken water over my head as we say here in Sweden...or bitten over a too large chunk of food...

Edited by Fieldmedic