The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission Reviews, walkthroughs

Springheel

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I just finished Above the City. That was an excellent game - I really enjoyed all the 'up and down' jumping etc.,.

The whole game was a lot of fun and the drunk guard's dialogue is priceless. Whoever did the voice for that guard should get an award for one of the best moments of any mission (I've played) so far.

Terrific finish too - actually makes my efforts feel rewarded.

• 2 months later...

Not a review, per se, but a nice shout-out to TDM as the future of Thief: http://www.dsogaming.com/users-articles/users-articles-games-with-unique-gameplay/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Very nice review of Score to Settle (spoilers)

http://www.wasder.net/the-dark-mod-a-score-to-settle/

• 5 months later...

Taquito's Fan Mission Review: Reputation to Uphold. By Springheel.

Visuals/ 9.90

One of the most beautiful and detailed maps I've seen in this game so far. The design and art direction is in the level of excellence. The elements of the environments make the city feel alive, even if the mission is pretty straightforward. Plus with this level of detail I did not encounter any fps drops, which is fantastic. This has definitely set the bar pretty high in terms of architecture and level of detail in a map. The map maker was clever enough to take architectural elements and implement them on his map flawlessly. This map definitely sets a standard and precedent of how maps can and should be presented to the fans.

Gameplay/ 8.10

This is probably the weakest point of this mission. I personally believe core elements of the gameplay should not be touched. Why? Because it makes the players feel this game is a bit less of a game and more of a contraption for map makers. The core elements of the game play like how much the player is seen in the dark is something I believe should be uniform within all missions of this game, changing it depending on missions makes the core elements of this game feel a bit weak. Using traps or more guards is something I think map makers should consider more as elements of difficulty rather than core elements in this game. I also missed other gameplay elements like traps or puzzles that could had easily enriched the gameplay experience.

Overall Experience/ 9.00

Overall I consider this mission at the level of excellence overall. It might not bring something new to the table in terms of game experience but it definitely excels in terms of architectural elements and attention to detail while maintaining a smooth level of fps. This mission also proofs that TDM can easily get away with lineal scripted gameplay and still be satisfying. That's because the solid structure of the game allows to create a more controlled experience without making the player feel handicapped. Unfortunately this game is conected storywise to another mission, as I think it could have been a great replacement for Tears of St. Lucia as a standard mission with the game with a few tweaks. Overall I loved the mission enough to make a review. Hope to see more missions with this level of beauty and intricate detailing in the future. :)

Ps. English is not my first language so my apologies if there some misspelling errors.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

That's awesome Moonbo; some cross-promotional stuff going on here, bringing attention to both your writing and TDM.

"Fancy burricks are afraid of dogs, if they encounter each other the dog barks and the burricks poop." - Thief: Deadly Shadows Game Designer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

TTLG Megathread reviews:

Patently Dangerous

I just played this, and excellent mission. At first I found it really difficult to find a way to progress past the ground floor. It was only after

trying to remove a couple of AI that I alerted one, and bolted for the entry gate. There I saw an AI open a door just inside the gate that

I was sure was a fake. It took me quite a long time to find that and after an hour of strugging to find a way to advance, I was ready to

look up a walkthrough when the above occurred.

Brilliant story telling, though it took a long time for it to start due to my flounderings, since I had no rope arrows. Surprisingly the first

thing I found when I got to the rooves were 2 rope arrows lol. Perfect amount.

Only thing I would've liked to see was after you find Sorens Diary, an objective to drop it off to the police in Bensons place. I did that

anyway since it seemed the natural thing to do with such a bastard as Soren. lol

Great story, loved the spawning of Crakkit behind me in warehouse just when I was looking for that key, he pops up with it. lol Not sure

I get the snail in the coffin though, didn't remember anything about that especially since you couldn't pocket it.

Great story telling. More would be good, I thought there was more when I found a route around the parapets, until I realised it lead to

a chest with a Gas arrow. Mission was well setup, though I would've liked some tip regarding seemingly the only way to get to the roof,

took me ages to find it. Visuals were great. The light on the painting on Damuddys place was a nice device, made me realise there was

a secret nearby n took a few mins to find it. lol

Definitely one of the top missions to play.

Thanks Dem, really enjoyed it.

Ven

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 3 weeks later...

Hey members! Some of you guys might know me from TTLG. I just updated my YouTube channel with a Supreme Ghost run of TDM's Training Mission. Catch it

. My videos are rather long and thorough, so sorry if this isn't your cup of tea. You can catch the written ghost report and loot list over at my site HERE (click on 'FMs' then scroll to the bottom).

Edited by Klatremus
  • Like 2

Welcome, Klatremus! Please keep us updated, I watch your videos often. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Definitely one of the top missions to play.

Thanks Dem, really enjoyed it.

Ven

You're welcome. :)

Just to answer your questions, the guard opening the door is actually a bug. The proper way to get off the ground was

the upstairs bedroom window at Benson's opens to get you the key to Harlan's house off Harlan's belt. You read about it in a readable from the far west house. And there is a giant hint "Check for openable windows" in the load screen. I tried to make it as apparent as I could without spoiling it, and of course the answer is in the hint thread.

As for the snail,

there's a readable in Soren's house downstairs that explains it belongs to his daughter, just so you know what the coffin is for and just how evil Crattick is. I just saw Airship's (Merry's) walkthru and she actually takes the snail with her, and I thought that was touching.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 2 weeks later...

This is in french, but seems to be a review of TDM as a whole, rather than a specific mission? Seems pretty indepth..wish I could understand it.

• Like 1

This is in french, but seems to be a review of TDM as a whole, rather than a specific mission? Seems pretty indepth..wish I could understand it.

"C'est plus qu'une bonne chose : c'est le nirvana pour un fan!" sums it up: "it's more than a good thing, it's paradise for a fan" (nirvana is a weird word to use... wonder if that's a French thing).

(snip a bit)

I was a bit freaked out by the "Thief Dark Doom" header appearing midway in :ph34r: But it is cool to see the menu in French :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 4 months later...

Strange not to see this one here since Springheel commented on it's associated Youtube video:

http://www.oldpcgaming.net/thief-the-dark-mod-review/

A little harsh on St Lucia but overall pretty positive.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I saw the video but hadn't seen the review until now. An interesting read.

System Requirements: ... 64 MB RAM, 2MB Video,

Say what?! :huh:

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

There is a point to the "more hardcore than thou" line of criticism. It is easy to forget we have been playing Thief missions for 15 years (!), and build unforgiving missions. Not that there is anything wrong with a few of those, but thinking of new players should be something to consider.

(I am not sure about the validity of criticism on St. Lucia. It never seemed too hard to me. Although, again, that's after 15 years of thieving.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved