The Dark Mod Forums

Any good SP FPS to recommend?

Melan

Also, the first parts of portal were just getting you used to controls, what to do. Some games have a tutorial stage just for that.

But after awhile they do get quite complex.

the one where you move the angled wall, jump down the hole to get speed to shoot out of the angle/across the gap into a portal you shoot when you are flying fast. All timed very closely too. That one took me quite awhile to figure out

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

On the point of Portals. I was never really to into it myself tbh. I cannot quite point to why I didn't like it all that much but I can say level design never really had anything to do with it imo. But considering how big of a following it got there's obviously something they liked I didn't so I'd say check out the demo at least.

An FPS I liked is STALKER shadow's of Chernobyl with the LURK mod as well as Stalker Call of Prypryat. If you like these two then try out STALKER Clear Skies.

Given it seems like you like fast paced games too, try Killing Floor. It has great mechanics and despite being repetitive I logged many hours playing that game making it worth way more than the 20 bucks I spent on it when it was new. (not sure how much it's priced at now).

Another game that was a ton of fun which I want to reinstall was Quake Wars Enemy Territory. There's so much indepth mechanics and things to do. Constant fast paced action and many ways to do things make this game a lot of fun. (I should also note I never really liked Team Fortress 2, so it offers something different from that genre which it is often compared to).

XIII was released recently on gog.com. It was a pretty good FPS with a unique art style. I must have completed it seven-ish years ago. I recall one of the bad guys singing "You can fly!!" while sneaking around and it really made me laugh.

Still, I'll NEVER buy another Ubisoft product again.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

@topic creator: Have you played

? It was built on the Zdoom engine, but is more of a melee combat game than a shooter. In this game, ammo isn't handed out like candy. The game took me back to 1992, playing Streets of Rage at a friend's house on her Genesis. I started cracking up when I saw the fire extinguisher!

Also, the music is fantastic. It isn't midi. It isn't orchestrated, but it also isn't excessively loud/annoying rock either. The tunes are just right, with very catchy melodies.

The game has multiple endings and multiple paths, but it is quite short.

• 4 weeks later...

Tribes: Vengeance is one of my favourite games. I've been meaning to try the other Tribes games but haven't got around to it. I played it as an FPS, but you can toggle to 3rd person and play how you want.

The movement in this game is amazing, a combination of hovering with a jetpack and skating along the floor. The story is great, with a nice twist, and I found myself really connecting with some of the characters. It has great music. The gameplay is varied, with some very open outdoor levels to explore.

Also, The Nameless Mod for Deus Ex was absolutely fantastic. I must have played it through 6 or 7 times. Some folks complained about the maps being too large, which I guess is sort-of a valid point, but that is better than the alternative. I would rather have a slightly stretched out world to explore than a world where all locations are a hop-skip-and-a-jump away from each other like DXIW.

The TNM soundtrack is worth the download alone...

Agreed and agreed. The premise is the definition of a "hard sell", but TNM did everything Deus Ex did in player choice and depth and more. And yes indeed, I've got Steve Foxon's tracks on my Winamp playlists (also check his score for Redsun 2020 and DX: Zodiac).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Agreed and agreed. The premise is the definition of a "hard sell", but TNM did everything Deus Ex did in player choice and depth and more. And yes indeed, I've got Steve Foxon's tracks on my Winamp playlists (also check his score for Redsun 2020 and DX: Zodiac).

The Nameless Mod is pretty stunning. When my laptop died I had a few happy hours playing it on my netbook. Ended up a bit bored though going through WorldCorp and trying not to kill plot critical enemies. And that's one of the first missions!

It does have a huge amount of work in - lots of humour - lots of player decisions.

Basically if you want more Deus Ex --- There it is. =-P

The Cassandra Project is brilliant but it's only one level unfortunately. =-/

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Cassandra might as well have been called Project Blue Balls after all the brilliant ideas that went into it and didn't materialise. Kieron Gillen once posted his ideas for the actual missions, and they were pretty damn breathtaking. :(

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Cassandra might as well have been called Project Blue Balls after all the brilliant ideas that went into it and didn't materialise. Kieron Gillen once posted his ideas for the actual missions, and they were pretty damn breathtaking. :(

Ha ha! Tell me about it! Surely we could put stuff like Black Mesa in the "PBB" category as well? This is why I'm so blown away by the good management of TDM: despite staff having to move on and leaving areas like animation fallow for a while, all the critical stuff works - has been released - and is being improved upon --- AND IT'S A SINGLE PLAYER MOD!

Yippee!

Most mods of this quality are multiplayer ones like Living Legends, which makes me a sad panda.

I find myself really wrestling to enjoy Deus Ex though after a decade and playing it so much - the engine is so clunky and combat so tiresome.

---

I'm going to buy the Thief Complete Collection - I never dove into the world of fan missions, and I've been enjoying the DM missions so much I'm going to maybe have a go at Shadows of the Metal Age. I wanted to start a forum topic asking what's the best way of exploring the years old fan missions for the first Thief games - but I'm worried that I'll start a bit of rumble. =-/

My latest FPS discovery is called "Project IGI" (I hear Project IGI 2 is good too).

This is really fun. I recommend it to people.

Contemporary military setting. The typical mission is some absolutely massive map (esp by 2002 standards) of a complex you have to break into and infiltrate, weaving between guard patrols and cameras. It's not like Splinter Cell or Thief but it's definitely got sneaking gameplay in mind in the design. But it's also still very much a core FPS where you're sneaking and rushing your way to a good vantage point and taking guys out with your guns, or hoping you can take a guy out before he sees you.

That reminds me the other best FPS with a sneaking edge is Vietcong, where you're sneaking through thick jungle praying you see the bad guy before he sees you, and you're frantically scanning every distant bush wondering if that leaf just moved. That game easily had some of the most intense gameplay, just up against a handful of skinny VC in sandles and shorts hiding in bushes... but man it's terrifying when you have to make your way through walls of jungle and don't know where they are but only a bad feeling they might strike at any second.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

My latest FPS discovery is called "Project IGI" (I hear Project IGI 2 is good too).

This is really fun. I recommend it to people.

Contemporary military setting. The typical mission is some absolutely massive map (esp by 2002 standards) of a complex you have to break into and infiltrate, weaving between guard patrols and cameras. It's not like Splinter Cell or Thief but it's definitely got sneaking gameplay in mind in the design. But it's also still very much a core FPS where you're sneaking and rushing your way to a good vantage point and taking guys out with your guns, or hoping you can take a guy out before he sees you.

Ha! Reading this post before I went to bed last night - I then had a dream about playing the first game!

I've got a copy of it here I'm giving away to a charity shop with a few dozen other games I'm clearing out. It had gorgeous huge maps - but it was window dressing, mostly. I found the lack of a quicksave or even checkpoint save so infuriating I gave up after 6th mission I think, just watched my brother complete it instead. The endlessly respawning AI enemies were unforgiveable - without them I feel it would have been a top notch game and felt "fair" to play! =-P

The best feature was that amazing Zip Wire stuff - and the wonderful satellite uplink / binoculars. That mission were you're hunted in the snow by a helicopter is brilliant.

The lack of quicksaves means you have to play ironman, so you get to know the levels really well and hone your approach. I don't mind it so much since the whole gameplay is focused on slipping in and out on the sly; you shouldn't be shooting your way through and a missing quicksave keeps you from doing that. I wouldn't like it if the gameplay were different & not infiltration focused.

But you're right about the spawning AI. That's really intolerable for any FPS, but especially one that otherwise has a realistic vibe, making it doubly worse that what you see isn't all you get.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You know what has been a real stress reliever lately? Just Cause 2 :) I've already finished all missions but I'm still finding lots of different entertainments there! Don't expect a deep experience, though.. it's like a bad action movie. Even the bad acting, present in most games today, works in favor here :laugh:

I don't mind respawning enemies as long as they're not infinite. When I clear out a particular area of a level and come back later to find bad guys, that is a good thing because it keeps me on my toes and surprises me. However, when I have to keep taking out endless amounts of enemies while trying to find some piece of a puzzle it gets very annoying.

Also, I pretty much fell in love with TNM when...

While playing, I went to the corporate district, knocked out the store manager in the weapon shop and robbed the place. About an hour later, I returned to the corporate district after completing a mission and I was confrunted by thugs who had been sent by the store manager to teach me a lesson.

For every action in a game, there should be a reaction. If I disobey orders or steal from allies, I shouldn't get a "mission failure" screen, but suffer some negative consequences in the future. NPCs should remember how I treat them, using different bits of dialogue based on prior encounters. TNM got this all right!

Another game I had started getting into was Strife for the PC. I purchased a copy, played it a bit, but lost the freaking disk. It is similar to Doom, but with RPG elements.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on the thread's recommendations, I have continued looking into these games:

Mirror's Edge: Finished it (in small, small installments). Very cool, finally another game that is about evasion - but in a completely different way than Thief/TDM. The setting and art direction deserve praise. I have long had ideas about an "IKEA-antiutopia", a glittering and wholesome surveillance state, and Mirror's Edge kinda gives you that, refreshing after the continuous rusty wastelands and urban blight of various FPS games. It also has one of the few good stories in video games (it reminds me of 90s adventure games of all things, before games became all Holliwoody). Pretty predictable that it doesn't seem to be getting a sequel, but the story as it is is self-contained and has good closure. I may replay this later.

NecroVisioN: Still playing (just got into a mech of some kind). Has a definite B movie feel to it, but ironically, it also captures some of the plain nastyness of WWI in between the Bruce Campbell ripoffs and occult zombies-and-demons stuff. The brutal close quarters combat is part of the reason, but not the only one - from mud- and water-filled trenches and a wrecked landscape to poison gas, barbed wire and the unburied dead, it has everything. For a budget title, it also looks very good. It is interesting to see the heavy reliance on CGTextures photosources, which creates a feeling of deja vu. Some of the textures in there have even made it into TDM (or will make their way later).

Both of these games are completely linear, which is more noticeable in NecroVisioN (well, it has side areas where you can find "vampire artifacts" to power up your special abilities).

Edited by Melan

I really liked Mirror's Edge too but it definitely suffers from what I call.. *ahem* .. the-fps-mapper syndrome, or TFPSMS for short :rolleyes: To illustrate what I mean, let's take our beloved Thief as an example, if it suffered from TFPSMS the player would constantly find himself in a situation where he can't avoid combat. Or what if Sonic had TFPSMS?! we would have to stop before every loop because most of them had spikes randomly appearing.

That's not entirely true. I beat the game on highest difficulty with only two actual fight scenes. Being shot at is no reason to shoot back, you know? ;)

Mirror's Edge: [...] I may replay this later.

Try the speed runs and timetrials. Those kept me happy way longer than the campaign. Also maybe check out some videos of those on youtube. There are quite a few bugs in the physics engine, enabling players to achieve ludicrous timings. :D Back when those bugs weren't detected yet, I actually scored pretty well in the world rankings, but after some time I dropped tremendously. :wacko:

NecroVisioN: [...]For a budget title, it also looks very good. It is interesting to see the heavy reliance on CGTextures photosources, which creates a feeling of deja vu. Some of the textures in there have even made it into TDM (or will make their way later).

Oh really? I didn't recognize any when I played it, but then again, that was quite a while back. I also thought the game was done by "people can fly" and therefor not being a low-budget production, but I must have had that confused because it just plays so similar to Painkiller. :)

I think I'm gonna hve to try Mirror's Edge one of these days.

I'll add Witcher2 though it's an RPS not and FPS. But we all like medieval swords and monsters crap right? There's a topic in off-topic about it where I described in detail what I've seen so far so I won't go into it here.

But I figured I waited long enough to play #1 when 2 came out so I splurged and bought it, now I think I want to play 1 also, and it's only $5 on steam now i think.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

STiFU: NecroVisioN was done by some of the people from People Can Fly, so the similarities are not accidental. It is a natural evolution of the concept (see PK's final level).

• 3 years later...

To author of this topic

I don't know if you are still interested in searching of good FPS, but:

„Original Unreal: large levels, fantasy-meets-technology aspect, music from the best of the modscene”

Then you can try E.y.e: Divine Cybermancy – futuristic FPS/RPG with great level design and high quality soundtrack. Also story is very good/ Philip K. Dick's style for me.

The main level designer of this project was this forum's member Scacky and he did solid work at that time.

I still play that game, rough diamond as some people say, and I still admire it.

Demo of E.y.e is easy to grab from internet or Steam.

Thanks - the original Unreal is one of my favourite games, and I have also been eyeing E.Y.E for a while.