The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Q4 map conversion YanTdm1. (28/03/11)

Bikerdude

Morning Taffer's

Leading on from the "Darkmod inspiration thread" where Yan Ostretsov (yes that Yan, the one who works for ID software) kindly gave me/us permission to use his map and textures for TDM. So with that in mind, I set about converting the map from Q4 to TDM...

• Loaded the map up in D3ed and saved, as the map would load of the bat in DR.
  • loaded the map up in DR and bgan the task of general tinying up and making TDM friendly.
  • Then added some TDM resource to give you lot something to do, rather than just look around.

" You have snuck into a local thieves guild hideout in an abandoned factory or some such and the word on the street is the boss has a nice little stash hidden somewhere. The grate you used to gain entry to the hideout has jammed, so your gonna have to find another way out..."

shot00001yl.jpg

Enjoy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damnit!! i thought this was gonna be like christmas coming early. the textures are heartbreakingly low res, and the normals seem a bit off as well. especially crestfallen about the old looking white painted wood boards (i really need some). I suppose this used to look great for q4, and still looks great now as long as you maintain a distance of at least 20 feet from all surfaces.

great work on proof of concept that this stuff can be imported with good effect, biker! the layout of the map itself is pretty cool, and i like the additions made (the machinery with rotating gears and electrical zappy zap antennae is great).

edit: screw it i'm using that wood texture in my map. player can't get closer than 2 stories away from it anyway in my map.

Edited by ungoliant

It's really a great-looking mission, so thanks to Yan for allowing it to be converted, and of course Bikerdude for doing the conversion work! There have been few genuinely good run-down industrial environments in TDM missions, and this really fits the bill, right down to the late 90s Quake-inspired look. It looks like it had actually been exposed to the elements for a long time, not an easy effect to achieve. Too bad about the low-res textures; TDM could really use stuff like that - ruined metal, mossy stones and bricks, rotted wood - but there are very few good photosources for that kind of thing. Even so, at least some of the decals have great potential, like those girders (:wub:) or the mossy stuff hanging from various places.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It looks like it had actually been exposed to the elements for a long time, not an easy effect to achieve. Too bad about the low-res textures; TDM could really use stuff like that - ruined metal, mossy stones and bricks, rotted wood - but there are very few good photosources for that kind of thing.

http://www.opacity.us

We need one of those urban explorer types, who would be kind enough the provide us with some photos, which could be used for texture creation.

I love the gruesome decayed scenes at that site. There is some morbid beauty in those abandoned places.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Wow!

That was a quick!

The AI placement here is terrific and this environment just oozes atmosphere.

(Now I have to go and find that old Q4 castle map I saw a year ago... ;) )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Good work Biker - and the author of course. This is fine. I didn't find all the loot but it looks great. I use res 1680 x 1050 and I had no issue with the textures; they look excellent to me and very natural. I see this as a Dark Mod Victorian era FM. Wonderful.

Well I'm glad you lot are enjoying this mini mission, what FPS are people getting? as its hard to tell on my gtx480.

Have added a poll as, as now I realize this lil map has some of Sotha's playability with my detailing etc. Im hoping that Serps/Springs/Melano can update the resolution on the textures so we can make use of them. I know the hanging moss and dirt decals can be used out of the box though for similar locations distance-wise from the player..

^_^

cool Bikerdude! thanks.

and an example it's not only about high-res that do create visual atmosphere. even on a typical FPS MP gameplay map.

yep world ambient should be lower.

a solid 50-60 FPS on my four years old rig.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Can the poll be changed to the usual way of rating TDM FMs? If we don't have something consistent it'll be hard to calculate general trends and statistics.

Plus, I don't see why you should be excluded from voting when you think something is not "ok" (not saying that's the case here).

Edited by Briareos H

To be honest I didn't like it. It was looking mostly a modern place with those textures, and inconsistent with tdm textures. Besides, I agree those textures are low res which is more suitable for distance vision. After all, thanks for letting us to experiment it. Otherwise, we'll say like ooohh too bad we have missed this beautiful enviroment in tdm. :)

cool Bikerdude! thanks.

and an example it's not only about high-res that do create visual atmosphere. even on a typical FPS MP gameplay map.

yep world ambient should be lower.

a solid 50-60 FPS on my four years old rig.

Yeah, I think a lower world ambient would help cover up the lower res textures that folks are talking about too. It's just too bright and hard to hide.

Can the poll be changed to the usual way of rating TDM FMs? If we don't have something consistent it'll be hard to calculate general trends and statistics.

Plus, I don't see why you should be excluded from voting when you think something is not "ok" (not saying that's the case here).

To be honest I didn't like it. It was looking mostly a modern place with those textures, and inconsistent with tdm textures. Besides, I agree those textures are low res which is more suitable for distance vision. After all, thanks for letting us to experiment it. Otherwise, we'll say like ooohh too bad we have missed this beautiful enviroment in tdm. :)

This was nothing more than a proof of concept (a basic conversion of a Q4 map to tdm), I only released it as a little map to give you guys something to do, the voting was changed to reflect this.

Sweet a new map to play! I'll get some screenshots for moddb later on tonight when I get home from work.

Try this link, I lowered the ambient from 8 to 4. 8 is really high on my computer.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2nona089nzi00sv

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Sweet a new map to play! I'll get some screenshots for moddb later on tonight when I get home from work.

honestly i'd leave this one off of moddb. like bd said, its a proof of concept for conversion (we already had st albans cathedral, but nothing from q4 yet). I only say this because I don't think we'd want to give tdm noobs the wrong impression about the "game". best foot forward, and all that.

damnit!! i thought this was gonna be like christmas coming early. the textures are heartbreakingly low res

I have to agree. Looks great from a distance, but really obviously poor up close. There were some decals that might be usable though--the hanging foliage and the rotten boards were effective.

Great atmosphere, the run down look was well done. The textures as already stated, are pretty low res so no screenshots will be forthcoming for Moddb. The layout is obviously made for death match, but I still enjoyed the mission, thanks Bikerdude.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.