The Dark Mod Forums

2 ideas

mimokasi

Hi, I have 2 ideas how on my opinion The Dark Mod would be more fun.

1. Spending loot.

Well yeah, collecting loot is fun, but it would be more fun if I could spend the loot that I collect on equipment .

How about this - if a user could create his account and all the loot that he collects would be stored and he could spend it on equipment in any other mission.

2. About accounts - I think it would be nice if the dark mod user would create an online user account in the game and he could add people to his friends list and there was some sort of rating\achievement system.

1. This is part of a campaign system, which is in the works now.

2. There's really not that many of us, so I think we can do that kind of stuff in the forums. We can have a thread where people post screenshots of their stat screens for different FMs, and that's like a kind of leaderboard, better IMO because it's informal and we can comment and talk about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hi, I have 2 ideas how on my opinion The Dark Mod would be more fun.

1. Spending loot.

Well yeah, collecting loot is fun, but it would be more fun if I could spend the loot that I collect on equipment .

How about this - if a user could create his account and all the loot that he collects would be stored and he could spend it on equipment in any other mission.

2. About accounts - I think it would be nice if the dark mod user would create an online user account in the game and he could add people to his friends list and there was some sort of rating\achievement system.

1. there is also a prob with the difficulty level...if you have 2000 gold a mission is much easyer then the mapper think it should be...or the other way a mission can be unplayable with to less money

2. for what do we need this...thief was ever a fun game on its own way...if you would like to have a ranking and ach. -> COD 1 to black ops

and a ranking of singleplayer missions is senseless i think

Edited by Johannes Burock

[...]

2. for what do we need this...thief was ever a fun game on its own way...if you would like to have a ranking and ach. -> COD 1 to black ops

and a ranking of singleplayer missions is senseless i think

100% signed!

Edited by Darkman

Actually, Taffer rankings are not bestowed by mere gold. It is gained exclusively by climbing up to places considered theoretically impossible to scale (in Thief 1-2, this often involved copious amounts of stacked crates), and posting screenshots of the deed. The first one to do it gets 10x the regular points, the first three imitators 5x, the next 5 3x, and the rest normal ones. There are bad dudes/gals like Lytha and Azal who have several hundred points to their name, and are considered persons of myth and legend nowadays. True story. :unsure:

(BTW, welcome to the forums! :))

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

"1. This is part of a campaign system, which is in the works now."

Sweet!

But make sure to allow mappers to mess with the player's gold amount between missions (cap it down to some maximum, bump it up to some minimum, add or subtract a flat amount, etc, presumably with appropriate explanation in the story - some got stolen/had to be spent on X, you sold a non-loot item you picked up in the mission/you extorted someone with information you found out in the mission, etc), so mappers can address the potential difficulty problems Johannes Burock mentions. They shouldn't have to remove loot which they like the placement of, nor cram the mission full of too much loot, in order to calibrate the difficulty for the next mission. Theoretically, you could address this problem by simply allowing the player to change the cost of items in the store from one mission to the next, but in extreme cases, this might seem ridiculous - can the supply of broadheads really be so low they cost $1000 apiece? Certainly, adjusting the item costs is preferable to messing with the loot amount, when it's within reason.

My opinion was to only allow currency, eg, coins, coin purses, etc. to be used in the shops. This would give the mapper good control of how much is available for the next level shop. The other loot would still carry forward as total campaign loot but you couldn't use eg, a trophy or painting etc to trade in the next shop. It also makes sense that a shop that sells weapons and ammo and even thieving stuff would not necessarily also be a fence for stolen goods.

But anyway, I think there'd also be a mapper option to not carry forward anything.

I thought Fidcal's currency idea was the ideal solution too. It might add a new metagame element too. It's always good to get loot, but it makes currency a special kind of loot so you'd go to more effort to find and get it if you want to stock for the next FM. And of course it frees the author's hand to put as much other loot as they want in for gameplay reasons without worrying about it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

No one solution should be set in stone...mappers will decide what makes sense for their missions. The currency idea only makes sense if missions happen relatively quickly in succession. If months go by, then players could reasonably be expected to fence their goods.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion was to only allow currency, eg, coins, coin purses, etc. to be used in the shops. This would give the mapper good control of how much is available for the next level shop. The other loot would still carry forward as total campaign loot but you couldn't use eg, a trophy or painting etc to trade in the next shop. It also makes sense that a shop that sells weapons and ammo and even thieving stuff would not necessarily also be a fence for stolen goods.

But anyway, I think there'd also be a mapper option to not carry forward anything.

That sounds reasonable / ideal to me. I love the hints in the official Thief series that - when you steal the Horn of Quintis and things like that - that's just to pay your debt / gambling bills / rent / living to stop people from slitting your throat - and the other stuff is your "professional spending" you can spend on luxuries like flash bombs and holy water!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Meh. If it increments your loot count, it should be able to be used in shops. If it's a special loot item that occupies an inventory space or just satisfies an objective, obviously fencing or receiving an reward for that item would be more of a storyline element, one that would inevitably be undermined by the activities of the Watch/establishment/stingy buyer in a campaign.

Edit: I hear campaign support is in for 1.06? Sweet!

Edited by jaxa

1. This is part of a campaign system, which is in the works now.

2. There's really not that many of us, so I think we can do that kind of stuff in the forums. We can have a thread where people post screenshots of their stat screens for different FMs, and that's like a kind of leaderboard, better IMO because it's informal and we can comment and talk about it.

So you mean there will be a campaign? i cant wait! what can you tell us about it? : /

So you mean there will be a campaign? i cant wait! what can you tell us about it? : /

TDM will support campaigns (e.g. instead of just having single missions, you can have missions where completing one carries you over to the next with the items/gold as the mapper wishes).

There will be no official TDM campaign, tho. The (very small and overworked and tired and burnt out) team is busy implementing new features and fixing bugs.

So if you want content, e.g. FMs or even a campaign, you have to create it yourself.

To repeat myself: TDM is a toolset, which you get for free. It is not an entire game that you get for free.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

TDM will support campaigns (e.g. instead of just having single missions, you can have missions where completing one carries you over to the next with the items/gold as the mapper wishes).

There will be no official TDM campaign, tho. The (very small and overworked and tired and burnt out) team is busy implementing new features and fixing bugs.

So if you want content, e.g. FMs or even a campaign, you have to create it yourself.

To repeat myself: TDM is a toolset, which you get for free. It is not an entire game that you get for free.

We know, Tels, and we're deeply, deeply grateful for it as it stands right now. =-3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Sorry about the confusing language. Tels is right. I just meant it can be made part of the campaign system in TDM that allows mappers to make FMs link to one another in a campaign style. It's still up to us the mappers to actually make one. I'm sure a group will come around eventually to it. What we'd need first of all is a good script to build from ... hmmm...

Sorry about the confusing language. Tels is right. I just meant it can be made part of the campaign system in TDM that allows mappers to make FMs link to one another in a campaign style. It's still up to us the mappers to actually make one. I'm sure a group will come around eventually to it. What we'd need first of all is a good script to build from ... hmmm...

Ehh... my bad... laugh.gif

for a second i just asked myself how can i be so lucky... but official campaign or not it doesnt really matter as long as we can have one rolleyes.gif

Maybe there should be a public poll on campaign / loot handling. Or does the incoming system already allow total flexibility of loot/currency/store handling? I was also wondering in another thread whether it would be possible to affect patrol amounts/difficulty etc. by using previous haul counts as a parameter. (Rationale: Grabbing more loot in a particular mission draws more attention to your exploits and allows you to buy more equipment at the shop, so greater difficulty / extra guards becomes a natural response to your money grubbing habit in the context of some campaigns. Something similar could be done by using "stealth score" as a parameter, now that the stealth score's formula seems to be standardized (changes to NPC alertness in future mod versions could alter typical stealth scores though.))

Edited by jaxa