TDM novice campaign invite

brethren

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This sounds like a fun project. I'm interested in helping, though I'm in the process of getting my first FM ready for release. But technical difficulties have brought my FM to a screeching halt and I might need to redo much of my map.. or all of it if I can't find a solution to a total game & graphical desktop lockup when AI are alerted. I was hoping to get it released this month, but now I have my doubts.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

@Biker - just a misunderstanding there, all good now. We know everyone here is being very supportive of the project - I feel the love!

In case I hadn't mentioned everyone, here's the team to date.

brethren

ungoliant

canetoad

Neb

jaxa

fllood

(your name here?) :)

@Biker - just a misunderstanding there, all good now. We know everyone here is being very supportive of the project - I feel the love!

Those few posts got me all confused. So... What happened at Fuckhard street Biker wants ungoliant to remember? On second thought, nevermind.. :P

In case I hadn't mentioned everyone, here's the team to date.

brethren

ungoliant

canetoad

Neb

jaxa

fllood

(your name here?) smile.gif

More seriously:

Sounds good. Are you, brethren, gonna be sort of spokesperson/coordinator/pr-hero of this group? At least I'd be interested in hearing how the project proceeds. You know, info bit here and there. Maybe some WIP screenies to the community? Or are you gonna keep everything private until it is mission release time?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Are you, brethren, gonna be sort of spokesperson/coordinator/pr-hero of this group? At least I'd be interested in hearing how the project proceeds. You know, info bit here and there. Maybe some WIP screenies to the community? Or are you gonna keep everything private until it is mission release time?

I suppose since I started this thing up, I'll be the de facto spokesperson, but I'm sure all the team members will chime in from time to time. Thought once we got started, it might be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to the progress of the project in the public forums somewhere. Better in the editing area, or here, you think?

As far as I'm concerned, all info can be wide open, this is kind of a learning experience anyway. No secrecy really needed, imo.

I suppose since I started this thing up, I'll be the de facto spokesperson, but I'm sure all the team members will chime in from time to time. Thought once we got started, it might be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to the progress of the project in the public forums somewhere. Better in the editing area, or here, you think?

As far as I'm concerned, all info can be wide open, this is kind of a learning experience anyway. No secrecy really needed, imo.

Cool! Editor's Guild is the place, I'm sure. Maybe "Novice Workshop Editing Thread," or something.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I'm cool with it, but doesn't that mean spoilers for people not working on the project?

Might be wise to have a second thread 'Help wanted' just for questions. I don't always have time or inclination to read long discussions with only an occasional problem. Bit like readables and clues really. :laugh:

AFAIK we're planning on having a private forum area for the long internal discussions, the thread brethren spoke of is most likely for announcements or progress updates (if i understood correctly). The newbie DR questions thread will probably suffice if we need extra help from the pros.

Hey, speaking of, are we ever going to get drunk guards in TDM? :laugh: There's got to be a alternate version of Benny.

create guard

create path_anim

set up path anim with idle_drunk anim property

target guard to path_anim

place few bottles around

Proceed with caution!

create guard

create path_anim

set up path anim with idle_drunk anim property

target guard to path_anim

place few bottles around

See SH, that's why you wouldn't be good for the noob campaign, you know too much. ;)

(I guess I know what I'll be adding to my level tonight after work).

ah,I forgot or AI playing animation only once with path_anim ? you probably need path_cycleanim with "angle" property and property that setting how much time Ai should play certain anim...

I done same thing (but another animation) in winterharvest where in prison crazy guy shaking his hands...

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

I considered joining this project, but ultimately I don't think the first thing I should do is join up with a campaign. Even a campaign by novices. I have the summer to put something out, then I embark on a journey that may end with me getting a doctorate; come the fall, I want to minimize the conflicting obligations. On my own, I can shelve it for X years or abandon it completely, work on it just as a means of stress relief.

I think there's actually a drunk spawnarg that halves the AI acuity and automatically plays the drunk vocals and idle animations.

I considered joining this project, but ultimately I don't think the first thing I should do is join up with a campaign. Even a campaign by novices. I have the summer to put something out, then I embark on a journey that may end with me getting a doctorate; come the fall, I want to minimize the conflicting obligations. On my own, I can shelve it for X years or abandon it completely, work on it just as a means of stress relief.

Well, I got my doctorate while also learning the intricacies of Dromed, so it shouldn't be impossible. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, I got my doctorate while also learning the intricacies of Dromed, so it shouldn't be impossible. ;)

True. I'll only know if I have no time to shower more than once a month when I start in the fall. Committing now is not a good idea. (Especially to a woman and especially if I don't have time to shower often.)

• 4 weeks later...

How is this thing going? Have you started work? :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Well, we've assembled a team of 7, and most have decided on their "style" of level. Also, we assigned story writing duties to one team member, to attain some level of continuity. There's an active forum here at TDM to support our efforts which is nice. One of the most interesting threads in our forum to date is the "mapping basics" thread where we share tips and tricks and editing ideas. I've learned quite a bit there already.

Other than that, it's still pretty early - we're only about a month in at the moment. I'm guessing inevitably 1 or 2 members may drop out of the project for various reasons, but we're trying to construct the plot of the campaign to allow for that.

Here are some of the level styles that are planned so far (subject to change, of course):

"Lost City" (that's me)

Outdoors/pagan village

Small school or elite college

Abandoned hospital

Subterranean/cave

More updates as we progress...screenshots are probably a ways off though.