The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

It's a pleasure indeed, and the staff are great guys, I can only concur. ;)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Now, having the menu using this font isn't ideal, but its much better than not having Russian at all :)

Hi. Do you need Russian Carleton font? I have one, it's just needed to be hacked a bit so that Doom3 font convertor could import it. I also have a collection of other fonts that can be used in Dark Mod as placeholders until I draw proper ones.

The problem I've run into is the character 0xFF, the letter "я" in Russian (win-1251), the diacritic dot (˙) in win1250, "ÿ" in win1252. It's not displayed correctly, the space or nbsp is displayed instead. I checked the texture and the index file decompiled by q3font, all seems OK. Here is the screenshot which was made with the test package linked above:

post-8407-130945590192_thumb.jpg

And the way the last paragraph should look like:

post-8407-130945587845_thumb.gif

Is it a some obsqure problem with the font or is a Doom3 bug?

Hi. Do you need Russian Carleton font? I have one, it's just needed to be hacked a bit so that Doom3 font convertor could import it. I also have a collection of other fonts that can be used in Dark Mod as placeholders until I draw proper ones.

As long as the base fonts (TTF) are free to use (no copyright etc!) and you provide us with the D3 font files, I am happy to add them :)

The problem I've run into is the character 0xFF, the letter "я" in Russian (win-1251), the diacritic dot (˙) in win1250, "ÿ" in win1252. It's not displayed correctly, the space or nbsp is displayed instead. I checked the texture and the index file decompiled by q3font, all seems OK. Here is the screenshot which was made with the test package linked above:

post-8407-130945590192_thumb.jpg

And the way the last paragraph should look like:

post-8407-130945587845_thumb.gif

Is it a some obsqure problem with the font or is a Doom3 bug?

I have no idea, sorry. But I guess that the font render simply has a bug and renders by accident only up to 0xFE - maybe their loop is:

for (i = 0; i < 0xFF; i++)
 {
 .. do something
 }

The font rendering is closed-source, so we cannot fix this, tho.

Edit: As a workaround, if you find a free, unused character, and paint the "я" in it, I could arrange the script that generates the language files to replace all 0xFF with 0xwhatever, then D3 would display the letter correctly. It seems that 0x98 (152) is free? https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Windows-1251

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

As long as the base fonts (TTF) are free to use (no copyright etc!)
Ah, I think it's better for me to just redraw them based on original DarkMod fonts. As for the Carleton font though, it's made by Darkfate admin, DonSleza4e, so I think it's OK :).

The font rendering is closed-source, so we cannot fix this, tho.
Then I think I can remap the letter to some other char number.

@Briareos: I have merged in your changes, and updated the package on my server. Thank you!

There is also a text file with the newest additions, it would be cool if you could look into translating this:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/new.txt

It contains the strings that are used in the menu by the bitmaps. If you translate them, could you please only post the translations of these? It is then easier to merge in.

If you want to fix some more things in all.lang, could you please start with the version I have in the updated package? That way it is easier to merge changes back, too.

As for the "widen GUI", this is my next task, but since all these changes need to be run by Springheel, I need to make before/after screenshots and post them here, that can take a while.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

As suggested by Mortem Desino, i write here for advice you that i and my friend want to translate the TDM in italian.

So, i want ask you some things:

-Is the Italian translation already in progress?

-I'm looking for the effectively usable text, but i found only "training_mission.xd" and "english.lang". Where are located other files?

3-can be created subtitles for the speeches?

As suggested by Mortem Desino, i write here for advice you that i and my friend want to translate the TDM in italian.

-I'm looking for the effectively usable text, but i found only "training_mission.xd" and "english.lang". Where are located other files?

ciao hai steam? aggiungimi stealth91ita :)

potrei dare una mano...

Cyrillic (win-1251) Carleton font:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...carletonrus.rar

I've updated the training mission mod with the new font and translated the mission briefing into Russian to test the font:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...rustraining.pk4

Thanxk you very much, I check them out tomorrow. Did you remap the character 0xFF and if so, to which number?

We have only a few Italian strings that were the same from D3, so from 449 entries, 345 are not yet translated. So a lot of work remains. And currently we have no-one to work on the Italian, so your help is welcome!

I will send you a PM with a link to the nec. files and instructions.

I did not have yet time to integrate the code for this into TDM. Sorry!

Yes, I remapped it to "¶" sign (0x86, Alt+0182).

Very good. Could you please take a few strings from the Settings menu like "Fullscreen" etc and translate them to russian so I have something to test the font with inside the menu? Preferable something with the former 0xFF character in it :)

Just 3 or 4 strings is enough.

Very good. Could you please take a few strings from the Settings menu like "Fullscreen" etc and translate them to russian so I have something to test the font with inside the menu? Preferable something with the former 0xFF character in it :)

Just 3 or 4 strings is enough.

I've just translated almost all of them:

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/all_ru_2011-07-04.lang

(the forum doesn't allow me to attach .lang files)

BTW, what does the "Use-by-Fobbing" setting do?

I've just translated almost all of them:

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/all_ru_2011-07-04.lang

(the forum doesn't allow me to attach .lang files)

Got it! Very very cool, will fold them in ASAP.

BTW, what does the "Use-by-Fobbing" setting do?

That's a very good question, I must admit I don't really know, either. (shameful for a developer, isn't it? :)

Looking at the GUI/code: It toggles the CVAR tdm_inv_use_on_frob, which is not described here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cvars_in_The_Dark_Mod

The description is:

"When set to '1' currently selected inventory items will be used on frob."

Not sure, but I think it means that a selected key will be tried on a door when you frob that door, otherwise you have to press the "Use" key to try the key on.

Ok, I folded the strings back in. I changed the "я" character to "¶", then teached my script to replace it back when it generates russian.lang. This way you can easily edit all.lang, but the final file is correct.

Here is the result:

post-144-130981086799_thumb.jpg

post-144-130981103168_thumb.jpg

post-144-130981106037_thumb.jpg

Very nice!

Some remarks:

* there is a D3 bug that if you translate the choices for the GUI, that it no longer works (it displays only choices with at least one "a-z" letter, it seems, or displays "No Choises defined". Rats! http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2796

* The font is a bit "thin", could you maybe make it a bit more bold? It is a bit hard to read, compared to the normal TDM font. (Of course, it is way better than nothing :) Also, if you do rebuild the font, the sizes 6 and 8 are missing. Could you create these please, I am not sure we need them right now, but better to make it all in one go than to puzzle in 1 year how to recreate it :)

Cyrillic Nancy Script font:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...s/nancy_rus.rar

The archive contains textures and index files for cyrillic font and two TTF files:

Nancy_all.ttf is a 'normal' version, contains both cyrillic and ANSI characters, ExportFontToDoom3 will create ANSI textures with it.

Nancy_cyr.ttf is a 'hacked' version, ANSI characters are replaced with cyrillic ones, ExportFontToDoom3 will create cyrillic textures with it.

* The font is a bit "thin", could you maybe make it a bit more bold? It is a bit hard to read, compared to the normal TDM font. (Of course, it is way better than nothing :) Also, if you do rebuild the font, the sizes 6 and 8 are missing. Could you create these please, I am not sure we need them right now, but better to make it all in one go than to puzzle in 1 year how to recreate it :)

OK, I'll try. Edited by Keeper_Riff

So what's the deal with umlauts now? I must admit, I only skimmed parts of the thread, but did't spot anything about our awkward german letters. ;) I guess it should be doable to set them up similar to those cyrillic fonts, right?

I was also wondering whether the Readable Editor would have to be alterened in any way to support writing cyrillic/chinese/german/whatever readables. Considering I'll be handing in my thesis in two weeks, I'll have more time again then. The way I understand it, you guys use ASCII codes that are usually used for other kinds of symbols to get some characters into the game right? That would be a task of max one hour to implement in the Readable Editor (including getting back into the code). :)

So what's the deal with umlauts now? I must admit, I only skimmed parts of the thread, but did't spot anything about our awkward german letters. ;) I guess it should be doable to set them up similar to those cyrillic fonts, right?

Yes, but it seems Hyeron (who created such a font a while ago) lost his work :( Recreating it takes quite a bit time, because unlike the russian/polish font, western Europe (French, German, English, Italian etc) are using the same font, so the font with the extra characters needs to match pixel-perfect the old English font. That's not easy.

I was also wondering whether the Readable Editor would have to be alterened in any way to support writing cyrillic/chinese/german/whatever readables. Considering I'll be handing in my thesis in two weeks, I'll have more time again then. The way I understand it, you guys use ASCII codes that are usually used for other kinds of symbols to get some characters into the game right? That would be a task of max one hour to implement in the Readable Editor (including getting back into the code). :)

Actually, that won't work right now. You could use a string like "#str_10000" (10000 + is reserved for FM texts) in a readable, but then the FM author would have to ship a modified "english.lang", "german.lang" etc with his FM. And that is a big no-no, as this would prevent any updates to these files.

So support for translated strings in Fms that are properly overriden needs code support in TDM. I already looked and know how to implement this, but I simply did not have time (it is summer, with sun, fun and beach, not long dreary dark winter nights!)

I made the Carleton font more bold. Actually, I didn't find an easy way to do it neither in FontLab, nor in ExportFont, so I just cranked up the gamma level in the alpha-channel of the texture and it did the trick.

Also added 6 and 8 font sizes to both Carleton and Nancy Script and remapped the FF character in Nancy (I forgot to do it earlier). New versions are here:

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/carletonrus.rar

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/nancy_rus.rar

I made the Carleton font more bold. Actually, I didn't find an easy way to do it neither in FontLab, nor in ExportFont, so I just cranked up the gamma level in the alpha-channel of the texture and it did the trick.

Also added 6 and 8 font sizes to both Carleton and Nancy Script and remapped the FF character in Nancy (I forgot to do it earlier). New versions are here:

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/carletonrus.rar

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/nancy_rus.rar

Thank you! I updated the russian carleton font:

post-144-130989758074_thumb.jpg

post-144-13098975944_thumb.jpg

Nancy has to wait until tomorrow :)

Bamberg cyrillic font: ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/projects/darkmod/add-ons/ru_test/fonts/bamberg.rar

About that 'No choice' problem… What is the exact condition for the choice to appear in the list? Should it contain at least one Latin letter or should it begin or end with one? Can it be some non-letter char like single quote or period or comma?

Edited by Keeper_Riff