The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission 48: A Score to Settle, by Springheel (2011/07/01)

Springheel

74 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

• Poor
    • Tolerable
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

Good job there Spring. Had a lot of fun, the audio was killer, and really enhanced the mission, all authors, take note. Audio drags you in, as others have said. I usually wear headphones, being partially deaf, I have to, it was a real treat. The black jack was my friend in this, I loved, loved watching the AI relight a snuffed out candle. So well done, made him a bit more vulnerable to a black jack! ;)

Looking forward to more, MORE!

Man Skyes, he's a sick bastard!

I missed the archer, yes I was propositioned, yes on the front door. Video's were great too!

You might be missing some 1.06 files, Pran. You mentioned the forger being black too...all those are textures in the 1.06 update.

Unless you have old .mtr files overriding the 1.06 ones...model files wouldn't do it, but material files might.

I haven't tested it, but I did have several materials/*.mtr which I had previously extracted. I deleted them and will check the game later.

Yep, that was the problem. I haven't checked the forger yet, but Sykes and the guard outside his room now have faces.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Which flames do I have to extinguish to see the AI relight it? I only heard them mumble so far.

I had a tight moment in the

staircase leading to Sykes' room. I doused the candles to make unspotted entry, two AI's came to light 'em and I barely made it out of the way before the area was lit again.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Which flames do I have to extinguish to see the AI relight it? I only heard them mumble so far.

It depends which difficulty you're on. On Casual they don't relight many...

just the bonfire, I think. On higher difficulties, they will relight the torch above the stepstool and the candle in the main hall, the two candles on the stairs, and outside the torches by the Down St. stairs and the curved part of the street, and perhaps some others.

Thanks - will try that out on expert (man I never played a FM this often) :o

€DIT: Hehe same time post :D thanks fpr the tip!

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Haven't finished the map, but what I have seen so far is very cool.

Unfortunately, it seems quite a few small technical mistakes made it into the mission. There is a part of a house missing (one can see the sky through the corner), and quite a few z-fighting places. I can post screenshots is you are interested, Spring.

In addition to that, when you load the mission, the console says:

WARNING: ConvertLWOToModelSurfaces: model 'models/darkmod/misc/clipmodels/cauldron_cm.lwo' has bad or missing uv data
WARNING: Couldn't load image: sleeve
WARNING: Couldn't load image: sleeve_frill
WARNING: Couldn't load image: tail
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/common/shadow_bak
WARNING: Couldn't load image: textures/darkmod/decals/figure_shadow01
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' on 'atdm_moveable_candle_01_lit2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' on 'atdm_moveable_candle_01_lit2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_cheese_wedge2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_cheese_wedge2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_1'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_2'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_3'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_4'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_5'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_7'.
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' on 'atdm_moveable_food_turnip2_8'.

Not sure what's up with the latter, probably just some typos, or where there .def files not shipped with the FM?

And of course we still have way too many overly-blurry textures, but that is a TDM issue :)

Aprt from that, as I said, brilliant. :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

In addition to that, when you load the mission, the console says:

WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2'
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_candle_01_lit2' 
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2'
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_cheese_wedge2' 
WARNING: Unknown classname 'atdm:moveable_food_turnip2' 

There is a reason your getting the errors, its a known issue. I logged a bug tracker 02733 for it ages ago and if I'm brutally honest its bloody annoying, as it causes no end of grief because on so many bloody occasions I have had to go in and correct/rename said entities etc.

Just brilliant! After seeing the intro movie and the loading screen, turning from day into night, I was expecting something special. You didn't disappoint. This really pushed me to my limits. Very challening. I managed to finish it on the hardest level in under 2 hours. The city looked great. Although it seems a shame to have such a big city and not be able to interact with it. eg windows to rope arrow up to. Maybe I didn't spend enough time exploring it as the large amount of AI kept me constantly on the move. But that kind of thing is great for loot objectives. It felt like the majority of the loot was in Sykes's attic. But this was still 2 hours well spent. it had the perfect balance of great architecture and gameplay.

I know you do a lot of work on the dark mod itself but I hope you find time to make more FMs. Thanks for this Springheel.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks. :)

I'm not totally happy with the quality of the videos, but you can follow the process of learning how to make them here: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12607-converting-avi-to-roq/page__st__25__p__258319__hl__quality__fromsearch__1entry258319

Basically I just captured in-game scenes with fraps, edited them with Windows Movie Maker, and then converted them to .roq with switchblade.

I've posted the link everywhere except here at it's source...

Fixt.

Springheel Interview:

http://www.moddb.com...gheel-interview

Edit:

Adjusted the first reply per the request below.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Wonderful interview...however...

I'm the Artistic Lead for The Dark Mod, and the only active developer who has been with the mod from the very beginning.

Hope this doesn't seem petty, but even though I haven't contributed anywhere near the same level as you Spring, I still consider myself an active developer. Sporadic though it may be...I've also been here from the very beginning. :)

I'm certainly not fishing for a shout out, or to be recognized in the interview...it's yours and you deserve to have every ounce of praise heaped on you for all the sweat you have put into the mod, but perhaps it would be more accurate to say, "the 'most' active developer who has been with the mod from the very beginning"? The way it's worded now just makes me feel like the things I did manage to contribute in the last few months meant nothing.

I don't contribute anywhere near the same volume, nor do I ever see myself being able to, but I do contribute when and where I can. I'm extremely proud of having revamped the blackjacking system, adding the extra blackjack immunity settings to the SDK, and co-developing the bow aimer with Dram. I also took the reigns of the HDR project and got it focused into something that fit the mod. It took a long time to get my mental and physical health back to a level where I could even concentrate on those projects...so it would just be nice to feel like I still exist. lol

I still consider myself an active developer. Sporadic though it may be...I've also been here from the very beginning.

You're right. I meant to say the only one of the original "department leads" who was still active in that particular role, not active overall. But it does sound misleading the way I phrased it. Maybe Nbohr can adjust it?

You're right. I meant to say the only one of the original "department leads" who was still active in that particular role, not active overall. But it does sound misleading the way I phrased it. Maybe Nbohr can adjust it?

:laugh: Sorry Spring. I hope I didn't come across in a bad way.

Once again, great interview and well deserved!

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot find Gridley's but I did find Galloway Road. I have ran back over every inch of the road, tested all the doors, mantled onto every high area I could get too. Going to restart it and see if there is a glitch. Does Gridley's have a sign? Is it marked some way?

I just love this street:

Yes, you probably would. :) A lot of the buildings on that street came from some old prefabs you did a few years ago.

I have ran back over every inch of the road, tested all the doors, mantled onto every high area I could get too. Going to restart it and see if there is a glitch. Does Gridley's have a sign? Is it marked some way?

Go to the end of east end of Galloway road. There is a cul de sac to the north there with two doors. The furthest one is Gridley's.

I'm pretty sure they were yours (otherwise I credited the wrong person in the info text!) but I'd have to go back and check. I used some of Squill's old ones as well.