The Dark Mod Forums

TDM after D3 Source code release

Shadowhide

What about decreasing RAM usage? Could that be done with the source code? I seem to recall someone saying that the current normal maps used in TDM are very memory hungry, so maybe someone could implement better normal compression. On my old machine with 1.5 GB of RAM, I re-encoded all of the vocals to 48 kbps/22 KHz to decrease RAM usage. This is how most games do it, because 44 KHz isn't much different than 22 when it comes to a human voice recording. If you look in the Doom 3 pack files, you see that their vocals are about 30 Kbps.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

What about decreasing RAM usage? Could that be done with the source code? I seem to recall someone saying that the current normal maps used in TDM are very memory hungry, so maybe someone could implement better normal compression.

Yeah, I think this is feasable then.

On my old machine with 1.5 GB of RAM, I re-encoded all of the vocals to 48 kbps/22 KHz to decrease RAM usage. This is how most games do it, because 44 KHz isn't much different than 22 when it comes to a human voice recording. If you look in the Doom 3 pack files, you see that their vocals are about 30 Kbps.

I'm curious, how much memory did this save?

IIRC we had for some vocals (the wench?) used the wrong settings, so they turned out to be much bigger than nec., but AFAIK we re-encoded them before shipping.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'd put physics improvements on my wish list. Specifically the problem with impulses between movables.

And better collision handling :D

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

• 3 weeks later...

Really not on Topic but it's just a quick thought so i drop it here:

As of now thief4 marketing has not yet come to motion..i thought about how it could provide us with a bit of advertisement to sprinkle some open tracker torrent sites with 'leaked trailer' 'leaked screenshots' and alike that would really contain Darkmod trailers and pictures...:D Yes its unethical but for once it could be for good :)

That would likely generate ill-will _Atti_.

I have seen some evidence that torrent seeders have been including The Dark Mod in "Thief Packs" but never explored that either. If a torrent were made with just FM's from all the Thief series and it included The Dark Mod it would be better than being associated with illegal file packages.

Nonetheless, I will be doing my best to post in as many Thief 4 threads as possible once some big news is splashed. If others will keep an eye-out within their favorite forums for Thief 4 threads it would certainly help.

Even the Deus Ex threads can be a good place to spread the word... but only if someone first posts something like "Deus Ex is alright I guess, I wanna see a new Thief".

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I only meant some harmless pictures and videos:)

Like this T4 picture

I meant something like putting this in a torrent like 'new screen of T4' then have a folder next to it "more pics" where there's TDM with the shots having the website printed on them clearly stating what they are :)

April-jokes do this kind of things,and this would even turn out pleasant to some..

I don't think it would lead to any piraty stabbin :ph34r:

It was just a 'late-night half-joking' thought however:)

Edited by _Atti_

An amusing thought.

I would almost rather someone seed a "cracked Thief Deadly Shadows" torrent that was simply TDM with a BIG note (pic?) that says "Don't be mad, you'll enjoy this more anyway!" :laugh:

Please don't do this. huh.gif

There's enough cool stuff in TDM for it to bring in new fans in its own right, I'm doubtful Eidos Montreal will allow FMs and they sure as hell won't be releasing their source code in the future. I'd like to think this approach is better than using a misleading ad campaign to attempt to ride on the coattails of T4.

I only meant some harmless pictures and videos:)

Like this T4 picture

I meant something like putting this in a torrent like 'new screen of T4' then have a folder next to it "more pics" where there's TDM with the shots having the website printed on them clearly stating what they are :)

April-jokes do this kind of things,and this would even turn out pleasant to some..

I don't think it would lead to any piraty stabbin :ph34r:

It was just a 'late-night half-joking' thought however:)

I thought exactly same idea for april 1 last year. However, altough it was just for fun, it may get darkmod into trouble. It's not right to use Thief title in any condition with darkmod.

Moreover, some people may be unpleased with it such as hardcore Thief fans. Then it may bring bad reputation for darkmod.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

I'd like to think this approach is better than using a misleading ad campaign to attempt to ride on the coattails of T4

Agreed.

Point taken, as said was just a late night thought.

To be honest, a pretty imagination of how cool it would be if more people turned their head this way..

The fact just saddened me that i saw that night that the original 2005 trailer only has around 2200 views on YT. While every other b*llshit worth-nothing scam of all types get all the exposition..

We can still ride some Thief4 coattails...

We just don't have to be misleading about it.

When T4 comes around there will be a lot of new blood hitting Thief related forums, and then we just try to have some exposure. There should be a Dark Mod thread they can see that's getting bumped, and maybe some media releases, like FM trailers or briefings...

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Fingers crossed on that LS.

With regard to a Thief 4 media push, I'll bet that they will have a trailer ready for the Tokyo Game Show in September...

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

That's great news! :)

I was almost certain that they would delay again until after Prey 2 :wacko:

I wonder if they'll make one last Doom 3 patch just for the hell of it. :laugh:

Carmack said once RAGE is released, id will focus on giving the DOOM 3 source code to the public. It will be released sometime this year.

We need a thumbs-up emoticon.