The Dark Mod Forums

Square Enix screws Deus Ex: Human Revolution customers

Melan

Is it a real 94/100 or a game magazine 94/100, though? That's the real question. We will see the answer soon enough (although I chose the cheap shipping, so... probably no DX:HR for me until September).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The editor said it was the best game he'd played in 4 years, then later said it was the game of the decade.

Well, 2010 was the start of a new decade. wink.gif

I think I'm going to wait for a steam sale and some hope of being able to remove some of the third person stuff (it does look jarring no matter what the devs say) before I buy.

My biggest gripe is that they've stripped out a mission and only include it in the pre-order version. Maybe in the future they'll release it as DLC, but they'll no doubt charge an extortionate fee for it just like most DLC models. It's okay with a game like Section 8 Prejudice because it's pretty cheap and you can buy the mission packs separately (if it turns out you like the game), but when they try and entice you to spend another 30% on a single mission that was apparently not good enough to make it into the full game? I fucking hate that crap, and most new releases seem to be doing this now.

Is it a real 94/100 or a game magazine 94/100, though? That's the real question. We will see the answer soon enough (although I chose the cheap shipping, so... probably no DX:HR for me until September).

Hmm I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not aware of any differences between what they may put in a magazine and what may be official. However this is the first game magazine I've purchased in years. But it was a 6 page article by Tom Francis under reviews. It also had PC Gamer's editor's choice award.

@Midnight

I got Section 8 prejudice and all it's DLCs for 8 dollars off steam! It is a pretty good game except for it's integration with Windows Live.

Game magazines tend to give out ridiculously inflated scores, in part because they are utterly dependent on publisher goodwill for ad revenue, exclusive information and review copies. It is a very corrupt system, and there are entire blogs dedicated to the issue.

(In that sense, Hungary's legendary Commodore World (CoW) was a thoroughly honest publication: they pirated their games like their customers, and if they didn't like something, they said so.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm gonna pop in here to say that the game is absolutely (and surprisingly) spectacular. It isn't dumbed down, it isn't consolized (YMMV on the 3rd person stuff though), and lives up to its namesake gloriously.

I'd say more, but I've already raved about it enough over at TTLG. Of course not all of you will like it. There has been enough changed that might irk some people. But that doesn't change the fact that a company I wasn't exactly expecting to release an intelligent, difficult game that caters to PC sensibilities turned around and did exactly that.

So, upsides.

Load zones: Yeah. They're in there. But some the larger load zones in HR could easily fit 2 or 3 Thief 2 OMs inside of them.

AI: Smart (most of the time), vicious, acute, relentless. Playing on the highest difficulty almost requires you to play as a stealthy opportunist, even if you're playing as a more action oriented character. There is no going up against 3 or more guys in a full frontal attack here. You will die, and die hard, if you try.

Level design: I haven't seen a map that quite matches Versalife from the original DX yet, but everything I've seen thus far shows that it's very much a possibility later on in the game. It's open, allows for multiple ways to achieve your goals, and doesn't feel forced or linear. It feels like Deus Ex, in other words. And not a dumbed down, pale imitation. I'm talking Deus Ex.

Though opinions will differ, it's at least impressed me enough to say that I now have high hopes for Eidos Montreal, and all their future games. It's definitely worth the money, if you ask me. If you're sitting on the fence about it, try out the old beta leak that came out a few months back. It's a little less polished, and the AI isn't quite as strong from my experiences with it, but it'll give you 10 hours worth of game to decide if you want it or not.

My main question is: does stuff highlight in yellow when you look at it? How does the HUD "feel" like? Did you encounter the massive clipping bugs and jerky animations other games magazines reported about?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

My main question is: does stuff highlight in yellow when you look at it? How does the HUD "feel" like? Did you encounter the massive clipping bugs and jerky animations other games magazines reported about?

There's an option to turn off the highlight if you like.

Most of the time it's not too bad even when on since it seems that most objects only highlight when they're near the middle of the screen.

As for the clipping bugs and jerky animations, I haven't noticed them too much. Some of the character animations are a bit odd but I haven't seen anything too bad yet.

The controls on the PC are just fine. Your mouse works as expected in the menus and such, keypads let you click or type numbers in, you can adjust X and Y sensitivity for the mouse, and that sort of thing. I think it feels more "PC" than Oblivion or Fallout 3 did.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

They made that a toggle menu option a few months ago. :)

The HUD looks and feels quite a bit like old Deus Ex. The only complaint I have about it is that you can't manually move items on your quickbar like you could in the original. Like if you have a rifle in slot 1, and you want to move it to slot 3, you have to take the gun from your inventory, and move it to slot 3 from there.

Otherwise, everything is about the same as it was before. Up to and including having to play inventory tetris on occasion.

And like NH said, there's a toggle to turn off the big yellow frob highlights. In fact, they're off by default if you play on the highest difficulty setting. Which I definitely recommend everyone should do if they play the game.

I haven't seen any choppy animations, but I have seen the clipping bug show up on occasion. It's not a prevalent thing you'll see everywhere in the game, but there are a few places where it looks like a few walls and decals are z-fighting when seen from a distance. One place in particular, the Highland Park factory near the beginning, has an entire set of windows along a catwalk that'll band out until you get fairly close to it. Other than that, the game has been surprisingly smooth and bug free for me.

Anticipation increases... and my order only shipped today! :blush:

They made that a toggle menu option a few months ago. :)

I knew that they announced to do so, but I don't trust *ANY* company to blindly believe any of this until I've head that from an independant side. Anyway, I'll do it the same way as with most other games and will wait until they release a Game of the Year edition with all the additional stuff (bonus missions, DLCs etc.) in one package.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Got an interesting email a few hours ago. (emphasis added)

Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Spend 60 USD, get 50 USD back.

...smiley face.:)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair