The Dark Mod Forums

Inspirational Cg Style

Domarius

CHECK OUT THIS GUY'S SITE NOW!

http://www.goodbrush.com

I don't know how he does it, but this stuff looks like real painting!!! Except better, because it's crisp and CG! You'll just have to check it out.

Mainly for his style and to wonder what techniques he uses.

Looks like the colour dodge effect is there somewhere :)

Here is a direct link to his short sample gallery - you can view ALL his files elsewhere on his site if you want though.

http://www.goodbrush.com/mainpage/index2.htm

Look at the themes!!! They practically scream "Thief"!

Edited by Domarius

Yeah, I've often wished I could draw in this style, but every time I try it ends up rather bad.

Hell, if i could even do the kind of stuff that he has in his "bad sketches" section, i would be happy.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Yep, Craig Mullins is something of a demi-god in my circles. He actually uses Photoshop with some custom brushes, so his results are all the more impressive. He's got a nice little tutorial that shows you how he works:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Digital/PhotoshopSuit/

I'm interested in learning techniques though. I'm finding the tutorial that spring posted VERY helpful...

You see I need to learn a few things about what colours to pick, and the concept I just got from that tutorial about working from the midtones out, makes so much sense. And the technique how he does a gradient on the character and uses that to pick the shading colours from... I just need to know all this stuff so badly.

Edited by Domarius

THe most imortant things in a painting are composition, tone and colour in that order. I don't think exact technique matters, and using one 'magic method' is a bad idea.

He's a good artist. Just becasue he does it that way, doesn't mean it's the best way to do it. He could probably do it 100 different ways if he wanted to.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I know what you're saying oDDity - don't worry. This guy is just one of a certain number of people I look to for ... direction. Leonardo DaVinci is another one.

And as I sort of half mentioned before, "composition, tone and colour" is what I really want to learn more about, and I'm getting that kind of info from Craig's tutorials.

Ok, but it's easy to get caught up in seeing a great artist and wanting to copy his technique and methods exactly, and then you'll be 'as good as him'

I see it on CG boards all the time 'Wow! - what app did you use to make that model'? - like if they only had that app, they'd be able to do the same thing. Or people IMing or emailing me and asking 'how I make those cool models' - like I can sum it up in a few paragraphs and there's some sort of secret trick to it.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Yeah I know that's what you meant. I'm very careful about who I look up to in art. When I do, I think I learn the most out of really looking hard at their artwork, and working out for myself - what made them chose this colour here, how did they go about creating this shape here, and try to copy it and see if I can pick up something in the process. Copying people better than yourself as a way to pick up new ways of doing things, not as "trying to be as good as them".

In the end, you put all your little lessons together and it improves your artwork in general.

Wow, he did work for the Final Fantasy CG movie.

And he did the concept art for one of my favorite games; Need For Speed Underground. You can really see the game in those drawings. So not only is he an awesome artist, but the NFSU dev team are awesome at taking his artwork and making it a reality.