The Dark Mod Forums

Pro Vocals need redoing

Springheel

• 2 weeks later...

I finally finished the updates to the pro vocal script...I'll post it here later for reference.

Narrator, I'm now working on a custom vocal set for you. I'm quite busy this week but hopefully I can complete it for you before the end of the month.

Here's the updated script:

PRO VOCALS

Tone and Attitude

The Dark Mod strives to have a somewhat dark, gritty, and believable tone. Characters should avoid dramatic clichés and dialogue that sounds like sitcom humour. Characters should react with genuine emotion and in ways that make sense given their personality and education level.

Dialogue should be generally modern, North American English, but with a slight renaissance flavour. The more educated the character, the more renaissance-speak is appropriate. Avoid modern-sounding words and phrases (eg, "What's up?" "See you later" or "I'm going to kick your ass"). But at the same time, this isn't Shakespeare--the dialogue has to sound fairly natural to modern English speakers.

AI Characters

In order to create a variety of character types, vocal sets will be created for various "characters". A character, in this sense, is a distinctive voice, personality, and way of speaking.

"The Pro" -- shrewd; tough and confident. The pro has been doing this a long time, and knows he’s good. He’s not well educated, so may speak a bit roughly. He’s a bit gruff, a man of few words. Definitely an alpha male. The Pro keeps a level head most of the time and is not overly emotional.

AI STATES: Relaxed

Relaxed, Idle: You're relaxed and going about your regular business. If you’re a guard, you aren’t expecting any trouble and may not even be on patrol at the moment. You’re talking to yourself, so lines should be delivered in a low tone of voice, and punctuated with sighs, pauses and muttering.

idle_1 "*sigh* A few more hours to go…."

idle_2 "I hope Cook saved some pheasant like I asked him…"

idle_3 "I need to remember to do that later….”

idle_4 "…maybe they’ll be up for a game later tonight...”

idle_5 "Hmm, that strap is a bit loose."

idle_6 “It’s just common sense. It should be me doing that job.”

idle_7 “I can cross that off my list…”

idle_8 “These things should be done right the first time.”

idle_9 “These new recruits think they know everything. They’ve got a lot to learn.”

idle_10 “I think it’s about time for a new pair of boots. I’ve worn these ones down to the nails.”

Throat clearing/ coughs x3

Sighs x2 (you’ve had a long day)

Humming and/or whistling an idle tune x2

Sneeze x1

Relaxed, Armed: You’re an armed combatant. You may be a guard on patrol, or just a regular townsfolk with a weapon. Either way, you’re not expecting any trouble, but are ready to defend yourself if necessary. You are talking to yourself about your shift or other combat-related concerns.

alert0_1 "Hmm, I’ve got a bad feeling about this shift.”

alert0_2 “All quiet. Maybe a bit too quiet…. "

alert0_3 “Better keep a sharp eye out tonight.”

alert0_4 “I’ll be home soon enough, with a good mug of ale and a warm fire.”

alert0_5 “I could probably guard this place in my sleep.”

alert0_citywatch_1 “They need more good men like me on the streets.”

alert0_citywatch_2 “They really should double the watch in this part of town.”

Reacting to World: You are relaxed, and have just looked at something non-suspicious, like a book, or a card, or your reflection in a mirror. You make a grunt or comment, either pleased or not. Currently these lines are used primarily for AI playing cards—they make a comment after looking at their new card. They should be delivered without too much emotion.

tdm_ai_pro_reaction01 “Hrm.” [annoyed]

tdm_ai_ pro_reaction02 “Damn.”

tdm_ai_ pro _reaction03 “I knew it.”

tdm_ai_ pro_reaction04 “Not bad at all.”

tdm_ai_ pro_reaction05 “Hmm.” [pleased]

AI STATES: Alert

These barks are meant to indicate that the AI has seen or heard something.

Observant: You notice something subtle but aren’t sure what it is. You are talking to yourself, so you should not be particularly loud and may trail off. These lines are generic and do not indicate what kind of stimuli you detected.

tdm_ai_pro_to_observant01 "Hm?"

tdm_ai_pro_to_observant02 “What was that?"

tdm_ai_pro_to_observant03 "Hmm? Was that--?"

Observe a Sound: Same as above, only these lines refer specifically to a sound.

to_alert1_sound_1 "What was that sound?"

to_alert1_sound_2 "I thought I heard something..."

to_alert1_sound_3 "Hmm? A noise?"

Observe a Sight: Same as above, only these lines refer specifically to seeing something.

to_alert1_saw_1 "Did I see something?"

to_alert1_saw_2 "Is that something over there?"

to_alert1_saw_3 "Hm? What’s moving over there…?"

Notice Something: You notice something, and it caught your attention enough to warrant checking it out. You’re still not sure what it is, and you’re still mostly talking to yourself.

to_alert2_1 "That definitely seems like something..."

to_alert2_2 "Hmm, that's suspicious."

to_alert2_3 "'Hmm, that’s something, I'm sure of it."

Notice A Sound: As above, you hear something loud enough to make you want to investigate, even though it’s probably nothing serious.

to_alert2_sound_1 "What’s making that noise?"

to_alert2_sound_2 "Hmm, what was that over there?"

to_alert2_sound_3 “That doesn’t sound right.”

Notice A Sight: As above, you see a brief motion in the shadows. Probably nothing, but you should investigate.

to_alert2_saw_1 "What's that in the shadows….? “

to_alert2_saw_2 "Hey…. who's over there?"

to_alert2_saw_3 "What's that moving there?"

Notice A Sound, with company: You hear something loud enough to make you want to investigate, even though it’s probably nothing serious. You tell your friends about it.

to_alert2_soundx2_1 "Listen, did you hear that? Let’s check it out."

to_alert2_soundx2_2 "I heard something over there. Come with me."

Notice A Sight, with company: You see a brief motion in the shadows. Probably nothing, but you should investigate. You tell your friends about it.

to_alert2_sawx2_1 "Did you see something over there?"

to_alert2_sawx2_2 "I saw something suspicious over there. Let’s spread out."

Settling Down: You saw or heard something, but you haven’t found anything to worry about. It was probably nothing, and you’re going back to whatever you were doing. These lines are muttered to yourself.

to_0_1 "Hmmm, nothing now...."

to_0_2 "Seemed like something, but I guess not."

to_0_3 "Perhaps it really was nothing."

to_0_4 "Must be jumpy tonight."

Settling Down after hearing something: You heard something, but it’s gone now. Go back to your business.

to_0_sound_1 “Just some wind."

to_0_sound_2 "Rats, I guess."

to_0_sound_3 "I could have sworn I heard something."

to_0_sound_citywatch_1 “Probably a drunk.”

Settling Down after seeing something: You caught a glimpse of something moving, but it appears to be nothing. Moving on.

to_0_saw_1 "Just shadows."

to_0_saw_2 “Well, whatever it was, I can’t see anything now.”

to_0_saw_3 “Just a trick of the light, I guess.”

Alerted by Something: You see or hear something that makes you think that there's someone there, but you don't know exactly who, or where they are. You don’t know for sure that there’s a threat, but you’re all business now, and your lines are directed to the mystery figure in the shadows.

to_alert3_1 “Let’s not have any trouble…come on out so I can see you.”

to_alert3_2 "Hey, come out and identify yourself at once."

to_alert3_3 "Stop hiding back there and come out where I can see you."

to_alert3_4 “All right…stand forth and be recognized.”

to_alert3_5 “Alright, I know you’re there. Come out.”

to_alert3_6 “You don’t want to mess with me…come on out before I get angry.”

to_alert3_citywatch_1 “I’m an officer of the watch…I order you to come out!”

Alerted by Intruder: You see or hear something that makes it clear there’s someone there, and you have accumulated enough evidence to know that it’s an intruder. don’t know exactly where they are at this moment, however, so you’re just getting ready to search for them. These lines are an aggressive challenge to the intruder.

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching01 "Hey, who goes there? Show yourself!"

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching02 “Stand forth and be recognized, you dog!”.

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching03 “Get out here, rogue! It’s over!”

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching04 “Over there! Stand forth and declare yourself!”

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching05 “I’ve found an intruder! Over here!”

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching06 “Ha! I knew there was someone here. Come out now!”

tdm_ai_pro_to_agitated_searching06 _citywatch_01 “Stand forth and be recognized, by order of the City Watch!”

Idle, On Guard: You’ve been alerted by something—you may have seen the intruder or just evidence that something is wrong. It has been long enough that you’ve gone back to your regular patrol, but you’re no longer relaxed. If you’re armed you’ve got your weapon out, and you’re ready for trouble at a moment’s notice. You’re muttering to yourself.

alert_idle01 “I’m ready for him.”

alert_idle02 “Nothing gets by me now.”

alert_idle03 “Just let him try to get by me.”

alert_idle04 “I knew something was wrong.”

AI STATES: Searching

Searching: You’ve seen or heard enough to know that there’s someone around here, hiding. It might not be a threat, but if they’re hiding, then they’re obviously up to no good. You’re looking around for them. These lines are generally directed at the hiding figure.

search3_1 "If you’re here, I’m going to find you."

search3_2 "There are only so many places to hide, and I have time to check them all."

search3_3 "If someone is playing a joke, you’d better just come out now."

search3_4 "Hmm, I bet you’re hiding right over there…."

search3_5 “I know you’re around here somewhere."

search3_6 “You think you can hide from me? I’ve been doing this for years, you know.”

search3_7 “I’ll go a lot easier on you if you just give up now.”

search3_8 "Now I’m getting annoyed. You’d better hope I don’t find you."

Giving up after search: You’re pretty sure you saw somebody, but you've searched around and can't find anyone. This bark is played as you give up the search. You still don’t know for sure that it was an intruder, but you are pretty annoyed. You’re talking to yourself.

to_0_search_1 "Someone’s idea of a joke, I guess."

to_0_search_2 "I have a feeling that's not the last of him...."

to_0_search_3 “He’d better not come back if he knows what’s good for him.” [annoyed]

to_0_search_4 “That’s put me a foul mood.”

to_0_search_5 "If there was someone, they're gone now."

to_0_search_6 “If someone is playing games with me, they’ll be sorry.”

Agitated Searching: You know for sure there is an intruder around, and you’re looking for him. You’re deadly serious now. Your lines are directed at the intruder himself.

search4_1 "You can't hide forever, rogue!"

search4_2 "I know you’re here. And I will find you."

search4_3 “It’s just a matter of time…

search4_4 "I’m ready for you. Come on out and face me!"

search4_5 “You can’t escape, thief."

search4_6 "Now where would I hide if I were a thief...maybe over there."

search4_7 “Come out you coward!”

search4_8 “There’s nowhere you can go… You might as well just give up!”

Agitated Searching, unarmed: You know for sure there is an intruder around, and you’re looking for him. You aren’t prepared for a fight though, so you’re not really sure you want to find him. You’re directing the lines at the intruder, and you should sound somewhat uncertain.

search4_civilian_1 “Hey, I know someone is hiding here…what do you want?”

search4_civilian_2 “I’m unarmed…just take what you want and leave me alone!”

search4_civilian_3 “Hey, why don’t you just come out?”

search4_civilian_4 “Why don’t you leave me alone?”

Giving up after Agitated Search: You have confirmed there is an intruder but he's given you the slip. You've searched for him, but haven't been able to find him. You're giving up for now but you aren't letting your guard down. These lines are primarily delivered in a frustrated tone of voice.

to_0_spotted_1 "I’d better go back to where I was, or he’ll slip by."

to_0_spotted_2 "This is taking too long…time to change tactics."

to_0_spotted_3 "You win this round, rogue."

to_0_spotted_4 " He may be safe for the moment, but he won't get out alive."

to_0_spotted_5 "You’d better not show your face to me again, villain."

to_0_spotted_6 “Great, he’s gotten away. I’m not going to hear the end of this.”

to_0_spotted_7 “Damn, how the hell did he get away?”

Giving up after Agitated Search, unarmed: You know there’s an intruder around, and you looked for him and didn’t find anyone. You don’t have a weapon, so you are rather relieved that you don’t have to deal with an armed criminal.

tdm_ai_pro_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian01 “Phew, it looks like he’s gone.”

tdm_ai_pro_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian02 “Good, he left. That could have been bad.”

tdm_ai_pro_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian03 “I’ve scared him off, I guess.”

tdm_ai_pro_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian04 “Where are the guards when you need them? He’s probably gone by now.”

Return with Help: You’re not equipped to fight, so you ran away from the intruder, got help, and came back. The intruder is still here, so you point him out.

gotten_help_1 "See, just like I told you. Get him!

gotten_help_2 "There he is!"

gotten_help_3 “He’s still here! See him?”

Return too late with Help: You went and got help, but by the time you got back the intruder was gone. You’re flustered and upset.

gotten_help_gone_1 "He was right here…look sharp, he’s probably hiding!"

gotten_help_gone_2 "Damn, he’s escaped.”

gotten_help_gone_3 “He was right there…search the area!”

COMBAT AND PURSUIT

Spotted the Intruder, armed: You have spotted the intruder. You are pulling out your weapon and getting ready to charge. These lines are shouted to the intruder.

spotted_combat_1 "Surrender or die, villain!"

spotted_combat_2 "Ah ha! Now I've got you!"

spotted_combat_3 "There you are! Hrraarr!"

spotted_combat_4 "Taste my steel!"

spotted_combat_5 "This ends now!"

spotted_combat_citywatch_1 “You! You’re under arrest!”

Spotted the Intruder, armed, with help: You have spotted the intruder and are getting ready to charge. Luckily, you have some friends with you.

spotted_combatx2_1 "Look there! A Thief!"

spotted_combatx2_2 "Weapons out! There's an intruder!"

spotted_combatx2_3 “Let’s get him! You take that side!”

Spotted the Intruder with a body, armed: You see the intruder, and he’s carrying a body! The fiend!

spotted_combat_body_1 "Put that body down and surrender!"

spotted_combat_body_2 “Hey, where are you going with that body?!”

Spotted the Intruder, unarmed: You have spotted the intruder. Oh no! He’s got a whole bunch of weapons, and you don’t have any! You are panicking and getting ready to run, and are yelling for

help.

spotted_civilian_1 "Help, there's an intruder!"

spotted_civilian_2 "Guards! A Thief!"

spotted_civilian_3 "An intruder! Stay back, you!"

spotted_civilian_4 "Hey, you don't belong here!"

spotted_civilian_5 "I knew it! Raise the alarm!"

Lost Player after Pursuit: You are chasing the intruder when suddenly he disappears. How did that happen? He can’t be far.

lost_player01 “What?! Now where did he go?”

lost_player02 “Nice try. I know you can’t have gone far.”

lost_player03 “I found you once, I can do it again.”

Running Away: You’re unarmed and are running away as fast as you can, but the intruder is coming after you! This is life or death, so you’re shouting in panic to anyone who can hear you.

tdm_ai_pro_flee01 "Help me!"

tdm_ai_pro_flee02 "Guards! guards!"

tdm_ai_pro_flee03 "Somebody please stop him!"

Running Away, hurt: You’re armed and have been badly wounded by the intruder. You’re running away as fast as you can, yelling for help.

tdm_ai_pro_flee_hurt01 “To my aid!"

tdm_ai_pro_flee_hurt02 “Help! Leave me alone!”

tdm_ai_pro_flee_hurt03 “Friends, I need help!!“

tdm_ai_pro_flee_hurt04 "He’s coming after me!"

Coming to Assist: A comrade called for help (or you heard sounds of a fight) and you are on your way to help them.

tdm_ai_pro_assist_friend01 "I'm here! I’ll take him from this side!"

tdm_ai_pro_assist_friend02 "We’ll take him together!!"

Fighting : You're locked in deadly combat with an intruder. These lines are delivered as you swing your weapon, so should be short and full of a sense of action.

tdm_ai_pro_combat_melee01-4 Generic combat grunts (“hiyah!”) x4

tdm_ai_pro_combat_melee05 “Take this!”

Fighting, winning: You are locked in combat with the intruder, and have just bashed him with your weapon. You take a moment to taunt your opponent. These need to be said quickly, as the fight is still going on.

tdm_ai_pro_combat_hit_player01 "This’ll be over quick."

tdm_ai_pro_combat_hit_player02 “How’d you like that?”

tdm_ai_pro_combat_hit_player03 “Ha! Feel that?”

attacking_hit_1 attacking_hit_2 "I've killed better men than you."

attacking_hit_3 "No mercy now, fool."

attacking_hit_4 “You fight like my sister.”

Fighting, losing: You are locked in combat with the intruder, and he has just hit or blocked you. You’re realizing that you might lose this fight. These lines should be short.

tdm_ai_pro_combat_blocked_by_player01 “Damn.”

player_blocked_1 "Even a fool gets lucky."

player_blocked_2 "I made that too easy."

player_blocked_3 "So you do know how to use that."

Pain: Something just hurt you. Ouch!

tdm_ai_pro_pain_small01-03 Small grunts (“ow!”) x3

tdm_ai_pro_pain_large01-03 Serious pain (“Aaaaiieee!”) x3

Hit by Arrow: You’ve been hit by an arrow from an unseen foe. You’re hurt, and either scared or angry. You might be calling out for help or shouting at your attacker.

tdm_ai_pro_hit01 “Come into the open and try that again you bastard!”

tdm_ai_pro_hit02 “There’s a sniper in the shadows!”

tdm_ai_pro_hit03 “I’ve been hit!”

Throw Something at Intruder: The intruder is visible, but you can’t get to him. You're angry and throw something.

missile_generic_1 "Take THAT!"

missile_generic_2 "Do you think I can’t hurt you there?"

missile_generic_3 "You think you're so clever? Take this!"

missiel_generic_4 “Here comes another!”

Shoot Arrow: You're an archer, shooting arrows at the intruder.

archer_1 "Hold still…."

archer_2 "Glad I restrung my bow this morning."

Frustrated: The intruder is out of reach (such as standing on a stack of crates or across a chasm) and you can't reach him. You don’t have anything to throw at the moment.

frustrated_1 "You think you're safe there? Come here and fight me!"

frustrated_2 " You may as well surrender."

frustrated_3 "So that’s the game you want to play?"

frustrated_4 "I’ve got him cornered here!" [calling to friends]

Killed Intruder: You’ve won the fight. Taunt the intruder as he lays dying at your feet.

Killed_player01 “That was too easy.”

Killed_player02 “You never had a chance against me, you know.”

Killed_player03 “I told you it would end this way.”

Killed_player04 “That’s what you get when you cross swords with me.”

killed_player_citywatch_01 “I guess I’ve saved you a trip to the gallows.”

Die, Quiet: You didn’t see it coming, but someone just hit you from behind and took you down. Make a grunt, but as the name suggests, it's kind of quiet.

die_quiet_1 "UNH"

die_quiet_1 "Arg"

die_quiet_1 "HHnnnn..."

Die, Loud: You’ve just been killed by an armed intruder. These lines should be start with a loud scream of pain, then sputter your dying words (if any).

die_loud_1 "GAHHHHHHHHHHH"

die_loud_2 "Noooo....."

die_loud_3 "Arggghh...curse you...."

die_loud_4 "Haaaarg...*gurgle*"

Blinded: You have been blinded by a flash of light.

blinded_1 "Wh… a flashbomb!"

blinded_2 “Ahh, my eyes!”

Hit By the Player No Damage: The player tried to blackjack you but failed. What an idiot.

Number of Wavs: 1 per character

failed_ko_1 "Ow, Wha--? Was that your best shot?"

Gassed: You have been caught in knockout gas. Cough, sputter and pass out. This should be quick--a second or two at most (it's fast gas).

tdm_ai_pro_cough_noair01 "..cough cough"

FINDING EVIDENCE

You have found or observed something that looks out of place. You aren't seeing or hearing the intruder directly, but something that might be a sign that one was here earlier.

Find Something Suspicious: You’ve noticed something unusual, like a patch of moss on the floor, or a knocked over chair. You can’t immediately assume there’s an intruder, but you’re sure something is not right. These lines must be generic, as they could apply to all kinds of things. You’re talking to yourself.

suspicious_item_1 "Hmmm, that's not right."

suspicious_item_2 "'...strange..."

suspicious_item_3 "How did that happen?"

suspicious_item_4 "I have a bad feeling about that."

suspicious_item_5 “Hmm, that’s a bit suspicious.”

Find a Weapon: There is a weapon lying on the ground. People generally don’t leave their weapons around for no reason, so you’re suspicious.

notice_weapon_1 "There shouldn’t be a weapon here…"

notice_weapon_2 "Who left a weapon lying around?"

Find a Door Open: There is a door open that shouldn't be. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything, but maybe it does.

notice_door_1 "Who left this door open?"

notice_door_2 "This should be closed..."

Find Lights Off: The lights are off, and they shouldn't be. Strange. These lines should be very nonspecific about what kind of light they refer to.

notice_lights_1 "Who turned out the light?"

notice_lights_1 "It shouldn’t be so dark in here."

notice_lights_1 "That light should be on."

Find Lights Out, Flame: You notice a torch or candle that should be lit has gone out. The level of suspicion in the delivery depends on the character…flames do go out on their own after all.

notice_lights_flame_1 "The wind is always putting those out."

notice_lights_flame_2 "That was poorly lit."

notice_lights_flame_3 "Who put that out?"

Relight light, flame: You’ve found a torch or candle that has burned out, and you decide to relight it.

light_relight_1 "I’m getting tired of relighting these."

light_relight_2 “I guess it’s up to me to light it.”

light_relight_3 "We need decent light in here...shadows just attract criminals."

Refuse to relight flame: You’ve found a torch or candle that has burned out, but you have no intention of relighting it.

light_refuse_1 "There should be a servant around relighting those."

light_relight_2 "I’d relight them if they would just get new ones once in a while."

Find Blood: There is blood on the floor. There has obviously been a fight of some kind. This is serious. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

notice_blood_1 "Blood? Someone has been attacked.”

notice_blood_2 "There’s been foul play here."

notice_blood_3 "Blood? What happened here?"

Find Body, generic: You find a body on the ground. There is no obvious sign of trauma, so you’re not sure what has happened. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby. These lines should not refer to the gender of the body.

notice_body_generic_1 "Fetch a surgeon!"

notice_body_generic_2 "Someone has been hurt!"

Find Body, Female: You find the body of a woman on the ground. There’s no obvious sign of trauma. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

notice_body_female_1 "There's a woman hurt here!"

Find Body, Male: You find the body of a man on the ground. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

notice_body_male_1 "There's a man on the ground here!"

Find Corpse: You find the body of someone who is obviously dead. You are shocked and/or angry. If you’re a guard, you’re sounding an alarm. These lines should not refer to the gender of the body.

notice_dead_1 "Murder! Someone's been killed!"

notice_dead_2 "Dead? Who did this!"

notice_dead_3 "Sound the alarm! There’s a murderer on the loose"

Find Corpse, Female: You find the dead body of a woman on the ground.

notice_dead_female_1 "She's dead! Murder!"

Find Corpse, Male: You found a man, dead on the ground.

notice_dead_male_1 "Murder! There's a man killed!"

Find Corpse, Comrade: You find a comrade of yours, murdered. You are outraged. You call out a warning to your allies, or a threat to the one who did this.

notice_dead_friend_1 "Someone's killed one of our men! They’ll pay for that when I find them."

notice_dead_friend_2 "Oh no, he’s slain! Vengeance will be mine!"

Find Pocket Picked: You had something on your belt, and now it's gone! Did you drop it?

notice_pickpocket_1 "Hmm, that’s odd."

notice_pickpocket_2 "What? What trickery is this?"

notice_pickpocket_3 "Hmmm, is it possible I dropped it?" [suspicious]

Find Something Stolen: You’ve just noticed something significant missing that shouldn't be. You've obviously been robbed.

notice_absence_1 "There's a thief on the premises!"

notice_absence_2 "Hey, that shouldn't be missing!"

notice_absence_3 "Raise the alarm, we’ve been robbed!"

Raise the Alarm!: You know something is seriously wrong…perhaps you’ve found the lord murdered, or you’ve found the master safe open. You need to alert everyone within earshot.

tdm_ai_pro_raise_alarm01 “To arms, to arms! ”

tdm_ai_pro_raise_alarm02 “Raise the alarm!”

tdm_ai_pro_raise_alarm03 “Quick! Everyone up! …sound the alarm!”

Warning--Recently Found Corpse: You recently found a body and are relaying the information to any friends you see.

notice_deadx2_1 "Pass the word, there's a murderer on the loose!"

notice_deadx2_2 "Arm yourself, someone's been killed by an intruder."

notice_deadx2_3 “Stay sharp, there was a murder earlier.”

Warning—We’ve been Robbed: You know you've been robbed and you're telling your buddy about it.

notice_absencex2_1 "We've been robbed! Keep your eyes open for an intruder."

notice_absencex2_2 "There's a burglar around here somewhere."

notice_absencex2_3 "Pass the word, there’s a thief about."

Warning--Recently Saw Intruder: You saw the intruder not too long ago, but he escaped. Now, you’re warning others about him.

saw_playerx2_1 "Look sharp, we have an intruder on the premises."

saw_playerx2_2 "Be alert. I saw an intruder earlier."

saw_playerx2_3 “There’s a criminal around somewhere…keep your weapons ready.”

Warning—Something is not Right: You haven’t seen an intruder, but you’re seen evidence that there is one around somewhere. You’re warning your friends about it.

warn_friend01 “Be alert. I have a bad feeling...”

warn_friend02 “We could have an intruder on the premises.”

warn_friend03 “My gut tells me something’s wrong. Be on your guard.”

warn_friend04 “If you see anything out of the ordinary, report it at once.”

Greeting, Generic: A casual greeting or question as you pass someone. These lines should be very generic, with no reference to gender or status. They must be relatively short. Since greetings can be made by AI to friends or strangers, delivery should be fairly neutral.

tdm_ai_pro_greet_civilian_to_civilian01 "Hello."

tdm_ai_pro_greet_civilian_to_civilian02 "’Evening."

tdm_ai_pro_greet_civilian_to_civilian03 "Greetings."

tdm_ai_pro_greet_civilian_to_civilian04 "Hello there."

tdm_ai_pro_greet_civilian_to_civilian04 "Good night?"

Greeting, Guard to Guard: You’re armed, and you spot a social equal who is also armed. Chances are you’re both guards on patrol. Greet them or ask a short question about their shift.

greeting_guardxguard_1 "No trouble tonight?"

greeting_guardxguard_2 “Long shift, hm?"

greeting_guardxguard_3 "Care for an ale afterwards?"

Greeting, Guard to Civilian: You’re armed, and you spot a civilian/servant. Chances are, you’re a guard on the job, so you gruffly tell them to stay out of your way.

greeting_guardxcivilian_1 "Go about your business."

greeting_guardxcivilian_2 "Move along now."

greeting_guardxcivilian_3 "I’m working. Keep moving."

greeting_guardxcivilian_citwatch_01 “Make way for an officer of the Watch.”

Greeting, to Nobleman: You pass someone high on the social ladder and greet him.

greeting_xnobleman_1 "Greetings your Lordship."

Greeting, to Noblewoman: You pass a lady high on the social ladder and greet her.

greeting_xnoblewoman_1 "Greetings my Lady."

Greeting, to Priest: You pass a Builder Priest and greet him.

greeting_xpriest_1 "Good evening, Father."

Greeting, to Inferior: You’re high on the social ladder, and see someone beneath you. You’re better than them, and your greeting conveys that.

greeting_noblemanxcivilian_1 "Stand aside."

tdm_ai_pro_greet_noble_to_civilian02 "Move aside, there."

Greeting, to Inferior Guard: You’re high on the social ladder and see a guard. You greet them by evaluating their performance.

greeting_noblemanxguard_1 “Stay alert, man.”

greeting_noblemanxguard_2 "No sleeping on the job."

Response, Generic: You have been greeted by someone who is a social equal. Lines should be short and generic, as they could be replies to many different kinds of greetings. Delivery should be fairly monotone and noncommittal.

response_1 “Yeah, yeah.”

response_2 “Uh huh.”

response_3 “Right.”

response_3 “Sure.”

Response, to Superior: You have been greeted by someone who has a higher rank than you. Your response should be stiffer and more official.

response_superior_1 “Yes, sir.”

response_superior_2 “Of course.”

Response, Negative: You have been greeted by someone who is a social equal, and are responding to their question. These should be delivered without much emotion.

response_negative_1 “Not really.”

response_negative_2 “Naw.”

Conversation Tidbits: These are lines that might be useful in creating generic conversations.

[listening to a story] “Go on…”

[playing cards] “Whose turn is it?”

[meeting a friend] “There you are.”

[leaving] “I’ll see you later then.”

We should be careful of gender-specific barks.

"I hope Cook saved some pheasant like I asked him…" won't sound right in a map with a female cook. (Like my WIP.) I'd rather hear "I hope Cook saved some pheasant like I asked …".

There might be others. I didn't read the entire script.

We should be careful of gender-specific barks.

"I hope Cook saved some pheasant like I asked him…" won't sound right in a map with a female cook. (Like my WIP.) I'd rather hear "I hope Cook saved some pheasant like I asked …".

There might be others. I didn't read the entire script.

Yeah, male cooks are probably too modern, anyway :) In this case I think cutting the bark short might work, but your remark is of course true in the general sense. Maybe the narrator can record two versions, the more we have, the better!

(That goes for generic remarks that can be used in a conversation, double)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

There's a fine line to walk between making things generic and making them sound lifelike. Referring to actual people is something the Thief vocals did regularly, and those details made the world seem richer and more believable. Every detail could be inappropriate in some map or other...what if the map is in the forest with no kitchens at all? What if it's in the mansion of a vegetarian who doesn't eat birds? etc. The only way to avoid that would be to have extremely generic, shallow barks, which then effects _every_ map. I'd rather the AI make detailed, lifelike comments that occasionally sound out of place, personally.

Of course, dropping the "him" in that particular line is not a problem, but in general, if the genders don't line up players would just assume the character is talking about someone else.

Excuse the silence, I was away for a week, and will be away for another couple of days, so there is no need to hurry. Hopefully I am able to record some lines in the middle of Novembre.

Thank you, Springheel, for taking the time to write another voice set, that will bring even more variety to The Dark Mod!

• 2 months later...

As I am recently playing some good old Thief 2 FMs right now (Crom's Blade), I am discovering again how much the vocals add to this classic thief atmosphere / feeling. We really need some better vocals, if it's possible in any way. It's even interesting to wait and watch standing guards when they mumble their standard idle barks.

Narrator, have you been trying to record some lines?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Narrator has already done an entire set. They're on SVN and will be released in 1.08. :)

This is great news!

I know it sounded like "Ah come on guys! Do this, do it now!". But I just was wondering what happened to narrator and if it's possible to enhance the barks. I just can't do it myself. I ain't got equipment and a decent voice for doing it the pro way. But I would do it, if I could do it - that's for sure! :P

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Great news indeed.

Having tried to make my own custom voice acting, I know it is very difficult thing to make even a decent job, especially for a non-native speaker.

It requires a talent: some people have it, some people don't. ;)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yes, if it weren't for the slight accent I'd get him to do a few more. I might anyway. :)

Sorry BD, not sure what you mean. :huh:

opps sorry, my typing skills are atrocious.

I meant to say would you like me to have a go and doing a caurse (Benny) guard, it would then marry up with my other 'vocal noises' you have used with the other Ai in 1.07. In fact I recon i could do reasonable repo of a David essex sounding voice...

I've always wanted to have a goo and doing Benny, that said was it Mortem Desino who did that hilarious video of the two guards.? we should get him to do a set in his normal voice and the Benny voice he did...!!!!!

Sweetest Deals! Sign me up to provide voice acting and SFX foleys!

In fact, he has signed up for the campaign, so maybe he wont mind doing some lines for the mod proper.

I meant to say would you like me to have a go and doing a caurse (Benny) guard, it would then marry up with my other 'vocal noises' you have used with the other Ai in 1.07. In fact I recon i could do reasonable repo of a David essex sounding voice...

I have a script sitting around that I had originally done for Yandros as a coarse (but not stupid) guard that I'd be happy to give you. But I don't know what you mean by "marry up with other vocal noises in 1.07". :huh:

By marry up, I meant that since TDM 1.07 a bunch of the grunts, stretching and other noises I made wouldn't sound so out of place when heard with other lines by the same voice actor etc.

cool, PM me the lines. I 'll do a rought set with my existing mic then do the a p[olished set once my new PZM mic from ebay turns up.

By marry up, I meant that since TDM 1.07 a bunch of the grunts, stretching and other noises I made wouldn't sound so out of place

:huh: I don't recall adding any new grunts to 1.07.

• 2 years later...

Was wondering how the voice recordings have been going, since it's been some time now, are there new sets for all the types and varieties of guards, nobles and so on? Any recent expansions on the voice sets, perhaps more variations and such? Just curious, what I've heard so far sounds great. :)