The Dark Mod Forums

All about wireless headphones...

lost_soul

I've had some Sennheiser RS-140 headphones for a few years now. They still work, but the pads are falling apart, the speakers sometimes crackle and sometimes they don't want to turn on. Got any suggestions for an upgrade? I will only use them on a computer and I would prefer going digital. These are analog, which means you get FM hissing and static from time to time.

But... I don't really feel like paying $200 for headphones again. Is there a cheaper option that is good quality? Maybe if they had something with a USB dongle that worked as the transmitter and audio device.

EDIT: Something like this G930 looks good, or perhaps this ClearChat headset.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I've had some Sennheiser RS-140 headphones for a few years now. They still work, but the pads are falling apart, the speakers sometimes crackle and sometimes they don't want to turn on. Got any suggestions for an upgrade? I will only use them on a computer and I would prefer going digital. These are analog, which means you get FM hissing and static from time to time.

But... I don't really feel like paying $200 for headphones again. Is there a cheaper option that is good quality? Maybe if they had something with a USB dongle that worked as the transmitter and audio device.

Of those two, I'd go with the first one, the G930. I always prefer over-the-ear type headphones, personally. I remember a set suggested by a friend of mine, not wireless, which had an outrageously low price ($60-80) while still having amazing audio quality which compared to studio headphones at 3-4x the price. I'll have to do some searching to remember what they were, but I think were made by TDK... but not positive.

Speaking of TDK, here are these wireless headphones also.

Not wireless, but these are what I use: Audio Technica ATH-M45, I got mine in person at a Guitar Center store for the same price as Amazon has them.

After a quick glance at Amazon's offerings, I immediately was drawn to these: Sennheiser RS 170 digital wireless headphones with surround sound.

* Those Sennheiser phones were, at first glance, listed for $100... that is 1 seller selling a used set. Amazon's price for new is $170... so maybe out of the price range you would prefer. Unless you trust the one seller with the set for $100. Maybe check ebay for the same thing...?

Here ya go... $120

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I'm mostly into wireless headphones because you can listen to Youtube or whatever while working in the Kitchen without cranking speaker volume up. I've actually got another pair of wireless headphones from almost a decade ago (lol). They still work great, but I had to repair them twice. They use a headband as the power switch. There's a spring inside, and when you put them on it stretches between two terminals, turning the headphones on. Over time, the headband came detached from the spring, so I fixed that.

Those G930s really look great. They may even provide surround sound for TDM. You're right though: you can get great sounding corded headphones for a fraction of the price that a good sounding wireless pair will cost.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I've got the wired version of the G930 and it is great. I've only had it for a little more than a month so I can't say anything about it's last-ability, but the sound is great. I haven't had many different headsets (maybe 4 or 5 [i'm young]) but these are by far the best I've used. The noise-cancellation and (simulated) 7.1 surround sound works great. Before I bought these I read that because they were USB-based (the other USB headsets that I've used have worked fine) there were a possibility that if you were doing something really CPU intensive (such as rendering) the sound would cut out and while this is true I think I've just experienced this once during a heavy rendering while I was listening to music. I chose these after I had my maybe third Creative F4tal1ty headset break down on me and haven't regretted it since.

Say, is the 5.1/7.1 simulation good enough to compare to real 5.1 sound? I have the SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 headset connected to a Creative Audigy ZS 7.1. I consider the 3D sound as very good, but since my headset is falling apart (it's around 10 years old, if I'm counting right), I'm looking for a new one. So far, most headsets don#t offer true 5.1 anymore, most simulate the 3D sound.

So my question is: Has anyone of you had experience with true and simulated 3D sound? If so, is the simulated variety on par with the true one?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.