The Dark Mod Forums

Forums upgraded to the latest (and greatest) IPB Board version!

modetwo

Something odd started happening to me too...when I use the arrow keys while typing a reply, instead of moving the cursor it moves the entire screen (or the cursor just disappears).

edit: weird...just as I finished typing this, it started working normally again. :huh:

Yeah, the forum does display off behaviour. Modetwo, the buttons have returned. I don't know if that is because I cleared the Opera cache or because you did something on your end. Anyway, glad to see everything working again.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Yes, if you start a post and press f.i. "pos1" to go to the start of the current line, sometimes I am thrown to the start of the page instead.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

modetwo, I don't know if you changed anything, but when I click into the Reply field, the buttons aren't displayed for me.

Dunno if it's the same problem but on another website I've been advising users to use Refresh and wait a few seconds. Sometimes repeat a few times. It's only a workaround but I'd be interested if it helps here.

Serp: Thanks. I'll get back to you when I've had time to think. :)

FastestFasterFastMediumSlowSlowerSlowest

Tools -> Advanced -> DragonFly

Script tab -> on the right hand side go to the 'search' tab -> tick ignore case, all files and injected.

Search for a few of the keywords - "slower"

Aha! That reveals auto-scroller which is a 3rd party text scroller. I only use it for reading fiction while I'm eating because Opera's scroller doesn't work properly for me. I'll see if I can disable it easily on and off so its only enabled when I really need it.

btw those words do not actually appear when using the scroller but I think they are variables to do with controlling it. All I do is click a button and it auto-scrolls.

FastestFasterFastMediumSlowSlowerSlowest FastestFasterFastMediumSlowSlowerSlowest

I was wondering what those words could possibly be referring to.

They're like the little insane outbursts from your crazy uncle who's sane most of the time, but every so often lets out the crazy.

It made me uneasy about this new forum, but if there's a simple explanation then that's reassuring.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Tried various things and I think I have a fix. This is the relevant line in the script. Looks like a simple string array. I've commented the line to disable it and nulled all the strings in the line copied below. The auto-scroll still works OK but if I've done this right then it will only print empty strings into form editors.

//var TEXT_SPEED = ["Fastest", "Faster", "Fast", "Medium", "Slow", "Slower", "Slowest"];
var TEXT_SPEED = ["", "", "", "", "", "", ""];

Preview looks OK. Here goes. :)

@Fidcal: This is more amazing the the "I cannot print on Tuesdays" bug! :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Yeah, IPB seems to have taken the stance that cramming js into everything is magically going to work correctly. Simplicity is overrated when you can have a complex Rube Goldberg machine of unknown and changing parts - all that matters is that if you hope enough it'll all be fine! Whoever came up with the idea of javascript "plugins", I hope he understands just how unborn he is when I finish my timemachine.

I'm just using the forum with js disabled, it's not perfect but it's a whole lot less annoying.

Oh - as for auto scrolling, I use a button from : here - can just drag it into a toolbar, disable by pressing Esc. If its too slow/fast/needs more control, I guess I can hack something up for you.

Serp: Thanks. This new scroll seemed a bit jerky first try and I couldn't stop it. I pressed the button again and it stopped for a couple of seconds then resumed scrolling. I had to exit Opera to stop it.

Disabling js might work here but other forums I use need js. (In fact if I recall TDM forums need it for at least the control panel selector thing

[EDIT] OK I see Esc stops it. (I swear I tried that repeatedly before [because that is how I stopped the other one] and it didn't work!) Anyway, the fast scroll seems better - not so jerky and its not so fast as I feared.

But where are these buttons stored and would I remove it if I change my mind? I can't find 'buttons' on the bar (I always struggle to find that) so I had to install again so now I have two installs of this magi-button <sigh> Plus I still have my old ones which I can't remove even though I moved the script file away to another folder to disable it.

[EDIT2] OK I removed the extraneous buttons from the button bar but I have two installs of this magi-button. I've found the 'manager' (in View I think) but can't remove it.

Speaking of the new forum, modetwo, how is the CSS coming along?

In the meantime I made a usercss which fixes some of the worst color problems. If anyone is interested in it, I could put it on the wiki.

I would surely like to take a look at it.

Here: http://wiki.thedarkm...UserContent.css

Edit: Updated it a bit. Still not quite happy, it still uses way to many different shades of semi-gray, and I couldn't figure out where exactly the background of normal content is set (not even with Firebug and the Web Developer toolbar). Plus, a few things might still be unreadable. But it is a start :)

There isn't avaible smile emoticon for :)

It is, if you click on the smiley, then on the small arrow to the right (why it is so complicated to add one of the most-often used smiley, I don't know, tho :-( :sad: And I don't know why the normal smileys are not transformed, you always have to use the picture buttons....

:smile:

But where are these buttons stored and would I remove it if I change my mind? I can't find 'buttons' on the bar (I always struggle to find that) so I had to install again so now I have two installs of this magi-button <sigh> Plus I still have my old ones which I can't remove even though I moved the script file away to another folder to disable it.

Right click in a toolbar and Customize -> Appearance and then there's a Buttons tab to drag and drop stored buttons. Right clicking on a button on a toolbar will offer you the option to remove it.

And I don't know why the normal smileys are not transformed, you always have to use the picture buttons....

Yeah, that's weird. With all these odd quirks, this new version really isn't winning me over....

I'm not talking about the colours, I'm talking about the weird functional issues...not converting smilies, the arrow keys suddenly mapped to something different in the middle of a message, difficulty uploading images, etc.

I wonder if the cache size is set high enough in mysql..?

By that I mean Maximum Packet Size. I forget the default value, but on a server I set up I was advised to set that to 20MB. A few others were set to higher values than default also.

Such as:

large_files_support ON

max_allowed_packet 20970496

query_alloc_block_size 8192

query_cache_limit 1048576

query_cache_min_res_unit 4096

These values come from a low-demand server. This one may need larger values.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8