The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: House in Blackbog Hollow by stumpy (2011/10/28)

stumpy

41 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio use, mood.

blackbog1.jpg

House in Blackbog Hollow.

You've been hired by an old man to steal a sack of ancient items from a locked crate outside a warehouse in the small walled village of Black Bog, about 25 miles east of Bridgeport, the old man lives in an old ramshackled shack east of Black Bog church, you are to take the box to him as soon as you get it.

submission for the halloween contest 2011.

Map has not been betatested, so may break if you knockout or kill anyone or thing in the house or beyond, its also impossible to get all the loot there's always about 150 missing from total loot at the end.

Edited by Springheel
added thedarkmod.com mission download link
  • Like 3

Thanks for the mission.

Completed once I figured out

how to get the king pumpkin.

BTW, add one to the list of possible bugs: The first time I played through,

I went to the temple with only two pumpkins and no "pumpkin solution" paper, but I was able to trigger the sequence sending me off to the thief's temple and the endgame. Unfortunately, the objectives are broken in that scenario and you can't complete the mission. Definitely do not attempt to place pumpkins in the temple unless you have all 7 and you have the "pumpkin solution" paper (which triggers additional objectives needed to go through the mission properly).

Otherwise, very nice mission!

I did need to cheat to find out where the king pumpkin was,

but other than that, I had no difficulty other than the bug above.

Hmmm... I was enjoying this until...

... I went through a hidden passage (had barely explored any of the house), went downstairs, past a spider... watched a pumpkin fly around, saw a doorway open to outside... went there and was ported back inside with multiple pumpkins... thief in black came into the room and threw some energy bolts at me... I hit him with an arrow and down he went... pumpkins all merged with him... then I was alone again... went back upstairs and the house was gone... only a cave there now. I got the loot from the crate, but only had 645 loot from the house and nothing from the thief... no house to go back into because cave is there now. I saw no way to finish.

I'll play it again tomorrow and do things in a different order.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Hmmm... I was enjoying this until...

... I went through a hidden passage (had barely explored any of the house), went downstairs, past a spider... watched a pumpkin fly around, saw a doorway open to outside... went there and was ported back inside with multiple pumpkins... thief in black came into the room and threw some energy bolts at me... I hit him with an arrow and down he went... pumpkins all merged with him... then I was alone again... went back upstairs and the house was gone... only a cave there now. I got the loot from the crate, but only had 645 loot from the house and nothing from the thief... no house to go back into because cave is there now. I saw no way to finish.

I'll play it again tomorrow and do things in a different order.

You hit the same thing I did.

Explore the house and gardens thoroughly before going down there.

- prjames

This was a very enjoyable and very Halloween-appropriate mission. The visuals were simple but effective: good lighting to bring out environmental detail (which, as I have noted in Samhain Night, is crucial, but under-appreciated), the right amound of trim and decoration to feel lived-in. Also, all those cobwebs were worth it putting there - nice job!

I enjoyed the puzzle (although it felt a bit strange there was such a ready solution), and the mission had good flow - always something to do, and a lot of interesting changes. There were some really choice bits like

seeing people/spiders killed by pumpkins, the cemetary with its shallow graves, or the area transitions... the house disappearing at the end was classic.

Good use of scripted events as well.

Finally, this mission is completely like a Halloween story - light on horror, but full of creepy surprises. Well done!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Just found out about this new FM last night and finished it this afternoon.

At first, this mission seemed a bit simplistic, but all that changed after entering the house.

There was sooo much atmosphere to this. The background sounds really kicked in at well chosen points.

After scouting around a bit, I was thinking to myself, finally a new mission without zombies (did I ever mention I hate zombies?). I then I discovered the backyard. I crapped when I stumbled over a grave.

This was an unusual mission, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Not too hard, not too easy, had an interesting puzzle, and some interesting sights and twists. Nice job, and thank you!

Job well done, stumpy!

I'm torn over whether or not I like the pumpkin trope. It was pulled off very, very well, but it seemed almost humorous to me. But as I contemplate it, I can't think of anything but pumpkins working well in your story.

The puzzle was my favorite part of the mission. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't realize at first that I could frob and pick up the pumpkins until several minutes inside the house. But in the end, the cinematics you tied in with it made it feel rewarding.

It flowed pretty well. Because the map was fairly easy to navigate, I don't remember ever getting stumped as to where I should go.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Once I got started I was able to finish, I was trying to unlock the crate instead of just opening it???

Great mission enjoyed every minute of this one Thanks Stumpy!!!

It's not locked anymore because the other thief has already opened it and left the note for you, no way for him to lock it again.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I thought it was only me. I get a fatal crash and corrupted save a couple of times on just about every mission with v. 1.07.

Yeah it's weird as it didn't happen at all yesterday and I played 5 missions for several hours. I had to give up on Heart of Lone Salvation because everytime I walked around a corner it would lock up and my mouse stops responding, and I have to kill the Doom3 process to get my mouse back. Very weird.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.