The Dark Mod Forums

Manually applying an update

Artfunkel

Since the TDM updater was downloading so slowly, I copied the URL it was accessing and grabbed the file with a download manager (which was an order of magnitude faster, BTW).

What can I do with this file? I've tried unzipping it to the TDM folder, but if the updater is to be believed that's not enough. I've also tried copying the file to the temporary path that the updater downloads to, but it just throws the data away and starts downloading it again. I've also tried dragging the file onto the updater executable, but that doesn't seem to achieve anything either.

I really hope I don't have to wait for the updater to very slowly download this file for itself!

Edited by Artfunkel

As far as I know, the updater does not have the ability to use that file - the only way would be to "intercept" it's download and place the file where it wants it to be (is the temp. download location random?).

I am afraid unless you use a proxy which simply "inserts" that file, that is not going to work.

But it sounds like a feature we'd want to have (oh and using multiple downloader threads downloading from more than one mirror at the same time, but that is much more work).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Only if you like to add and delete a few hundred files from PK4 files all over :)

What you could do would be to download only the changed PK4 files in full, but off the hat I don't even know what their list is.

For the moment I canonly recommend letting the updater dowhat it wants to do that - if you abort it, it should choose a different mirror each time you start it, maybe one of them is much faster as the others?

Then please file a bug report (http://bugs.angua.at/) with the feature request to feed the updater the file (or make the updater check that the update file isn't already on the computer). I am pretty sure greebo will find some time to add this as it doesn't sound very complicated.

Sorry that it doesn't work - we obviously didn't think about that case.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

If you're talking about the tdm_update_1.06_to_1.07.zip file, then that's already supported. You can already download that one manually and place it in the same "target" folder, which is usually the one where tdm_update.exe is. If the ZIP file is intact and matching the checksums the updater will take it right off the bat without downloading a newer one.