The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

Rightful Property does not really have "issues", at least nothing which is within my possibilities to fix it. It just haves a scene in the town which is quite performance demanding (an engine thing), making it hard for older systems to play it there. The rest works fine and nothing will or needs to be changed. I will release today or tomorrow an "improved version", but thats basically only removing lots of unimportant lights and adding some visportals/skywalls to squeeze out a few more fps in some views on the market but that wont change much in the big picture (+ some very very very minor fixes like rotating textures or a z-fighting). I have posted my specs in the thread and if your PC matches them or is above them you can easily play it.

Edited by jysk
  • Like 1

removing lots of unimportant lights

Just wanted to comment that you might get away with setting lights to "noshadows 1." Just be careful how to light spills into separated areas (exterior wall light bleeds into the interior.)

It might be a good idea to check you existing scene with r_showprimitives. Check the amount of shadow tris. Generally if that is very high, you could help the scene a lot with noshadowing lights. Generally I've noticed that it is a good idea to make large outside scene lights that do not clip into other areas always into noshadows. Helps performance a lot.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Rightful Property does not really have "issues"...

Great. I was just keeping myself to cursory glances through its poll-thread (not wanting to see too much {i.e. spoilers}) and thought I'd seen a few posts about sound and crashing problems in addition to the marketplace lag. I wasn't and am not too worried about the lag anyway, but will go ahead and wait for the update.

I'm glad to see you too have been receiving many very high scores and congratulate you on that. I think the contesting has entered the "smashing success" realm just on the strength of the 1st 2 entries!

I may come off a bit schizo here -- what with me earlier asking SeriousToni to go ahead and relase his contest mission -- but really I'm not. All I'm saying is don't hold back your mission because of some essentially irrelevant deadline if it is ready to go, and by the same token (other side) don't release your mission because of some essentially irrelevant deadline if you know it is not really ready to go.

I understand what you are saying, but at some point you can not call it as a contest anymore if there's no real (and the same) deadline for all participants (imho).

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I've added an announcement to the Steam Group.

Remember, if you play TDM you can set TDM up as a non-steam game (right click games>add non-steam game>browse to .exe) (Then the shortcut is in steam, if you use that shortcut to play with 1.08 (when it's released) people will see you playing The Dark Mod (as 1.08 will have TheDarkMod.exe). Until then they will just see you playing Doom3.

This doesn't play it through steam, it's only a shortcut. So there are no bugs/issues, just a good way to have friends seeing what you are playing, might encourage more players to try it.

• Like 1

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

While it is a bit disappointing that there were only two new missions, the quality of both of them is *significantly* higher than I expected. The first one I played could have passed for a map from one of the regulars. It only makes me wonder what these folks could be capable of if they keep at it.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

I understand what you are saying, but at some point you can not call it as a contest anymore if there's no real (and the same) deadline for all participants (imho).

Well yeah I get what your saying but I'd like the rules to be a little bit more relaxed compared to the usual TDM contests as it's for beginners. Plus were severly lacking in entries. I'm willing to extend the deadline by a week if that's OK with you and jysk.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Hello Sir Taffsalot, it's cool that you understand and didn't think I want to bitch around or something. As we are only 4 people (otherwise we would only be 2, which didn't make much fun) I am okay with stretching the line to the 19.04.12 (don't know how about jysk), but hopefully Xarg and RPGista can release as fast as possible. If a release isn't possible until this point, then it maybe should be considered if it wouldn't be better to take more time on the map and producing a 100% complete map after the contest. Because I neither see any sense in forcing as most entries as possible, as they can still release their missions later after the contest.

Oh man, hopefully they arrive soon and we all get a happy ending :unsure:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I would ask if anyone is free for a limited play test before public release - I would really like to hear from a native speaker because Im mostly interested not only on mission feedback but also on a revision on all readables, as I wrotte them myself, and there should be things to correct in there. The point is to send a packaged mission to be played, so at least beta testers will be able to have the intended play experience if they choose to help.

Bump

RPGista: I may not be a native speaker, but I am happy to help, and have time tonight.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Workin' overtime all week, couldn't make even the extended deadline if I wanted to - sorry guys :(

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Better late than never - there is a constant thirst for new missions around here, so whenever you end up releasing it, we will be waiting. :) Just don't give up.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Indeed, though now it means I can play the 2 released missions, and keep my eye out for RPGista's mission.

Better late than never - there is a constant thirst for new missions around here, so whenever you end up releasing it, we will be waiting. :) Just don't give up.

I have been helping Xarg with this(atleast I think I have as I have helped most of the contestants...) and I can say it will be worth the wait :-D

You've done some amazing work Biker, without your help some areas would have the visual quality of Doom...

• Like 1