The Dark Mod Forums

TDM Beginners Contest

Sir Taffsalot

The rating system has indeed its shotcomings, but we did not created it, we only took it over. Ofc you can change the end result the way how you weighten the different scores. Maybe you want to create a new thread to the discuss the aspects of a rating system in full depth`? ;p

Edited by jysk

Oh dear.. Well hey, let us open up a new thread in which we discuss the pros and cons of an adequate evaluation system so that everybody can share his / her opinions on this topic!!!11

Haha jysk, I see we had the same thoughts! :D

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I had a look at the Halloween contest results thread to see how the rating system works. To be honest I might as well have been trying to decipher Keeper glyphs for all the sense I could make of it.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Whoa boys, all I did was ask nbohr1more about something I thought was curious, whoever said the rating has shortcomings, or that it needs revision? Lets not take things too seriously, nor put words in peoples mouths.

But yeah, I guess its up to nbohr1more. ;)

Fidcal's original scoring method was discussed on these very forums and many of the mappers

who were deciding whether to participate expressed concern that gameplay should be

weighted higher than other factors like visuals and story-telling. The peanut-gallery ^_^ players

who spoke-up in that thread seemed to concur on this matter.

These scores are subjective of course. I believe the intention is that any curve-ball you throw

to the default play-style should be either very natural for players to pickup or should be communicated

clearly to players before they try the mission. So a heavily scripted and story oriented mission could

be marked as having "good gameplay" as long as players are made aware that this is the intended

play-style and once given that a priori detail they still "actually enjoy" playing the mission.

The weights can be setup differently as I do not see any indications in the contest rules about

how the rankings should be set. Given that all three missions have excellent story elements,

I will say that it's downright appropriate to weigh the story element more evenly in the ratings.

Any deviation from the original scoring, however, will make it hard to cross compare these missions

with ones submitted for other contests. Though, based on previous discussions, that is pretty much

a moot point anyway.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Thanks for clearing that up. No point in discussing the system any further as far as Im concerned. But I thought you would come up with some numbers! Those are guys are probably wanting to know by now. ;)

• 1 month later...

It finished a couple of months ago. However, don't let that discourage you from making a map anyway - without a contest on, there's plenty of experienced mappers who can give you advice if you get caught up on something, and the wiki is pretty good too.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Non-contest missions are perfectly welcome! In fact, there are other people who didn't finish on time -- and I hope they will release their FMs as well. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 month later...

So I was browsing around the ModDB page and I noticed that the contest missions are featured in the screenshot section with no description that I can find, and are untraceable anywhere else - wouldn't it be interesting to have it as a (late) news article that a beginner contest happened? I think it would be good for people browsing the mod over there to realise not only "experienced" mappers are taking a stab at creating missions...

PS: Maybe also a reference on the official page? This is not really plugging our missions, but news are news, could be good to call a little bit more attention to the mod.

I was planning on doing a combo article with the release of Crystal Grave that seemed to be due shortly... I am partly to blame here as I haven't had much time to beta test that mission since Biker fixed the performance issues. Maybe one more tester could help speed that along. It's pretty much done AFAIK.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Well, it's just a suggestion, but I think it would actually be beneficial to distinguish between the contest missions and any other that might also be announced, so each have their own entry. Looking foward to the articles then.

The missions themselves were very impressive, but I don't think the fact that there were only two/three entries is something to draw attention to.

It's up to you guys, but I dont really see why that fact would be of any concern - there was a beginners contest, there were three new missions released because of that, here's the news, check them out, that's all people will care about, imho.

• 3 years later...

hi everyone!! I am playing In rememberance of him but I can't find the only thing I have to find, and as this is the only thread with a bit of a reference to this mission I thought to ask here...I found one priest doing gravedigging and one -unfortunate- priest at the basement but.. how do I proceed from there.. if there is an entrance in the dark I never found it.. If anyone can remember I would like a hint, thank you.!!

You can find the mission discussion thread here.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved