The Dark Mod Forums

New Audio Contributors

mikmanner

Hello my name is Michael Manning, I'm a sound designer / composer working in the games industry with over 5 years of experience. I'm a big fan of the Thief series and am very excited by this mod, I played it a couple of years ago and was jolted back into it by the recent Rock Paper Shotgun article.

Since playing through the mod again an area that really stood out negatively for me was the audio and I feel compelled to jump in and help out in any way I can because there's some incredible aspects to this mod and with a really strong audio presentation it'll really take off especially when it comes to releasing the planned standalone edition.

From talking to Greebo I understand that the audio hasn't been updated much since 2005 and I think from a quality perspective the foley, ambience and some of the atmospherics need attention.

What I propose is for me to work with my friend (who's also an industry sound designer) and for us to take an in-depth look at the current audio system and assets. We can assess what the requirements are to bring the audio up to professional standards and identify areas where enhancements can be made. Based on this data we can build a roadmap on how to achieve this and actually get to doing the work.

We would need some help though as neither of us have worked with ID Tech before so we do not know how audio is implemented in the game, what the audio features are, if we can use FMOD as middleware etc so we'd need to spend some time chatting with someone here to work it all out.

Does this sound like something that you guys would be interested in?

I've a portfolio of my recent work over at www.manningaudio.com

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks for the introduction, Michael, I think your offer is a very kind one.

As for getting help in understanding how the sound is set up in idtech4/Doom 3/The Dark Mod: I don't think we'll run into much troubles here, there are a couple of knowledgeable team members around who can jump in and answer any questions. I know the sound system reasonably well and I'll try to be as helpful as I can myself, even though I don't have as much free time as I used to have a few years ago.

Well you certainly sound professional. I look forward to seeing (hearing) what you contribute.

Getting audio into the game is pretty straightforward. There is even a built-in sound property editor created specifically to allow a sound designer (who isn't necessarily a mapper) to place and adjust sounds in-game.

Welcome mikmanner. Audio for TDM has been kind of a hodgepodge because we: 1) haven't really had anyone overseeing it for years, and 2) haven't had many contributors, so we've had to take what we can get. Access to good quality recordings is hard to come by, so anything you can do to help us out in that area would be well appreciated.

Well it's early to say but if you guys want an audio team to oversee it on a part time (but consistent) basis then we can provide this - we will spend some time working up some plans and present them in the forum once we understand the systems a bit better. You can then decide if you want us to go ahead with them or not.

Welcome mikmanner. Audio for TDM has been kind of a hodgepodge because we: 1) haven't really had anyone overseeing it for years, and 2) haven't had many contributors, so we've had to take what we can get. Access to good quality recordings is hard to come by, so anything you can do to help us out in that area would be well appreciated.

• 1 month later...