The Dark Mod Forums

What Makes A Good Fan Mission?

JulioTheDanks

That's a perfect example of appropriate humour. The guards didn't say anything that was a "joke"; they sounded like believable characters, with the humour coming from their dimness and their exaggerated bloodlust, respectively.

That's a perfect example of appropriate humour. The guards didn't say anything that was a "joke"; they sounded like believable characters, with the humour coming from their dimness and their exaggerated bloodlust, respectively.

Its honestly one of the few dialogs I've heard in a game that made me laugh. The fact that your overhearing it as well and that its completely optional to listen to makes it even better. You can either run right by the gate and go on with your mission or you can go "hold up, what are they saying?" and listen to them talk. It makes it all the better.

The only limits your imagination has are the ones you set.

Eavesdropping was one of the great ways Thief made you feel like you were finding out things you weren't supposed to know, by intruding into other people's lives. That is something that is missing in a lot of TDM fan missions.

Eavesdropping was one of the great ways Thief made you feel like you were finding out things you weren't supposed to know, by intruding into other people's lives. That is something that is missing in a lot of TDM fan missions.

I see two reasons for this:

1 - The available actors already have voices, and it's very difficult putting one of them into a scene and trying match his voice. One way around this is to use actors who don't appear elsewhere, like I did at the end of SATC. Another is to make an actor mute outside the conversation.

2 - There is much discussion on this forum about the quality of voice acting, which puts off those of us who don't have sound booths, expensive equipment, and years of voice acting experience.

One overall solution would be the ability to submit scripts to those who contributed the existing voices. But if those folks are gone, busy with their own work, or uninterested, we're SOL.

If the community were more forgiving about voice acting, you'd probably see more conversations, both overheard and witnessed. And we might have some briefing voiceovers, as well.

If the community were more forgiving about voice acting, you'd probably see more conversations, both overheard and witnessed. And we might have some briefing voiceovers, as well.

We want the vocals released with the mod to sound as professional as possible, but I don't think it matters as much for mission convos. I think people's standards would be much less. But I know what you're talking about. I feel the same way about some mapping discussions, which I'm sure put off potential new mappers.

For the record, I recorded a single line in A Score to Settle for a guard knocking on a door. I just mimicked the "pro" voice as best I could and recorded it in my living room on my regular old digital camera. It may not have been perfect but it was enough to suspend disbelief and added a nice bit of colour, I think. Maybe lots of people cringed but didn't say anything, I don't know.

You can listen to it here:

! 25:45

(also, conversations are the only way to create an "intruding into someone's life" feeling...readables can also do this)

You can listen to it here:

! 25:45

"Keep it down out there?" You got me fooled: it sounds just like the proguard voice actor. And now that you say it, I detect the sound quality differs from the proguard ones, but it fits nicely since the sound comes from inside.

Is that a forum members playing and talking? Is that you Sotha? :)

Nope, not me.

I've got my single line of internet published voice acting right there inside knightons manor. Me impersonating the noble vocal set. It took many numbers of attempts to get that recorded with a crappy headset, and still the crappy voice acting makes me shiver. No one complained about it, though.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If you only did voice in Knighton's, who was the dealer in Mandrasola?

Ocn, of course. Great voice! He has also voiced the critic vocal set. I wonder if he is still around here somewhere... I could use some high quality voice acting for my current WIP, when the time comes..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Oh crap, I went to click Back to The Dark Mod and accidentally hit report on Sotha's post... if that report went through, would the admin kindly ignore it :(

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

No one complained about it, though.

Yep, I think the thing to take away from this is that people will be much more forgiving of the vocal quality in a FM than they might be of the main mod, and will probably just appreciate the effort.