The Dark Mod Forums

Announcing: Closemouthed Shadows: Dark Vendetta (Closemouthed Shadows 2)

LordSavage

Announcing: Closemouthed Shadows: Dark Vendetta (working title)

Big Edit: Due to some confusion here is some clarification. ;)

Is this a complete mission yet?

- This is not nearly finished.

Why did the briefing suck?

- My english grammar is bad as hell. (I would like you to go over my text when it's finished Springheel, thanks in advance :))

Will this have a good briefing when it's finished?

- I hope so.

What is this mission all about?

- This is a sequel to the (2008) first mission (see storyline).

Why am I doing this?

- Mapping is great fun. The Dark Mod has evolved and so have my mapping skills. So I'd like to see what is possible with the current Dark Mod and what haven't been done so far (see goals). I was so proud of my first TDM mission and I want to be proud of a TDM mission again.

What's the storyline?

- Won't spoil too much but you stole Lord Julians scepter in "Closemouthed Shadows (1)" and he is hunting you down now and killed your friend. Revenge!

What are the goals for this mission?

- Include cool stuff like: Alternate endings (I think that hasn't been done so far), go to an island by boat (I think that hasn't been done so far), "deep" story with changing objectives, variety in places (river, houses, caves/ruins, island), nice visuals...

Aren't that very high expectations?

- Worst thing that can happen is that in ends in the "Abandoned Works" thread ;).

Why a thread for this?

- To say: "Hello I'm still here" and as a warning: "I may ask a bunch of questions and report some bugs soon" ;).

shotr.jpg

The screenshot looks extremely washed out (otherwise it looks good) and the briefing is littered with typos and grammatical errors. Also the briefing doesn't sound like something a Victorian/Edwardian person would write, mainly because of the references to games (hunting game, game called life) and shooting fish in barrels (there are no guns in TDM).

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I feel that the briefing could be improved a lot without changing the meaning of it.

The screenshot looks extremely washed out (otherwise it looks good) and the briefing is littered with typos and grammatical errors. Also the briefing doesn't sound like something a Victorian/Edwardian person would write, mainly because of the references to games (hunting game, game called life) and shooting fish in barrels (there are no guns in TDM).

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I feel that the briefing could be improved a lot without changing the meaning of it.

I'm not a native english speaker but you're welcome to help :).

Welcome back LordSavage!

If that shot is fogged I wouldn't worry too much about how the screen shot came out. It's tough to capture dark fogged images well.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The screenshot looks good to me (although it could have been replaced?). Writing is important, though, so I can only agree with what Nosslak says.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Welcome back LordSavage!

If that shot is fogged I wouldn't worry too much about how the screen shot came out. It's tough to capture dark fogged images well.

Thanks. Yes, it's hard to capture the fog on images but ingame it does look quite good. It may look washed out here due to the fact that the drawing distance (ShaderParm3) in the fog is very high (2000 units).

Fog:

csdvfog.jpg

Very nice shots!

When the time comes I'd be happy to go over your text if you'd like.

I really like those docks, they look quite good indeed. The fog adds a lot to the atmosphere, Im considering going for a very subtle fog myself... I also like the reflective water better than the clear, volumetric one sometimes used in TDM, it works much more realisticly in pitch blackness.

Looking foward to it!

PS: This reminds me, are Arcturus fishes from the grass test map available to other mappers yet (like added to DR)? Open waters llike this could really use them I think...

Edited by RPGista

This is to compare "fog" and "no fog". It's really hard to make good fog screenshots but the fog works fine when you are in the game.

The bridge covered with fog:

shot00001ks.jpg

The bridge part without fog (featuring the statue of St. Christophorus, patron saint of the sea, lit by the sailors once a year to protect the souls of all missing seamen):

shot00004fb.jpg

Wait - I'm confused - was this a partial FM you were offering but removed just due to the briefing being flawed?

In any case the screenies look fab!

Is "closedmouth" a pun / reference to "Innsmouth" I guess?

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Wait - I'm confused - was this a partial FM you were offering but removed just due to the briefing being flawed?

It's not yet finished :). This thread just announces that I'm still alive and working on a full mission sequel to the first (very short and simple) mission.

In any case the screenies look fab!

Thanks!

Is "closedmouth" a pun / reference to "Innsmouth" I guess?

Disclaimer: All characters and places appearing in this work are fictitious and not related to other works. Any resemblance to places or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. :D

shot00004fb.jpg

whats point of taking screenshot when you are in the "void" ? such screenshots is for tech questions,not for showcase.

actually, screenshots with fog looks cool,but that scrennshot is just ugly.Brush with sky_portal texture closing view on geometry

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

whats point of taking screenshot when you are in the "void" ? such screenshots is for tech questions,not for showcase.

actually, screenshots with fog looks cool,but that scrennshot is just ugly.Brush with sky_portal texture closing view on geometry

As Baddcog said it's not a showcase screenshot :).

This screen is just to show what the fog covers (well, the river is much longer now). It's not sky_portal btw. sky_portal destroys the illusion of beeing deep in the fog. The black "line" is the ambientlightnfo border.

I really like subtle additions to the mythos of Bridgeport like the idea of the statue being praised by mariners. Very cool.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 2 months later...