The Dark Mod Forums

Texture Reorg Vol. 4

Renzatic

I've come to realise that the way our current directory is set up is a bit....counterproductive. You can blame it on me considering that it was originally my idea, but I was more of a stark newb then and I now have a better idea of how to approach this.

The biggest problem with the current directory is that it's a pain in the ass having to jump from folder ot folder just to load up specific textures that you need. None of the other editors out there, be it vanilla Doom 3, Unreal, Farcry, or whatever, are set up this way.

I'm thinking of modeling it around a theme specific setup rather than the set/subset dealie we have now. For example, instead of:

Mansion/walls/stone/mansion_wall_stone01

Mansion/doors/wood/mansion_door_wood03

or

Crypt/doors/metal/crypt_door_metal01

Crypt/Floors/stone/crypt_floor_stone06

..it'll be designed to load up every specific texture for that theme and organized by name. Like:

mansion/mansdoor02

mansion/mansdoor04

or

crypt/crypfloor06

crypt/crypwall07

That way a mapper won't have to jump back and forth between folders to have access to all the specific theme textures. If he wants to get to the door textures all he has to do is scroll down the window til he reaches em then jump back up to the walls later. Easy as that.

Plus we have to consider that we're wasting tons of space by having an extra _ed file in there when we can just use the diffuse for both. This is how Id has it set up and we could easily cull an extra 60 meg from the mod by doing this.

It'll take alot of material rewriting and texture renaming, but it won't be as difficult as last time thanks to Blackthief reorganizing all the materials into seperate files. The only problem I see with it is if we get ALOT of textures, as in more than 200, in a specific folder....but overall this is a much better setup.

Your thoughts?

We should discuss this together, so we don't need to reorg every few months.

Damn straight, we need to get this finalized...I'm sick of rewriting the files and converting my maps. :P

I want this to be the final big reorganization, but we need to keep user friendliness in mind along with structure this time around.

Plus we have to consider that we're wasting tons of space by having an extra _ed file in there when we can just use the diffuse for both. This is how Id has it set up and we could easily cull an extra 60 meg from the mod by doing this.

Your thoughts?

hehe, that's a thing a noticed months before and as you can see I already left out the stupid _ed texture for the latest textures.