The Dark Mod Forums

"TremZ": A Tremulous fork with a modern engine and gameplay enhancements.

lost_soul

I just thought I would share this here in case anyone else is interested. Basically, the original game has been stuck in development hell for over half a decade, so a new project has sprung up with a custom Q3 engine shown here.

And here's a link to the impending release thread: http://www.tremz.com...ead.php?tid=226

One thing I wonder about is the physics. Wouldn't that cause a massive increase in the connection speed needed for Internet games? Think of it like this. Instead of the server sending "door is closed" or "door is open", it has to send the exact position for all movable objects like crates/barrels and the velocity at which they are traveling unless they're nailed to the ground, right? IIRC games like UT2004 had ragdolls, but they were just computed locally on clients' machines and didn't have any real effect on gameplay. Other games with ragdolls and advanced physics use the cheap method of having them disappear almost immediately when broken, like good ol' Doom 3.

It is great to see a Q3 based engine with better physics though. Hopefully we will see some of the classic Tremulous maps with real-time lighting and the works. Karith Station could look awesome.

Edited by lost_soul

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Well, it depends, if you let f.i. compute the client locally what the boxes do, and then only sync them from time to time, it might work. E.g. the direction etc of a "thing" only changes upon a collision. So if the server computes the flight path etc and only sends updates to clients when collisions occur, the clients can "follow" the server computation by doing the exact same computation.

E.g.:

Server: Box 1 is at position x,y,z, rotation speed u,v,w, translation k,l,m

Client: ok

Server: Box 1 is at position x,y,z, rotation speed u,v,w, translation k,l,m (it got moved)

Client: ok, computing path

A bit later:

Server: Box 1 is now at position x,y,z, rotation speed u,v,w, translation k,l,m (it collided with ground)

Client: ok

In the last step, the client can correct the box locally (in case his computations where somehow different). If the difference is small, no heavy jumping will occur.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax