The Dark Mod Forums

Game Dev/Pubs - taking the piss

Bikerdude

• Apparently the publishers will have the ability to block you from reselling games,
  • So I played some single player games like TDM instead.
  • Notice how they don't mention what happens when they decide to eventually turn this off either. I'll stay far away from this system.

• That would technicaly be illegal in the eu.
  • good man
  • +1

I have an idea actually. What if we write letters to the major stores and try to convince them to refuse to carry this system with the current scheme? All you have to say is "Remember Blockbuster Video, Remember Hollywood Video? What did online distribution do for them? What will happen when a customer brings back a game that won't activate to your store due to server issues that are out of your hands entirely?"

The retail stores need to put their feet down on this sort of thing or they will lose a lot of business and end up having to deal with shit like I just explained above.

They won't go bust, because games/digital media aren't the only thing the stores carry, but one way or another, they are going to lose out big in this deal in the future.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

xbone $500 in Murica, £429 in UK + elsewhere. bwahahaha!!

I actually watched the e3 m$oft unveil live to see all the booing, but should have anticipated how they would stack the audience with m$oft employees. The only time you could hear the boos and jeers was when team m$oft were really obviously not supposed to overwhelm the event with applause, like when the BF4 demo was... extended.

In a related issue, I don't know if you heard, but the new mandatory always-on kinect can track eye movement, conversations, and what direction your head is turned to evaluate if you are paying attention to commercials (see the new kinect patents filed for details). If you don't watch your commercials like a good consumer, they get extended. So when the e3 audience attention-span started to wander, the demo-kinect saw this, and caused BF4 demo to malfunction, and take much longer than expected. So at least we know the new kinect is functioning to spec. har har.

Not many people get consoles when they first come out though. We usually wait for price drops and lots of great games to choose from...

Funny thing; when I was a kid, consoles were cheap and computers were REALLY ****ing expensive. These days computers can be cheaper than consoles. You can pick up an APU-powered laptop for that price that'll run loads of games.

That idea of punishing people for not watching commercials by making said commercial longer is funny though.

Not only that, but the privacy concerns with the kinect sensors monitoring everything you do and the always on function of the XB1.

the privacy concerns are easily the most important topic of this entire issue, but whether spy stuff is or is not in the xbox, 90% of consumers will never actually believe the spy stuff is there or is real, or just don't care enough to vote with wallet against it in the face of 'omg supercool graffix on kewl gamez'. so really it has no influence on consumer purchases (overall).

What if Sony releases the console without the restrictions on used games now and implements the feature with a future firmware update? They get to look like the good guys now and then have their cake later too. There's nothing stopping them from doing it either. :) (this is in reference to how they removed the ability to run another OS on the PS3.)

Edited by lost_soul

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/19/microsoft_uturn_drm_used_gaming_controls/

They've decided to call this off... for now. I'm guessing they will try to re-introduce this feature on a next-gen system, when the public has been brainwashed to be more accepting of such things.

Don Mattrick, "We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity"

@DM, what ever you dipshit - you tried to f**k us over and then enough of us said "er, you can f**k right of mate". Then you and your bean counters were forced, rather unceremoniously to do a u-turn on your money-grabbing, shortsighted bullshit policies...

What remains to be seen with the X-bone and the PS4 is if they try and re-enable this bollox later down the line.

• 2 months later...

http://www.dailytech...rticle33385.htm

This is pretty funny. A guy posts some videos of a game a DAY before it is "officially released" and he and his console get banned from Live... permanently.

Its but a taste of the future to come, where if you do ANYTHING to piss off a large company or a publisher that they are cooperating with, they will take away access to every piece of entertainment you enjoy. Kiss your movies, music, games, etc bye-bye. 'tis all part of the forced-subscription model.

Edited by lost_soul

Even if it was legal, I doubt any company would actually ban a user from his content. It would simply forever doom their market model. People are still wary of DRM, just waiting for something like that to happen.

I can't get over on how cheap these consoles are there. By "there" I mean "not here". It costs the same as a top notch PC here, that's why it took me a while to understand why anyone prefers a console.

The key here is modernation. If a company does that sort of thing to a random guy infrequently, nobody will really care. We'll just point and laugh.

Hoever it would indeed be very stupid if they started banning/locking masses of people out of content though.

I don't think developers are able to do that on XBOX though. It is my understanding that ALL games on disk are fully functional and self-contained (playable) without Internet access, excluding extra material made available after release. If I'm wrong here, please do tell me. Its the reason I switched to XBOX for modern mainstream gaming. If a game isn't fully functional and self-contained "out of the box", its defective in my eyes.

Stumpy, it is very much possible to record the gameplay footage from the Xbox or Playstation to your computer, so you don't need the pc version.

Soul, extra material has to be downloaded to the hard drive. It is not present on the disk at release.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

• 4 years later...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/20/we-were-after-one-guy-say-malware-flight-simmers/

A lot of people look at me funny when I tell them I don't want Linux to get popular. Well at least I imagine they do, since I can't see their faces over the Internet. Anyway, here is yet another example of why I feel the way that I do. On Windows, developers seem to think it is okay to fuck with things that they have 0 business fucking with. Sometimes its DRM-crusading assholes installing secret kernel mode drivers with games or tampering with the boot sector in the case of Flexnet, or in this case dropping a password harvester. Other times, software installers will try to install a browser toolbar, or hijack the preferred search engine/home page.

I have no interest in the riffraff coming over to Linux, which is something that's guaranteed to happen if it gets popular. Therefor, I don't want it to.

The article makes it sound as though the installer only leaves the password harvesting payload in place if he is using a cracked product key. But given the fact that kids installing cracked games onto family computers is as common as a blue sky, this behavior is still not okay. (They could very well end up harvesting passwords of people who played no part in the installation of this content!)

this behavior is still not okay. (They could very well end up harvesting passwords of people who played no part in the installation of this content!)

Thats the rub, its highly illegal. Once we allow this type of behaviour, they think they can get away with it. If I had just paid what my cousin had paid (£60 for a game...!!!) I would be emailing the CEO of FSlabs with a view to taking legal action.

Edited by Bikerdude