The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

jysk

Poll: Rightful Property  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Just started on hardest setting and it is really good up to now.

However I found a slight glitch.

in the warehouse the crate with the wine bottles was very difficult to find because the lantern didn't illuminate it

After leaving the warehouse and turning right I found another black object which doesn't light up

UPDATE - FIXED - I was still running 1.06 updating to 1.07 fixed it

Edited by Oldjim

SORTED

See edited post above

These are pictures of the

crate in the warehouse where the bottles of wine are as promised to the fishmonger with the lantern lit. You can see that the wall is illuminated but not the crate

I have reduced them in size a bit

post-8491-0-79273300-1334523675_thumb.jpg

post-8491-0-03641400-1334523690_thumb.jpg

Just to add - I am now up to the point where I get the next objective to get the orb - this is a really enjoyable mission

Edited by Oldjim

Congrats on the release of your first mission jysk, very ambitious to say the least. I really admire and am so appreciative of those who can do this. I spent several hours playing this through including going back in to find the missed loot (personal goal - find it all :D )

eventually found 3568 loot out of 3570 so may have to go look for the rest another day :(

Sorry to say they weren't all enjoyalble but overall liked this mission.

Seriously that spider scene - WOW! I just knew it was there, even tried to go around the area and sneak to the back but then the dam_ thing practically dropped on my head and then I was dead, so had to take a break and get the heart beat back to normal. I went back in later and tried several different ways to trigger it but it only seemed to want my terrified little body :laugh: . So waited for the brave one (my son) to wake up and take care of it for me :blush:. Kudo's on the scare factor.

This mission is marvellous! Especially for a first one. Tip of my hat sir, you are quite talented :). What really surprises me is that both missions released now are so complete. By which I mean they have everything: good gameplay, good story, good design, characters, story, briefing, also sizeable. And that in a limited amount of time.

• Like 1

@ Thiefette:

One gold coin has probablby sunken in the shed in the docks into the ground, so you cant find it. x:

Thats already fixed in a newer version, see my post on the page before. °-^

@ Jaxa dunno its working fine for me, this is a standard readable edited with the standard readable editor. You encounter really strange bugs nobody else have. :/

Edited by jysk

@ Thiefette:

One gold coin has probablby sunken in the shed in the docks into the ground, so you cant find it. x:

Thats already fixed in a newer version, see my post on the page before. °-^

Ah yes, probably with the other things. Sooo that leaves me with only one to find. :) Thanks jysk.

Edited by Thiefette

these bug reportings are not fixable by author. Besides it's highly possible to skip by team especially when you put it in a spoiler, and it only gets author down.

Fine, I filed a bug report. I have seen similar mission bugs where a not well-formed book script would cause it to screw up. But I will just hit the tracker and let someone else decide.

I started playing the 1.1 version a couple hours ago.

Exceptionally fine mission.

In Jason's room, I was unable to frob the arrow from the footlocker, despite attempting it from several angles.

Also, there's a piece of paper on the floor that highlights. I frobbed it and my raised weapon lowered, but no readable was painted on the screen. When I movde away from the paper, the weapon rose again. This was behaving as if I was reading something, but nothing was displayed.

The lights in the warehouse use the "looks lit when off" model. There are lights available that will switch skins when they go on and off, and for future missions you probably want to look at using those instead.

I don't want to read through the whole thread to avoid spoilers, but I updated your download location to the one listed under 1.1. Let me know if it's not correct.

Completed on hard and I have to say that other than a few technical glitches this was a really excellent mission - congratulations

Regarding my earlier problem - re black objects not illuminating - sorted I was still running v1.06.

Updating to 1.07 fixed it and now I am not sure how many of the glitches were down to being on an old version

Another update

Now playing Version 1.1 on Dark Mod 1.07 and no technical glitches up to now so it looks as though my failure to update was the problem.

I did rather like the blue torches on the walls but they are now back to the regular colour

Just a quick late-night note to say 'FINISHED!' and it's a great mission; voted Excellent/Near Perfect/Excellent. Plus I managed to find my way up where I shouldn't really go (I'd be surprised if I'm the only one - too many stackable crates around :D):-

post-9265-0-81393500-1334619015_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-49040400-1334619076_thumb.jpg

Gobsmacking stuff, jysk. Thanks for a great mission.

Blue torches? That must have looked funny. I am glad you liked it. :)

Ofc epople always need to upgrade to the newsest TDM version.

@ Springheel: thanks. :)

@ simplen00b: Lol i guess you just climbed over the playerclip with those crates it seems at the wall. I should have expected someone like you and make it higher. Or i should have hid a surprise on the wall for you. :P

Edited by jysk

In the midst of playing 1.1 (and, so, not reading the rest of this thread yet)...

So far this is really quite good. I've played 2 sessions of it -- meaning I've played to my hearts content and needed to get out and stretch & relax -- and yet I haven't even begun in earnest to set about on any of the main objectives!

Anyway, thought I'd say that much, but I wanted to point out something before I forget it; something that either jysk or Sotha probably needs to look at:

The briefing uses Sotha's excellent system. But I had a problem for the 1st time with this one. I got to the "Aside from that..." panel/page and wanted to rewind back to find out where this mission was going down -- the name of the town (I hadn't paid perfect attention). I was unable to rewind to the previous page. All the "back" button would do is replay the under-animation of the current page. I tried clicking it a few times and it was constistent. So, I moved on and another glitch probably related to my attempt to go back occured: the next page/panel's screen (text and animation) came up as it should but the "aside from that..." text repeated on top of the new text, resulting in unreadable stuff and such.

Huh yeah, i took the standard briefing (which has 6 pages) and added a page entry of my my own (for 7 pages). The problem is/was that such an entry includes numerous lines referencing to other parts of the briefing (through numbers) where I for the most part did not really understood what the particular line was for, so i just looked on the entries and tryed to change the numbes in a locigal way. In the end it seems that it works forward but for the backward part, I will try to look into it.

Edited by jysk

Well, while you are doing that... (and hopefully between you and Sotha it can all be figured and ironed out, for now and for the future) I'll have you think about this...

I'm still only getting around to the (ostensible) "Main Quest". I've just been in for another session.

First-time mapper or not, this is honestly turning out to be one of the best missions yet for TDM.

So far at least; and with the eminently objective me grading it! (I am objective!); but I am also aware that I have been starved for a good mission for quite some time... Still, as yet, I can only think of a few plus maybe a few others that I would recall so fondly.

Huh yeah, i took the standard briefing (which has 6 pages) and added a page entry of my my own (for 7 pages). The problem is/was that such an entry includes numerous lines referencing to other parts of the briefing (through numbers) where I for the most part did not really understood what the particular line was for, so i just looked on the entries and tryed to change the numbes in a locigal way. In the end it seems that it works forward but for the backward part, I will try to look into it.

Yeah, the briefing is a mess. It works and it is easy to change if you only put text and images. More serious editing is very error prone and non-fun. After making the 10 page edition of the mandrasola edition of the briefing, I've promised myself I am not touching the briefing guis ever again, other than simply adding text and pictures.

I think it is possible to redesign the briefing to work better as shown here

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4811

That would also make it easier to add campaign support.

But yeah, as said, I am not touching it anymore.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Still loving the hell out of this one.

But I did just experience some downside... I'll be terse, when I only mean to be concise, so that I can get back to RL and then back into the mission:

Jason's room at the inn. He's dead. A shame...

There is a journal that explains this and there are some goodies too. To get to them I had to squeeze myself around the back of his bed a bit, at which point I clipped outside -- for a moment, luckily, because I'm sure I could have become unhinged enough to end up outside... or worse, caught-up up there.

But that's not what happened so that's only a minor flaw in this gem. What did moreso irritate was that there was also a frob-able sheet of paper in the middle of that same room... that I could frob... to no effect but the defrobbing! And, along that same line, a moss arrow in the chest in that room was entirely there but entirely un frob-able. Frustrating, these 2 things.