The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Rightful Property - by jysk (2012/04/13)

jysk

Poll: Rightful Property  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Just completed it on hardest with the new build - glitches fixed but a couple of comments.

I collected all the loot but one thing confused me

the spectacles on the table in the bank illuminate when hovering over them but aren't frobbable. Also despite getting all the loot it tdm_show_loot showed one item remaining which seemed to be the spectacles

The second was either a glitch or you were being extremely clever.

In the bank I knocked out all the guards and dumped them on the lift from the basement and then lowered it to leave the bank. When going back to get some missed loot the lift wouldn't raise unless I lightened the load by moving the bodies off it

Edited by Oldjim

In the bank I knocked out all the guards and dumped them on the lift from the basement and then lowered it to leave the bank. When going back to get some missed loot the lift wouldn't raise unless I lightened the load by moving the bodies off it

I don't remember if they did, but if the bank guards have pauldrons, the lift won't rise, because it thinks the pauldrons are blocking it.

This problem is fixed in 1.08.

• Like 1

I had a great time. It's funny because in many respects this mission is rather opposite to SeriousToni's in strengths and weaknesses, though the overall story and feel are great in both.

On the positive side, there are many guards, great architecture and scene building, lots of hidden things and the place feels larger than it is, although it is already quite large.

On the negative side, my 4870X2 had some trouble rendering parts of the marketplace, I really dislike the brutal changes in ambient lighting when going through different zones of the marketplace or when entering/exiting a building, some of the guard patrols feel out of place or too artificial (for instance the guy circling in the guard house next to the bank), and I had a lot of trouble finding the required loot on the highest difficulty, because there's so much of it and it has so little value. I think the required amounts of loot are a little too high.

Thanks for the mission, I'm hugely impressed by both releases in the contest so far.

BTW if a moderator sees this, I made a mistake when voting: I wanted to put "Excellent" in story & text.

Edited by Briareos H

Yes, the ambient light changes sometimes when going through a Visportal, but i have no clue why. There is a single ambient light for the whole map. :/

When entering a new location, the lights in that location can contribute to the overall ambient value. When passing from a dark location to a lit location, or vice versa, the effect can sometimes be jarring.

There's a spawnarg you can set on info_location entities:

"ambient_light_dynamic" "0 0 0"

This keeps TDM from adjusting the ambient value for that location when the player enters it. I've had to use it in a few spots in my WIP to turn off the sudden change in ambient light.

• Like 2

When entering a new location, the lights in that location can contribute to the overall ambient value. When passing from a dark location to a lit location, or vice versa, the effect can sometimes be jarring.

While that's a good idea and an interesting way to simulate coarsely eye adaptation, I would suggest that:

1. Lights which are outdoors (I don't know if exterior zones can be flagged easily) do not contribute to ambient value adaptation;
  2. And/or: When entering/exiting a zone using dynamic ambient, that value is ramped up/down slowly over a few seconds.

Edited by Briareos H

I was going to post about this - I get 'flashes' fairly regularly (in many FMs) where the ambient light suddenly brightens for a second or two before going back to normal; 'Rightful Property' is the first one I've been aware of where it brightened and stayed brightened until I moved to another area.

I thought it was going to be something to do with my graphics set-up. Glad to hear there may be a fix.

I thought it was going to be something to do with my graphics set-up. Glad to hear there may be a fix.

Well, there's no code fix for this (atm). I don't think there's a bugtracker issue for it, so nothing's in the works, assuming the team wants to implement a change in the first place.

There is a workaround that mappers can use to avoid the problem if it's noticeable, and that's what I mentioned upthread.

What a large map for a four months build!!

Ambitious for a first release.

Gameplay unfortunatly is hindered with some dia-show performance on low-end machines, not only on the square open market place. Also inside the tavern and bank. You may like to check for internal leaks and consider fixing the ambient light changes like grayman specified.

I specially liked the bank, and the

shock moment in sewers deep down

Also that a lot of treasure had to be found scattered through all the map...

Congratulation and thank you jysk!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

There is a workaround that mappers can use to avoid the problem if it's noticeable, and that's what I mentioned upthread.

Yeah, I assumed from jysk's reply to you above that that's what he had done. jysk - will you be releasing a version with that problem solved? I hope so - it was one of the few distractions in an overall excellent mission.

The verison upped now hast the ambient light fix (for the city, as i did not recognized the problem inside the houses or the docks). ;)

Internal Leaks - there are none. The VP's all work, the engine just cant handle the scenes because it is too much at once. :/

Edited by jysk

Here's a new Dropbox mirror for the latest version too:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/rightful1.1b.pk4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/rightful1.1b.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@jysk:

If this is your final version (for now) please PM Greebo and let him know you want the downloader to have the 1.1b edition.

If you are planning on releasing one more tweaked version, hold-off until that is completed.

Thanks,

nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'm very much enjoying playing this one but , ( and I've been here before with Return to the City ) , is anyone else experiencing slowdow in the City area? And more to the point is there anyway to adjust the settings to help speed it up ? Maybe it's just me but i have a good processor and graphics card and 2 gb ram..Does tend to spoil some missions for me.

Yes you are not only the one with slowdowns in this area. ;)

The scene is quite heavy and demanding on some views. The 1.1 upwards improved version of the map has some optimizations which may grant a few more fps (but it stays demanding). Regarding settings i dont know, perhaps you can lower your graphics settings which would certainly speed it up, but thats a mod related thing.

Edited by jysk

Thanks jysk. Won't change my rating in any way when I finish it. Certainly my sort of mission! It is a shame though that this factor seems to hold Dark Mod back on some missions where there are lots of open doors , open spaces and torches or somesuch , at least for me anyway. The equally excellent Return to the City and Siege Shop (vs 1 ) gave me the same problems. I seem to remember Biker giving a few hints on settings then , but fool that i am can't remember them! Would be great if this was smoothed out by some DM wizard in the future.

It is a shame though that this factor seems to hold Dark Mod back on some missions where there are lots of open doors Would be great if this was smoothed out by some DM wizard in the future.

On performance demanding missions mappers can (and should) consider setting the doors so that they do auto-close after some time - specially with wide open spaces. (see Biker's Alberic's Curse). That may not realistic but helps reduce the slow downs if the doors have been portaled. If a mapper didn't do set doors to auto close, closing the doors as much as possible as a player.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying