The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: In remembrance of him (by RPGista)

RPGista

Its most likely about the areas where its so datk theres no ambient light level (pitch black). That was obviously intentional, but its not something people are used to seeing in other tdm maps (if any).

I'm very late to the party and only played your mission yesterday. And while I appreciate the effect you wanted to achieve in the crypt and also that we couldn't have a lantern with us because of it, it's very easy to get completely stuck there after you killed the zombie if you extinguished all candles before as I normally do just out of routine ;). I expected some light to be turned on in the crypt after the zombie was killed and if you ever update this mission I think you should in fact do so. Another solution would be to provide an unextinguishable light source, maybe on the altar or somewhere nearby...

Edited by wesp5
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I've been trying to play this mission since it first came out, and I get stuck at the same place every time.  Right near the beginning, you break the door and go into the barn, up the stairs, and then jump over to a ledge with an openable door.  Through the door you're in a ruined building with a collapsed floor.  I can see across the room to where I believe I have to go, but I have never been able to actually get there.  It's so dark I can't see what I'm supposed to do. It's basically pitch black if you end up falling to the floor.  Every time, I jump randomly for a few minutes and give up.

If I could only see what I was doing, this looks like it could be an absolute blast, but as it is...

Can anyone give me a hand with this spot in the mission?  The one video playthrough I found was even darker than my screen, so no help there. 

4 hours ago, Hagatha said:

I've been trying to play this mission since it first came out, and I get stuck at the same place every time.  Right near the beginning, you break the door and go into the barn, up the stairs, and then jump over to a ledge with an openable door.  Through the door you're in a ruined building with a collapsed floor.  I can see across the room to where I believe I have to go, but I have never been able to actually get there.  It's so dark I can't see what I'm supposed to do. It's basically pitch black if you end up falling to the floor.  Every time, I jump randomly for a few minutes and give up.

If I could only see what I was doing, this looks like it could be an absolute blast, but as it is...

Can anyone give me a hand with this spot in the mission?  The one video playthrough I found was even darker than my screen, so no help there. 

Sorry for duplicating what I said in the other thread, but did you try the r_ambientMinLevel cvar?

@Hagatha

When I played the mission I also tried to get past there to no avail, ended up noclipping past only to realise that you're not supposed to go this direction as it's a one-way path. I don't remember the correct route anymore unfortunately, but if I remember correctly you should look into some of the openable windows.

• 1 year later...

Just replayed this one. It had the dubious honor of being the only TDM mission I actively disliked, for two reasons.

1. The insane darkness in some areas, and no reliable light source. It's like Thief 2 fan missions, where some authors have a completely wack idea of proper darkness levels.

Spoiler

2. The damn jumpscare in the crypt, like is that really necessary?

But now with the experience of all the available missions under my belt, I gave it another go. And it's not as bad as I remembered, I think. I recall being stuck in the first dark room (with the candle and statue trinket) for like an hour, and I'm not sure why, since you can just bash the door open. Could be I didn't realize it, or I just lost the candle, in which case you can't see anything. As for the spoiler, at least I was ready for it, but it's still obnoxious.

Other than that, I definitely explored a lot more this time around. Didn't know many of these areas even existed. As for the above discussion

On 7/4/2019 at 10:44 AM, Dragofer said:

@Hagatha

When I played the mission I also tried to get past there to no avail, ended up noclipping past only to realise that you're not supposed to go this direction as it's a one-way path. I don't remember the correct route anymore unfortunately, but if I remember correctly you should look into some of the openable windows.

You can go back the same way, it just takes a very precise jump/mantle. Maybe not intended, but it's doable. I only tried it, because I thought I had to go back to the beginning to end the mission, since I didn't read the objective. Ended up finding some other areas in the process.

Spoiler

Also, since I finished with roughly 500 loot short, there was still some stuff left to find. But unless there were secret objectives, I didn't have a whole lot of inspiration to continue. Already knocked out every NPC in the map. so I kind of yolo'd it anyway. The whole setup with the thugs and the friendly dudes before the hostile alley was awkward, the AI had some trouble fighting one another. And what was that Harry Potter novel of a readable in the church, that thing had like a thousand pages. I usually read everything I come across, but I had to give up there.

So, if nothing else, it gained some redemption for itself. It's still probably my least favorite mission, but it has more going for it than I gave it credit for. Probably not a great one for newcomers, though.

• Like 2

Me making noise above, drawing the priest down and towards to the zombie. He took care of him.

I also like to do this trick in other missions, to attract guards and zombies or skeletons together.

As in the Alchemist, the zombie in the closet, the consequence of lure the zombie out of the room to the hallway and the guards. 😁

Edited by Zerg Rush
  • Like 1

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

Oh yeah. having the AI beat each other up is one of my favorite things, although in the case of zombies, they are pretty easy to kill as is. Usually I just make the guards on the same team brawl each other. Or like in this mission, the good guys down the street fight the bad guys, although the AI had some trouble.

Edited by roygato
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Things I liked

* The run-down, partly broken architecture of the dwellings and surrounds gave the map a nice T1 vibe

* Jumping and mantling around was fun

* Really charming, yet bitter-sweet intro

* JUMP SCARE >:)

Things I didn't like so much

* Too many doors to be picked in the early part of the map

* Unclear where to go at times

* Pitch black ambient is annoying when you're trying to find a tiny pixel

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle