The Dark Mod Forums

Thread removed

Springheel

The "Internet Censorship" thread has (ironically) been removed by the request of the original poster.

I asked Spring to remove the thread because I forgot google have a crawler account on the forum and I didnt want the thread to stain the good name of the darkmod. And because despite asking for it to be done several times, google refused to remove the cached versions of the old post, so now the thread is gone, they have to comply etc.

Regarding why BlueSkyBullet got banned, it was because of comments he made in the thread.

And laslty why does google even have an account on the forum in the first place.

I'm guessing it's for the google spider to be able to track the posts. I personally use google to search posts sometimes, so I don't mind. Also I think it's very important for the general public to be able to search "Dark Mod" and have google links coming straight here, especially before perversely going anywhere else! At least they're offering a service for the information they grab, and it is in the interest of more transparency (info is only as good as you can find it).

The thing about forum threads is they do stick around. There are a lot of things I'd be fine talking about off the cuff in conversation but I wouldn't want it put in print, or in a thread where the topic is pretty "flammable" and the civil discourse part of it can get sidetracked, so it's understandable. A thread like that is better for something like IRC.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

you'll see the Google+ Tracker that's been implemented in the DarkMod forums.

IMHO its bad enough google has an account on here, but why on earth do we have google+ spidering the forum..? No-one use google+ its a failed attempt at a FB clone and I imagine most don't use FB either.

Nope. I'm not talking about buttons, but about the Google+ Tracker. You can't see it. It's there. As far as I can tell, It's the only tracker implemented here.

Well your Ghostery must be showing something different to mine, because I can only see the Google +1 button:

efrio.jpg

When people search for "Thief Mod" in Google, this site is at or the top of the results. Those spiders help promote this site and help you find TDM topics when the "forum search" is not finding the correct results...

Thus far, Google's behavior is a lot less scary than say... Oracle. If those companies ever merged we'd all be screwed though.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

My attitude to internet trackers and spiders is that if you are relying on other people volunteering not to track you (or being prevented by law), you are doing it wrong.

Activities on the public internet can and will be tracked. It is up to users to take measures to protect their privacy, such as disabling permanent storage of cookies, not searching for sensitive topics while being logged into Google/Bing/Yahoo with an account in their own name, not posting personal information on publicly-accessible websites, and so on.

And don't post anything on a forum unless you are happy for that content to be personally beamed into the heads of every living being on the planet, because there's nothing preventing that from happening once it's out there.

For reference, I recovered the post from the deleted thread that got Blueskybullet (aka Aidakeely aka Aprilsister) banned this time around, in case some people were wondering about it:

You fucking dimwit. This is well known. It's called The Dictatorship Of The Bourgeoisie. It's not "influencing". It's total control. And guess what? Many of the very people that have meticulosly pointed this out over the past century and more? Are (ethnic) Jews!

These, by the way are the first people that get taken down by the likes of the assholes that are feeding you the shit you are regurgitating all over the forum.

So you see you are going about it all wrong, dumbass. Rail against the very people who have been trying to tell you about the Dictatorship Of The Bourgeoisie all along; do that first. Demonize and kill them first...

Then, later, you go for the Jews just for being Jews, you goddamned idiotic Nazi mutherfucker.

This is a public forum.....Public.....forum. There is no expectation of privacy because it's public. It would be different if the forums were inaccessible until you registered but orb is right don't write anything if you don't want the whole world to see because it can...literally the entire world can see what is written on these forums. And it's about time that moron got banned and I don't mind the whole world knowing that.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I for one would prefer our forum to be private or not have a bloody google bot with its own account at the very least. I know people will say the mod needs the publicity, BUT after the year or so I have been part of the mod I haven't seen traffic increase or new members as a result of the forum being wide open.

Google doesn't register an account. Web browsers report a user agent string to the website. That's how a website knows which browser you are using. In Google's case it's user agent string is not "Firefox" or "IE", but something else. I don't know what they're using as a user agent string but the folks who write forum software do. This is how the forum knows when Google's web crawler is indexing the site.

Now, calm down. Everything is going to be okay. If you're that paranoid you probably should turn off your computer, unplug it, and throw it out the window.

Edited by rich_is_bored

I'd have thought the obvious as day reason for welcoming our new googlebot overlords is that someone googeling for something will be able to find it which will make them happy. Whether they lurk or become members hardly matters does it?

P.S - I think that's a bit over the top Rich. I find a Faraday Cage sufficient.

Edited by jay pettitt

Only tinfoil hats prevent the Orbital Mind Control Lasers so you guys must be under Their influence.

Those who still have your own and real thoughts...Trust no one here!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

If you're that paranoid you probably should turn off your computer, unplug it, and throw it out the window.

Why not? <_<

Nowadays, everyone got used to the spyware all over the internet (FB, G+, etc). You don't even care about it. But I do.

I thought this place is about stealth.