The Dark Mod Forums

A few questions...

wrichards

The pink texture you mention is most likely the caulk texture, which is rendered as invisible in game - try changing it to another texture and play test. Texturing patches is a science in itself sometimes, specially ligning several contorted patches together, so I would stick with the tutorial example for now. As Fidcal mentioned, patches only have one front face so if you see them from the behind they are invisible. In this case you can either rotate it or invert the matrix on the patch menu drop down (top bar). A good idea when working with patches is to select it and snap it to the grid (you might have to be in vertex edit mode, Im not sure), because sometimes it gets misplaced (when rotating or mirroring, for example), and that makes it impossible to line up with the rest of the geometry perfectly untill you snap it again.

BTW, nice start!

Edited by RPGista

ahhhh, ok today Ill try the matrix and move it around a bit, sorry for newbi questions I really try not to bother the forums untill ive exausted myself reading trying tutorials etc.....

im doing nothing but patches and bevels in a play room on simple brush just to get it in my head. Im also wondering if my video card ATI might be a problem as I read somewhere they might be glitchy. Ive bought a brand new comp for this editor (yea im pathetic I know but I LOVE this game so) it has a ATI 7570 1gb generic, ill swap it out if its a problem but so far loving the i7 3rd gen... anyway thanks for the responses, ill play with the tools a bit today. the tutorial on arches celings and T intersections blew my mind, so may posibilities with this editor.. again great job guys :)

I spent some serious hours this week trolling the forum... I am just in awe of what Im seeing and finding.... for one I cant believe that my old missions are still played. I would LOVE to try them again, Id like to know how and what it would take to play them. Them when I found the poll questions on top designers and saw Oblivion was mentioned, the shock was too much. I cant tell you what a feeling to know they carry on. THANK YOU ALL...

well I figured out tons this week arches, bevels, patches... OMG the possibilities, the SEED stuff is mind blowing. its almost too much to take in, I sat just thinking for hours of what I wanted to build, that lead me to the "inspirations" thread, DROOOOOOLLLLL, and to see that some of you live near around those places, too much to dream about...

I sat down and started to draw out from memory bear pits, tower of illusion and oblivion, my wife came over and peeked, I ran through the levels on paper telling her what was goin on in each room and such, I could NOT believe I remembered so much about them, but then again I guess the several 1000s x runnning through them tattooed them into my memory... it was such a kick to find screen shots of them in the "guess the mission" from screen shots.... just too cool...

anyway, question is, are the old missions playable on a modern system? if so how. Id realy like to run through them and save video footage. I called up some origional game play footage from youtube, wierd to see how through modern eyes how primitive they seem now, my memory of them was TONS more intense as compared to the reality of modern gameplay experience of modern engines....

anyway, again thanks and if its possible to load and run those old missions, Id love to know how....

I wonder what KFGecko is doing now, I met him once at comdex years back we shared Grobb on a stick from the star trek experience in las vegas... cool nice guy...

Thief 2 is definitely playable. Installing ddfix fixes the few things that are glitchy (like fog). I'm playing Gaetane's Black Frog right now, which she just released (actually I just got online because I needed a hint). I haven't played Thief 1 or its FMs in a while. Since it's on GOG so geared to work on modern systems, I imagine the FMs are still playable too.

What we have going on here at Dark Mod really is special IMO, including all those things you mentioned. It's only a wonder more people haven't realized just how special. I'd be hard pressed to think of any gaming community that's done as much cool stuff on our own initiative & with limited manpower as we have.

Edit: Looks like you've gotten the hang of building from your screenshot. I personally like building with DR, especially compared to Dromed... DR is a bit more stable and there's just so much you can do to build a cool scene, plus the fact the engine can crunch so many triangles, you can really afford to make some pretty scenery.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

260wvth.jpg

im still having trouble with textures but getting there.. rounding off corners the more I do the more I want to have them all rounded :( Ill have to choose whats important to the effects and what I can skid by with.. as long as you guys dont look too hard ;)

Edited by wrichards
  • Like 1

It's looking better! Lots of stuff strewn about like that makes it look really lived in.

(On the top beam of the wooden supports, the grain should go longways though.)

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Here's another mapping technique that is extremely easy to use once you know about it: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13338-newbie-mapper-tip-making-uneven-ground/page__hl__patches__fromsearch__1

nice, VERY nice :) I disected part of the St Lucia map as I really liked the way the road was done, over the weekend I worked with patches like that... I guess my thinking has to be expanded to alow the fact that the machines CAN handle alot more poly and such than I was used to... Thanks MUCHO Springheel.. you guys are flattening my learning curve quickly :)

I've been warping the walls floors, streets most anything that nature has a hand in after seeing thief 1 game play again comparing it to what this editor can do, I want as much random chaos as possible. Built the rest of this house last night general walls at least, I found it sooooo easy now, great editor, I'll finish it off soon and most likely use it as a mini mission. Now on to the meat, AIs triggers etc. Now its just a matter of the right texturs/lighting for mood and such... do have a question on re-sizing models, can't seem to find a way to scale them.....

I'm about half way through reading and digesting the new I questions thread, I noticed a section on patches an AI pa thing saying that the AIs and path on patches, is this still true? I'm really trying not to ask too many questions and trying to figure things out for myself, but some things haunt me, I've gone through most of the wikkis printed out about 100 pages of reference and such, its coming together, I didn't expect the resizing of models to be that much trouble, matrix and all, anyway total rethinking of what's possible, leaving behind the "old" thinking and opening up to new possibilities, man this editor is fantastic...

Sorry about the spelling pecking away on my tablet,

Edited by wrichards

I didn't expect the resizing of models to be that much trouble, matrix and all,

I would not recommend resizing models, i've seen it often that resizing doesn't scale the bounding box with it. So if the model is made larger it mays suddenly appear or disappear on your screen.

Couldn't sleep last night or should I say I was dream editing maps all night, and came up with a couple questions... is it possible to have a patch that seems solid, matches textures to brushes next to it but is no barrier to the player, ie. Able to walk through but seems solid I all visible ways? The other question is what if the player needed to obtain several objects, once gotten I want to add a new item to his inventory, and remove the previous items, I guess I don't ctualy have to remove them but add new item to to his inventory with key properties. kinda like he fashioned them into a new item, then that item I want to tag as a key of sorts.... I'm thinking the new item would have properties of a key but with not the key model.... I hope this makes sense... you probably know where I'm going with this :-)

Yup, you can make everything (patches, brushed and models) into nonsolid. Models via spawnarg "solid 0." parches and brushes need to be made into func_statics ans then solid 0.

Other question, could you use parts from this?

http://wiki.thedarkm...Loot#Loot_Cache

You just need to make it so that once item a, b and c are in inventory, you remove 'em and add the new item you have stored in the mission blueroom. That is, picking up item a, b and c increments the counter. Once the counter hits 3, you remove a,b and c and give mystery item X.

You could even involve a workbench: the player has to drop the items on the workbench to increment the counters. Once all the stuff is there, the increment hits the magic number and *poof* you get the new item. Either the new item comes to the inventory, or the ingredient items are replaced with the product item. One could even do cheap-ass alchemy with this: a cauldron where you add the ingredients and you get some new concoction. Maybe the player can make home-made healing potions by collecting and combining the correct mushrooms from the forest.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.