The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

Pretty, and devoid of meaningful information.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

its garrett in the first video image he's got the eye scar, bow is a steampunk geared bow, the thing in his hand looks like sometype of flashbomb, and the lockpicking is with two lockpicks like in the 3rd thief game, its likely they've taken the most hated things in thief 3 and based the 4th game on that. Eidos got a lot of feedback from xbox players about likeing the ninja style in thief 3, and microsoft have probably leaned on eidos a lot to make a game that their players want.

Edited by stumpy

But what I really wanna know is, will we get a rocket launcher.

You mean, fire arrows? ^_^

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

The only thing I don't really agree with is the bow. Why does it have to be that weird? I mean, an ordinary bow is excellent for propelling arrows and other things of similar nature.

What's with the technology? Targeting system? Laser targeting? ... Auto-aim?

Oh! The game does have multiplayer... So maybe it needs aiming help because those thumbsticks are awfully difficult to aim with. ;)

Weird...

What is that thing with the rope? Is that a tripwire?

That bow-firing method (holding the arrow with your thumb down and elbow up) is one of the dumber things I've seen in a while.

the rope thing is a flask on a rope, either health potion or bomb, or oil, or something to dip the arrow in. Its the same thief all the way through as far as I can tell, and even with the long finger nails in the lockpicking scene its still the same person, and he pull's the string on the bow back with something already attached to the bow string at that point, looks like its a device to hold the arrow in place, looks like a metal thumb and finger. Slowed the video down to run at 1 frame every second, so instead of it being a 29 second clip its now 14 minutes long. Its filmed out of focus so its hard to see what is happening, but at the end the thief runs away from some guards and drops a flask containing some liquid in the path of the guards.

Anyway this is a cut scene. It might give you some ideas about how the game will look, but we can't be sure. I guess it can tell us something about the tools and bow.

I'm getting a vibe from this and the alleged leaked fuzzy screenshot that their color palette is more in the browns this time.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Like the necklace. Don't like the Bat-Bow.

I've said elsewhere, but the Thief 4 I'd like to see would be one where the tools are underpowered and require a bit of judgement and hand-eye coordination (and input) from the player to make them shine. I liked that the bow in T1 and T2 is underpowered. It leaves the player having to consider the arcing trajectory and judge how high to aim and there's a natural gameplay mechanic where difficulty ratchets up with distance. As a consequence, pulling off a trickyish long shot was that much more satisfying.

So yeah, an uber bow that could be straight out of the Avengers Movie (or Crysis for that matter) (+every fashion in game making over the last decade) kinda feels like Thiaf is probably going backwards for me on several different levels.

Whatever, I'm probably just grumpy. I guess we'll find out if this thing ever makes it out of vapourware limbo.

Besides. The question for us is how does TDM keep pace. My vote is for dual wielding compound bows.

yeah, that is impossible, maybe the animator didn't think it through enough. or maybe they did and someone on the design team got them to change the angle of the hand, cos the hand should be the other way up else you cant pull, plus you would pull the string to your mouth to sight down the arrow at full pull.

Although the video could just be complete cgi and not actually match gameplay, like thief:the dark project main video, there was a shot of Garrett shooting a guard in that, then in actual game play on expert you couldn't shoot the guards. Although I hope they havent been getting tips from the new splinter cell game or assassins creed 3 and incorporating them into thief 4.

Edited by stumpy

I read a report from TTLG that there's an "online" component. Hoping that means coop is possible, which would make T4 really stand out from the pack in a welcome way IMO. But then if they meant coop they probably would have said that instead of "online" part.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What is that thing with the rope? Is that a tripwire?

isn't it just the lantern with shade? it looks quite hightech but I always wondered how garett was traveling with a fire lantern that he can completly hide in the dark while it is still burning...

edit: the video looks cool but how does that relate to gameplay? and if they would make garett looks more garett-ish and less ninja that would be much better

Edited by elwing

My bet is "we give you half the game now for full price, and if you are the original buyer, you are entitled to give us more money for some useless extras, or vital parts of the game. If you are a second-hand buyer, well, screw you." Aka the "DLC money grab scheme". Business people have nicer words for it, but the principle stays the same.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

yeah, that is impossible, maybe the animator didn't think it through enough. or maybe they did and someone on the design team got them to change the angle of the hand, cos the hand should be the other way up else you cant pull, plus you would pull the string to your mouth to sight down the arrow at full pull.

Although the video could just be complete cgi and not actually match gameplay...

http://www.rockpaper...f-4-screenshot/

--edit-- Could this somehow make it easier/look cooler to view/aim over the shoulder 3rd person? Like, ya know, Splinter Cell?

Edited by jay pettitt