The Dark Mod Forums

Fresh Thief 4 cinematic

Outlooker

"We're now trying to make him appeal more to modern audiences."

"He's now doing the more action move."

"With the-a main character from the Joker and the Crow, this all inspiration."

We wanted to bring in more for the modern audience of today's console market is now in the game doing more action move and that's how we wanted the costume and the suit to reflect that. In the beginning it was kinda more gothic, we turned down all the things that feels gothic. For example black nails and things like that, we don't have that anymore. We wanted to make him a bit more mainstream on that but yes so dark character but we don't want to say that he is a gothic one and things even though the victorian period feels really gothic
It was my role to art direct the team that was working on Altair, same thing that I did with Garrett. Both were character that can often feel -intelligible- we had to make them more actiony figure. Make them stand out in a crowd of NPCs when he needs to stand in the rows at the market and that people would often say oh he's too white he is too black he is standing too much but that's a good thing he needs to stand out when he is in a crowd.

Welp, so much for Garrett, then. RIP, Thief dude. :rolleyes:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Reading these quotes I wonder if the developers have ever played a Thief game? <_<

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Maybe they should give him a red hat. :D

Maybe they should give him a red hat. :D

With little bells! :rolleyes:

Really. I know fans overreact, and we are all fans. But this? This crap shouldn't be happening.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

What a luck there is TDM. :smile:

With little bells! :rolleyes:

Really. I know fans overreact, and we are all fans. But this? This crap shouldn't be happening.

I agree that the presented quotes sound very empty headed. But worry not. That may be beneficial for us. When DXHR touched stealth gameplay, there was small interest that leaked over TDM as well. If Thi4f touches stealth gameplay... regardless of its success or failure, it will also bring some free attention to us as well. Media will write "hey, folks, T4 is just the hottest new game right now, check this free game that just recently went standalone, which is very similar to original GOOD Thief games..."

I think we will win prestige. If the T4 devs fail to satisfy the stealth genre with their silly actiony characters, we will win even more.

I love playing in the team that will eventually win regardless what happens.

• Like 3

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Reading these quotes I wonder if the developers have ever played a Thief game? <_<

No, dey hav played de Teef gemme.

Seriously though, based on screenshots its pretty much already 100% confirmed that there are QTE takedowns even on the frontside of the AI. RIP stealth. Also, I hate what they did with Garrett, and I'm pretty sure they're not using Stephen Russell... the only garrett quote we got so far was text... and I didn't even like it.

I smell failure.

I'm just going to set my expectations really low then I'll have less of a chance to be dissapointed. Worse case scenario it will be like Dishonored and Garrett can do ninja moves and use Keeper magic. If they do that I hope they give you the option of ignoring all that crap let you play the entire game using stealth like in Dishonored.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

The amount of "experimenting" definitely erodes my confidence that they know what they're doing.

This quote: "I can assure you we're huge fans of the original games and we've done our homework to create a game that maintains the essence of the original," would mean a lot more if we didn't hear things like, "at one point there were so many single to third person transitions that players got nauseous" or "Our early design went a LOT more gothic - with black nails etc".

If they're "huge fans" of the originals, then why experiment with things that would completely destroy the feel of the originals?

I'm not even sure this can be all blamed on the developers. I mean, there purpose is maybe really to create an outstanding game in the tradition of the Thief series in an artistical point of view. On the other side, Looking Glass has done this and we all know what happened to them.

So I guess it's more like the publishers wanting them to say such funny things that, on the one side ensure the old fans that this game will stick to its roots and on the other hand provides a lot "cool, new, never-seen-before" features to attract new consuments.

I guess this is what happens when money meets art. :blush:

• Like 1

@Melan: I just want to say that the artistical demand of the guys working on todays games hasn't changed, but the pressure they get from the developers. This is only my personal opinion, obviously. But as we can see here (with the people contributing to this mod), people who do mapping, coding, modelling or whatever else consider themselves as artists, not as economists who want to get the higest amount of money out of their work.

But maybe this is just my very, very personal point of view.

Interestingly, LGS's demise turns out to be not quite as thought.

I just listened to that myself a few days ago. For those that don't want to listen to the whole thing, the punchline is Lgs's owners got bought out by a giant military software company that saw lgs as deadweight having nothing to do with their business, it was just breaking even on the whole, & they thought they'd only get money from it by an asset sale, which came very quickly afterwards.

It could have kept going -- it was profitable enough, it wasn't in the red -- if it had the right backing that tolerated its lowish margins, i.e., if the status quo would have lasted longer. ashame the new owners didn't see the big picture of how much lgs was innovating the industry, but in fairness it wasn't their job to... It's just too bad lgs got blindsided into that situation; bad luck really.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

jay pettit: Thanks! I didn't know anything about this - the earlier accounts mentioned cash flow issues, but it might have been someone's guess. But yeah, the point that Thief was a commercially successful game stands.

These points gave me hope, though

Really?

Fighting against four or more guards in combat won't go well

Navigation beacon shows players where to go

Focus lights up the screen and highlights pipes you can climb + candles you can put out

Can upgrade Focus

Use Focus while pickpocketing to slow time

Focus will show a number of attack points on enemies

Can also string together a number of points to perform a more debilitating attack

The staff experimented with featuring a new character, making it a third-person game

"At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick."

:unsure:

"At one point in development, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick."

Bwahahahahaha! :laugh:

Those guys are flailing in the dark. In a room full of rat-traps and out-dated explosives.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

On the plus side:

I don't know how I never heard of this mod before. but with all the coverage about the new Thief game I saw someone mentioning this and decided to give it a try. Now i'm having my daily stealth fix and experiencing the old thief playstyle (with nice improvements) again thanks to this. Now I'm going to play ALL the fan missions and download the darkradiant editor to contribute with my own missions as well.
  • Like 2

Any company can send any C&D letter they want, but they wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on here. And it would be a pretty stupid PR move to attack the fans of the very game you're about to release.

On the plus side:

I don't know how I never heard of this mod before. but with all the coverage about the new Thief game I saw someone mentioning this and decided to give it a try. Now i'm having my daily stealth fix and experiencing the old thief playstyle (with nice improvements) again thanks to this. Now I'm going to play ALL the fan missions and download the darkradiant editor to contribute with my own missions as well.

I'm the one who wrote that. Nice to meet you guys in this shadowy corner of the internet. I'm reading the A - Z Beginner guide to get the hang of the darkradiant editor and start doing my own fan missions too.

• Like 3