The Dark Mod Forums

Is TTLG down ?

vecuccio

They are having DNS issues.

Add:

74.208.213.90 www.ttlg.com

to your host file...

"The DNS has problems. Start notepad (in administrator mode if you're on Vista or Windows 7) and edit the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. Add the line:

74.208.213.90 www.ttlg.com

Save and try again. It's not a great solution, but it does work"

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The DNS has problems.

What causes this kind of thing? I've noticed my own website is not available right now either.

I asked and the answer I got was the storms in Virginia.

Edit: More specifically, according to Al_B: "When something knocks out connection to the server (storms in this case) it stops name lookups from working."

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Welcome to the Cloud[tm], where everything is in one central place, neat and tidy, and everything fails at once together. :)

• Like 1

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Welcome to the Cloud[tm], where everything is in one central place, neat and tidy, and everything fails at once together. :)

Kind of ironic since this was exactly the problem that the internet was designed to avoid (over the old billboard system, where you're literally calling another computer).

Also reminds me my friend once worked checking tech security, and in one company they had a second server in a room exactly above the first, same position and everything, and she thought ... uh, if something is going to kill the first one, that's sort of a stupid place to put the second one.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'm not enough of a techie to have any insight into this, but can anyone think of a reason why my site (www.mindplaces.com) gets a "Server not found" error when trying to connect with a webbrowser, but I can still connect to it though a ftp? It's on the same server as thedarkmod.com, which is working fine.

Whenever my colleagues bring up the idea of putting our stuff on The Cloud™, I warn them of a similar situation. Surprise, surprise! :cool:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'm not enough of a techie to have any insight into this, but can anyone think of a reason why my site (www.mindplaces.com) gets a "Server not found" error when trying to connect with a webbrowser, but I can still connect to it though a ftp? It's on the same server as thedarkmod.com, which is working fine.

Sometimes that sort of problem can be caused by the .htaccess file having the wrong settings. The proper settings differ with different hosts, server configuration, available software versions (php 4 and php 5 for instance) and content management software, so it's not always easy to give a one size fits all solution - but google is your friend.

Kind of ironic since this was exactly the problem that the internet was designed to avoid (over the old billboard system, where you're literally calling another computer).

Well, the "internet" is lots of interconnected networks. The "cloud" stuff is multiple (if you are lucky more than 2) central hosting places from one central entity. If it fails, it fails spectaculary... compare this to a single hoster going down - even if they host million domains this is just a very itsy bitsy tiny weeny bit of the internet. But imagine that api.google.com goes down - it would take down every webpage that includes a link to jquery hosted at google - which might easily be 80% of the most important webpages....

Also reminds me my friend once worked checking tech security, and in one company they had a second server in a room exactly above the first, same position and everything, and she thought ... uh, if something is going to kill the first one, that's sort of a stupid place to put the second one.

Depends. A hot-standby or a cold-standby in the same location is already much better than no standby - if the harddrive fails, what are you gonna do on a Sunday, order one from Amazon? :)

A standby in a different location is of course better, but things can also get expensive very fast. Do you really want to spend 50K just to avoid that your small webpage is not not available for 2 hours?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

This was a company and it had two other locations in the neighborhood, and in that one building IIRC like 4 floors with a few dozen rooms... They could have put the standby anywhere in any of those places. I think that was the joke of it... Out of all those places, they put it exactly above the first, in an earthquake prone region to boot, and she said she laughed out loud when she walked in and saw it there of all places -- and then they asked if that was the safest place for it, and my friend had to reply, actually that's next to the worst place, maybe just a notch above putting it literally next to the primary. Well it was funny when she told the story.

I thought it had been blocked due to it being listed on several malware sites as being a bad site. might just be listed as a bad site due to their resident troll having irked someone visiting the site and that person reporting the site as a bad site.

Well, the "internet" is lots of interconnected networks. The "cloud" stuff is multiple (if you are lucky more than 2) central hosting places from one central entity. If it fails, it fails spectaculary... compare this to a single hoster going down - even if they host million domains this is just a very itsy bitsy tiny weeny bit of the internet. But imagine that api.google.com goes down - it would take down every webpage that includes a link to jquery hosted at google - which might easily be 80% of the most important webpages....

It's possible to have a global dns server which routinely (up to once a minute) checks the availability of two different data centres and switches over in the case of a failure. We trialled this where I work and it works pretty well, definitely useful when used to support a service hosted with two cloud providers. I'm sure that google and amazon will do something similar to minimise downtime.

Yeah it was just the problem that that Virginia storm knocked out power over a massive area, so you'd want your backup center ideally in a totally different town, but like he was saying that could be pricey -- although maybe worth it for sites like Amazon & Google.

Reporting to whom?

At first I was thinking he was thinking about sites like Web of Trust, but they don't call the ISP to shut a site down, only give a red or green rating. Firefox does block sites that I assume get reported to it as malware sites (anyway I've seen sites blocked for it; happened to Zedo's Hardwar forum once on Firefox, but not IE8. It used to host a pirated game, maybe it was that; though it might not have even been the pirating, but the installer may have toyed with the registry so triggered as malware on some scan?), but then the screen turns black clearly says in red text "This site has been reported for malware and has been blocked for your protection...".

The only other thing I could think of is if someone reports to some organization that actually goes after the ISPs to shut them down, like saying it hosts something that violates IP or is illegal, but then you either get a 404 or the ISP puts up some text like "If you are the owner of this site, please contact...".

Anyway, there are things out there that are in the neighborhood of his wild guess, but as it turns out it was just a power out from the storms.