The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

Hm, yeah, we should really fix this limitation, as it makes physics some sort of weird second-reality. Adding another physics engine is likely not possible (noone there to do it), but maybe we can sort of raise the limit on CMs, or allow "glueing together" of CMs so you can have at least concaves.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

can't it have more than one object? like two cubes?

I experimented with this a few years back. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it was unstable enough not to use it.

Ok, so I just need to have the CM mesh there, give it the texture, and it's already working when in game?

Also, if I were to test this, how would I go about making a model into a moveable entity AND a proper weapon with damage levels, speed, etc? This page is titled how to add new weapons to AI but there's no other info than how to attach different, existing weapons to characters by changing and arg (http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Adding_Heads_and_Weapons_to_AI).

Ok, so I just need to have the CM mesh there, give it the texture, and it's already working when in game?

You have to make an entity for it if you want it to be a movable (or weapon). Making a movable isn't too difficult...I'd just look for the movable hammer def in movable_weapons.def and copy most of the values. Making it usable as a weapon is a bit trickier. One of the first things you'd want to do is make sure the origin and orientation matches existing weapons, otherwise finding suitable attachment values is going to be a bitch.

Once you've done that, you might be able to just copy the values for one of the existing weapons that already works, like the builder hammer or spiked club.

Something like this would work:

entityDef atdm:moveable_weapon_axe_rustic

{

"inherit" "atdm:moveable_weapon_base"

"model" "models/darkmod/weapons/axe_rustic.lwo"

"mass" "12"

"friction" "0.2"

"bouncyness" "0.03"

"snd_bounce" "tdm_impact_hammer"

//use "draw from back animation" instead

"replace_anim_draw" "draw_hammer"

"replace_anim_sheath" "sheathe_hammer"

"replace_anim_run RightHand" "run_charge" // grayman #3074 - only replace when the weapon is held

"attacks_allowed" "0 1 2" // no thrust attack

"replace_anim_search1 RightHand" "search1_sword" // grayman #3074 - only replace when the weapon is held

}

• Like 1

Much of that is self-explanatory, but feel free to ask about the stuff that isn't.

Just a quick question:

From my experiments, the silver texture seems to be the most "shiny", but it is still quite a matte finish to it, like a finely brushed surface. I was wondering if we have any chrome material (polished steel), and if not, how to make them (or better yet, find somewhere in a texture pack)?

PS: Already checked out Requiem AA and Wulfen's packs, didnt seem to find any.

Edited by RPGista

It's not easy to make good shiny metal in D3...you need to experiment with fancy speculars and cubemap reflections and things. I'll let the texture experts chime in.

To fake reflections you use a cube map and the texgen keyword in your material shader.

The trouble with this however is that it's not a true reflection so it won't look appropriate in every scene. That's why in nearly every instance where cube maps are used the effect is very subtle.

A nice addition to the engine now that we have the source would be dynamic cube maps as seen in Halflife 2. We could make it a function of info_location entities to capture an environment shot and interpolate between them based on the player's relative position. This way you could reference an internal image, in this case perhaps _reflection, and the cube map would match up with the local environment.

Thanks. Nothing major will be needed in this case, any simple refraction effect would do (no need for mirror like properties), as the object is just a polished steel hammer head. If you guys can think of an existing material, let me know (any basic one is ok), otherwise I will try to figure out how to implement it. The rusty metal head is already done, by the way (for thugs and guards). Wanted something different for a knight's hammer, but the silver material should do it also.

Edited by RPGista

After much testing, was finally able to make the diffuse, normal and specular speak the same language:

render02j.jpg

EDIT: Decided to make the normal very subtle, tweaked the specular with highlights on the edges, and worked on the smoothing groups for coplanar surfaces. I prefer it like this.

render03.jpg

This is the worn hammer version. It is still "plastic-ish" and the normal is a bit rough, the diffuse itself could possibly do with more contrast, but I will probably just let this go and try it tomorrow in game (the whole making it an entity thing) - this is a preview from modo, have to check if Doom 3 will render it differently.

PS: It is in the same coords as an existing weapon (normal builder hammer), and it was resized in comparison to it, so it should in theory be ok for AI use (after I make it an entity).

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 4

Mr. Trotsky would approve of this one!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks guys; and yes, you wouldnt want one of these damn things anywhere near your head! Havent had a chance to put it in the game yet, but I'll probably start working on the polished, ornate version anyway (better quality wood and fine metal), as Im in the "texturing" mode. That one is hopefully going to be useful for builders too.

Edited by RPGista

As I feared (had noticed that on previous models), Doom's renderer is a lot different than Modo's so i had to spend quite a while correcting the textures - wasnt able to make it 100% as intended, but I guess it's working, so that's something. It is still a static model, with collision and shadow, but not a moveable entity yet. Tried to crank up the visuals to the max in the laptop, it's very hard to get close enough to the model to be able to see them in detail.

61122442.jpg

Some more pictures below:

51209691.jpg

18937235.jpg

68940084.jpg

74487428.jpg

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

Very impressive!

Making them a movable entity isn't difficult--just a matter of making an entitydef. I could put that together if you like, though you might want to learn how to do it if you plan to do a lot of them.

@ Grayman - Appearently those hammers were used mostly by knights on horseback, so no point in running, I'm afraid. :)

So I was following some of the issues faced by Greebo's cool zombie, I dont know how easy they would be to solve or not, I wasn't going to mention this anytime soon as it was still early WIP, but I was working on a zombie model of my own a couple of days ago (now that I think of it, perhaps I've been way too distracted lately with 3d modeling!):

zombie01.jpg

zombie02.jpg

It is a modified base mesh (to look decayed), with the head being completely modelled by me in sculptris (thats why it is triangulated, but I can still come up with the quad version for the rest of the body). Its around 3200 tris right now. I dont know how useful this would be "as is", I know nothing about skeletons, weighting and the such, in fact, I dont think I would be able to advance the model in any other meaningful way in the foreseeable future (as I dont know how to create bump maps or textures for this type of thing, and the highpoly sculpt of it that is needed), but if the base mesh seems useful, and someone thinks they can take it the rest of the way, I can upload it somewhere.

Edited by RPGista

I like how it looks in the game - worn, but functional. Just the right amount of detail.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved