The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

Ha, you guys overestimate my abilities! Im far from being able to make a fully functional character model, those things are insane work. Though after a long time off of modeling, I have taken an interest in sculpting and animation again recently, so who knows, maybe in the future. I did find this sweet Human Maker program that seems to create animation ready human models, which would be a huge time saver... Anybody tried it (arcturus)?

Anyways, new characters would definitely be great. But for now, Im just gonna finish a couple more humble coin models. Looking around the laptop I found some initial work done on a medical tool kit from maybe last year, I will probably finish them as well, they would look cool in horror missions.

Edited by RPGista

Howsabout some masks that the AI could wear?

https://helenacc.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/theater-masks.jpg

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/incoldmirrors/media/CrimsonVictorian.jpg.html

http://media.infobarrel.com/media/image/47026_max.jpg

I was once thinking of making a masked party FM, but there was no masks. Just two models with a bunch of different colored skins would do a lot. In golden color, the theater masks would make some nice loot items, too.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I noticed there was a head prop for a doctor mask but I could never figure out how to get it on an AI

Is it possible for them to wear masks just by attaching it to their head? And has anyone got the doctor mask working before?

From Samhain Night's .map file:

// entity 649
{
"classname" "func_static"
"name" "func_static_360"
"bind" "atdm_ai_townsfolk_wench_1"
"bindToJoint" "head"
"model" "models/darkmod/wearables/headgear/plaguemask.lwo"
"origin" "-1516.38 597.75 -1418.12"
"rotation" "0.532902 -0.846149 0.00690436 0.844657 0.531438 -0.0642541 0.050699 0.0400728 0.99791"
}
// entity 650
{
"classname" "func_static"
"name" "func_static_361"
"bind" "atdm_ai_pagan_common_2"
"bindToJoint" "head"
"model" "models/darkmod/wearables/headgear/plaguemask.lwo"
"origin" "-1555.12 562.125 -1416.88"
"rotation" "-0.965775 -0.259287 0.0069047 0.25833 -0.963918 -0.0642537 0.0233154 -0.0602711 0.99791"
}
Edit: on the subject of masks as loot, here's a reskinned wall mask:

post-35144-0-70555500-1427228324.png

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Is that separate wall mask a core asset?

@Goldwell, yes, you can attach the mask on AI. You put

bind AIname

bindToJoin head

solid 0 (optional if you don't want the object to block headshots)

on the headgear.

And then need to carefully place it on the AI. Placement is a bit time consuming as you need to do some trial and error iterations to get it right. (Move mask, go in game, see if it is in correct position, go back in DR, move mask again... until the mask is correctly aligned.) It is really slow at first, but gets faster as you get the hang of it. I usually make a small testmap where I place the props (faster loading than you actual map) and then when the alignment is correct, copy the AI+headgear into the actual map.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Is that separate wall mask a core asset?

It's the regular wall mask with the plaque skinned as nodraw.

skin mask_loot {
	model models/darkmod/decorative/wall/mounted_mask01.lwo
	textures/darkmod/metal/flat/copper_dirty textures/darkmod/metal/flat/gold01
	tdm_boar_mount textures/common/nodraw
}
Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

Hi guys,

I also like the idea of masks and would like to try and model one. Sadly I am quite new to modelling, I have only finished one Blender-tutorial, so it will take some time (if I succeed at all). When I finish the model in blender, I will also need some help converting the model, that it can be used in DR, but I will come back to you then.

• Like 1

I have started working on a mask in blender and it works better than I thought. But I have noticed a problem: I have no idea, what dimension my mask has. Also, I do not know how good or bad the mask fits onto a NPC. Is there a way to import a head, so that I can design the mask "on it"?

But I have to ask for help from some kind soul who would volunteer to make them game-ready for me.

The thing is, I dont have access to a TDM installed machine right now and have no means of testing the models ingame, which is crucial for making those last adjustments before release. I could provide the models and texture files (including the layered files for editing), but I would indeed need someone with a little experience in making models game-ready so they could be tested and ultimately packaged for the community.

If anyone is interested in this joyless, repetitive job (joking, its not that bad really), you could send me a PM. As an alternative, I could simply realease the models as-is and the mission author could go through the process for the ones they want to use.

Not on my current machine, no... Still, its not a lot of work at all. Once you have the model as an ASE file, all you need to do is bring the textures to your project's folders, create a material for them, and go inside the ASE (its a text file) so you can manually paste the paths for each of the meshes' respective materials (it will come with the original pathing for each texture, you have to paste the pathing for the corresponding texture in the TDM folder instead).

This done, any further change to specular levels, normals or even diffuse (easy stuff like contrast, saturation, etc) could be done directly on the image files inside the project, and the model will be updated next time you open the game/dr.

Edited by RPGista

But I have to ask for help from some kind soul who would volunteer to make them game-ready for me.

The thing is, I dont have access to a TDM installed machine right now and have no means of testing the models ingame, which is crucial for making those last adjustments before release. I could provide the models and texture files (including the layered files for editing), but I would indeed need someone with a little experience in making models game-ready so they could be tested and ultimately packaged for the community.

If anyone is interested in this joyless, repetitive job (joking, its not that bad really), you could send me a PM. As an alternative, I could simply realease the models as-is and the mission author could go through the process for the ones they want to use.

I have one and a half week of from tomorrow on. So if you have uploaded it and point me to it (link or names on svn) I could take a look.

Getting models into TDM isn't a big deal normally as long as the files are in the correct format (something the engine can read). Entities, like loot or moveables, require a bit more work, but aren'T hard to do either.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Hey, thats great Obs, thanks. Yeah, I'll upload all the necessary files, I just need to make sure the ASE exporter in blender is working propoerly before I can do that. I'll let you know. ;)

• 1 month later...

Ah, I know I've forgotten something. Will finish it asap. :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter