The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

Ooo those med tools are beautiful

Edited by NeonsStyle

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

They look great!

A mapper can set any model up as a moveable, so don't worry about that.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work.

If the builders get a hold of this thing they will probably just take it down or carve a hammer on it and call it theirs from then on.

They would probably just crush it. ;) Makes me think that it would be nice to have broken versions of those (if it isn't too much work).

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Thanks my friend. Actually thats a pretty good idea, Ive been meaning to learn arcturus' tutorial on fracturing models, would be a good excuse to finally do it. Will work on it.

• Like 3

Okay my boys, time to dig out the old thread and share some of the models I had lying around, thought I should get them out finally.

Im releasing the medical tools I started modeling a while ago. Its a varied set:

4 kinds of needles;

2 operating hooks;

1 (ice)pick;

1 saw;

2 scalpels;

3 scissors.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to make them moveable entities. They all possess a collision box, however, so it should be simple enough, I just cant get it to work for some reason, something is missing in my defs or pathing and I cant really remember how to set it up correctly. So Im only releasing the fixed models version. They are all ready for being included in maps.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2o55we

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.55.34.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.19.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.56.26.jpg

attachicon.giftestingmap_2017-05-19_20.58.11.jpg

They look very nice indeed.

About movables, are you sure the def file is well formatted? Does the dynamic physics hull has less then 16 polys? Is a requirement, btw imo is a really bad limitation from the physics engine.

Thanks man. As for the moveables, I simply wasnt getting them to appear on DR, so there was something broken with my setup. I used the warhammer model I had done before as reference, but something was off, and I had no patience to look into it any further. Demagogue reminded me a mapper can turn any model into a moveable entity inside DR though, so that takes care of it (I did that myself in my own mission with a wood box, many moons ago). They do have collision boxes, simple 6 sided boxes, so it isnt that.

Edited by RPGista

Oooo really feeling those stones. I can just see a clearing through the trees at night, mushroom lights, with some fireflies flying around, lots of birds and

forest sounds.

• Like 1

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

About movables, are you sure the def file is well formatted? Does the dynamic physics hull has less then 16 polys? Is a requirement, btw imo is a really bad limitation from the physics engine.

@The team, is there any reason why these arent part of the core mod...?

• Like 1

Thanks man. As for the moveables, I simply wasnt getting them to appear on DR, so there was something broken with my setup. I used the warhammer model I had done before as reference, but something was off, and I had no patience to look into it any further. Demagogue reminded me a mapper can turn any model into a moveable entity inside DR though, so that takes care of it (I did that myself in my own mission with a wood box, many moons ago). They do have collision boxes, simple 6 sided boxes, so it isnt that.

I never made a movable using DR I did it on Modo (my 3D tool of choice), bellow is what i did that worked, I'm sure being a 3D modeler your self (and a very good one) you know all of this but perhaps you forgot something.

MODO side:

1 - Made a collision hull around the object, trying to be as faithful to the object shape the most i could, without going above 16 triangles (you can go above, i went as far as 24 triangles but it will crash the game eventually, afaik idsoftware never went above 16 triangles on all its movables collision hulls).

2 - assign the green collision material to this collision hull.

3 - Make sure the collision hull (shadow mesh, etc) makes part of the original model layer (idtech 4 requires the model to be a single layer object)

5 - triangulate the model, make sure the object transforms/origin is at 0 0 0 and export to the engine ( in my case Modo only supports .lwo ).

idTech 4 side:

write a entityDef something like the one bellow, put it into a map and enjoy.

entityDef moveable_furniture_chair_thin01 {
	"inherit"					"moveable_base_fixed"
	"model"						"models/furniture/furniture_chair_thin01.lwo"
	"density"					"0.01"
	"friction"					"0.2"
	"bouncyness"				        "0.3"
}

And that is that is not complicated at all.

Edited by HMart
  • Like 1

Yeah, I remember doing something like that, was even trying to bring in stuff from other moveables like the saw and kitchen stuff (impact sound and the like)... Dont worry my friend, its just my slow, weary mind, its not that the process is that difficult or anything. I would though cynically invite you to team up with me and writte those defs if you want, the files are just there for you to grab and re-release, if you find the time. ;)

Right now Im working on that dolmen model, and some more forest assets for the mod.

Edited by RPGista

• 2 months later...

Cool idea! We are definitely lacking good statues, so even the unanimated model would be useful. If you can turn it into a working character, so much the better!

• 5 months later...

Nice looking statue!

@RPGista So I was scrolling through some of the other stuff on this thread and was wondering if you could reupload your pagan shrine model (as the link is dead). I'd love to take a look at it and maybe use it for my (very slow going) WIP