The Dark Mod Forums

idtech COOP Medieval/Fantasy/Stealth Universe projects

oneofthe8devilz

• 3 years later...

Venture Online PlayTest 2019 [idtech]

(click the image to watch the youtube video)

Venture.Online.PlayTest.2019.preview.jpg

ClientSide Online Playtest connected to a Dedicated Server testing fully operational FirstPerson and ThirdPerson Views and Animations replicated across the Network/Internet with the new hybrid idtech4 engine.

***Update***

For the people that find the lighting intensity in the video too strong I made this little comparison GIF animation which shows a few of many possible examples of how differently the game can be setup to look on the Client:

So if you don't like the Bloom... just change or disable it,

If you don't like the Depth of Field... just change or disable it,

If you don't like the HDR Rendering... just change or disable it,

If you don't like the SoftShadows... just change or disabled them,

If you'd like a different ColorGrading ... just set it ... etc etc etc

Example GIF showcase (click to open it)

http://www.scared-pixel-studios.com/public/images/venture/Venture.ClientSide.Visual.Settings.gif

Edited by oneofthe8devilz
  • Like 3

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

moddb or the SPS Homepage

I gotta say this is a triumph, my friend. The art direction is wonderful, all the light effects and lighting design on the level, everything is bumpy and theres a lot of detail and shadows moving, it all really plays with idtech's strengths. The hexen-like music and the heretic evil laugh when you get the item were perfect. The seamless transition from 3rd to 1st person view works really well, theres no break in immersion, and the thief3 guy fits right in in this game world. This is something really special, I hope you'll package your work as tdm did, as an organized asset pack with a mapper in mind, so a community can create many maps for your mod.

• Like 1

I gotta say this is a triumph, my friend. The art direction is wonderful, all the light effects and lighting design on the level, everything is bumpy and theres a lot of detail and shadows moving, it all really plays with idtech's strengths. The hexen-like music and the heretic evil laugh when you get the item were perfect. The seamless transition from 3rd to 1st person view works really well, theres no break in immersion, and the thief3 guy fits right in in this game world. This is something really special, I hope you'll package your work as tdm did, as an organized asset pack with a mapper in mind, so a community can create many maps for your mod.

Glad you like it... but as you see my client's rendering settings is not everyone's thing. And no matter how often I repeat that the visuals are completely customize-able to everyone's individual/personal liking, it seems to be something that often gets ignored or misunderstood by people that dislike my personal visual preference...

Maybe I should create an interactive demonstration in form of an animated GIF to showcase to people how unique and different the client can look with different clientside visual settings/configurations

Assets look fine, but jerky Garrett animations from TDS, erratic DOF, and lighting effects make the whole thing look more like hemeralopia simulator.

The jerky animations are partly caused by the fact that I have temporarily disabled Doom3's default IK system and partly by collisions with the smaller stone objects in the level. Once I re-enable the IK system and fine-tweak the level objects, navigation and animation playback around that map should become significantly smoother.

***Update***

I made this little comparison GIF animation which only shows a few examples of how differently the game can be setup to look on the Client:

http://www.scared-pixel-studios.com/public/images/venture/Venture.ClientSide.Visual.Settings.gif

• Like 1

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Yeah, thats pretty cool to have customization. Wouldnt worry much about people's tastes though. Badass to be walking around fighting monsters in a dungeon with the bow and arrow. Do you think its feasible to add some basic stealth elements to the formula, so you could hide if you leave a monsters cone of vision, or surprise them if you walk silently? That would add to the action for sure, could give a different feel from other mutiplayer scenarios. Great work going on man.

• Like 1

Well for now I guess I am planning to keep the stealth aspect in my projects as simplistic and multiplayer compatible as possible.

I am aware that The Dark Mod seems to have a very sophisticated AI & Lighting based stealth system but I doubt it has been written with co-op multiplayer in mind which likely will require some rewriting in order to make it compatible within a multiplayer environment.

The last thing I currently look for is to initiate another multi-team, multi-year and multi-thousand dollar project. It's just not feasible as a single person at this point in time.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

It's running on a server where all clients are seeing the same events, which is the foundation of a multiplayer coop game.

That's a big deal.

The gameplay and aesthetics you can tweak, but getting all the underlying systems to work and playable on a server is a nice accomplishment.

From what I understand of TDM's code, most systems weren't made with multiplayer in mind like he said.

I don't know how relevant this is, but systems act directly on $player1 (or whatever it was) all over the place, which is the local client, and I think if it were to be multiplayer, some of those systems would have to be re-tooled from the ground up to handle possible other clients causing events in the same world.

I've glanced at Tos's code for multiplayer Thief2 and got an idea of what goes into it.

Multiplayer coop for TDM has always been my #1 pipedream for the game, even above standalone and soft shadows and other things that we eventually got. But I don't have any illusions about the challenges. It's not impossible, but it'd take a lot of work for a long time by a very dedicated person or small team.

Nice to see this project getting somewhere with it though.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

It seems like I am unable to shake the toxic stalkers from the past...

I strongly would like to avoid re-igniting that useless drama/confrontation on a new site, especially seeing how this page seems to already have enough of their own drama going on.

It is obvious how those comments have no other intend but to start another conflict which is why I won't reply to such and if necessary will report them to the responsible moderators/admins.

I personally regard all my projects as common community efforts and upon public release of any of my projects I make sure I have permission of every single original creator of assets and code used in the project and also make sure everyone is being credited appropriately.

In the specific case of Venture, the project is still in an early phase with no public release yet available and all elements still being subject to change.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Are you joking? Nothing in this thread is toxic, it's just people bringing up good points and providing CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, something everyone needs if they truly care about making a great product. There is nothing wrong with someone pointing out the origins of where these textures or level architecture came from, and that goes double for someone providing feedback like saying the lighting is too damn bright (cause it is, parts of your video makes it look like I'm staring into the heart of a billion suns). And instead of addressing these issues head on you just shouted "toxic stalkers". If you didn't want this stuff commented on publicly, you probably shouldn't have posted it on the Internet. And if you did use someone's assets, textures, code, whatever else you should give credit where credit is due, regardless of whether they gave you express permission or not.

Are you joking? Nothing in this thread is toxic.

Exactly... and I would prefer to keep it that way. Obviously you are unaware of the common history that I and some of the recent posting users have on other sites.

And instead of addressing these issues head on...

...but as you see my client's rendering settings is not everyone's thing. And no matter how often I repeat that the visuals are completely customize-able to everyone's individual/personal liking, it seems to be something that often gets ignored or misunderstood by people that dislike my personal visual preference...

***Update***

I made this little comparison GIF animation which only shows a few examples of how differently the game can be setup to look on the Client:

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

It is obvious how those comments have no other intend but to start another conflict which is why I won't reply to such and if necessary will report them to the responsible moderators/admins.

If that's seriously the case then take sentences like the one quoted above and get them the hell out of here. I don't know what happened in the past, and I don't really care, but at this moment in time, in this particular thread, no one here has done anything to "start another conflict". Providing fair and constructive feedback is not starting a conflict, so don't start spouting off some bullshit about how people here are toxic and trying to re-ignite "useless drama". Maybe instead you should focus on addressing the concerns people have presented

Maybe instead you should focus on addressing the concerns people have presented

...but as you see my client's rendering settings is not everyone's thing. And no matter how often I repeat that the visuals are completely customize-able to everyone's individual/personal liking, it seems to be something that often gets ignored or misunderstood by people that dislike my personal visual preference...

***Update***

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Jeesh... Am I the only one getting tired of the whole routine of people who see themselves as consumers, posting about their "constructive criticism" (which is often simply subjective opinion), somehow demanding they be adressed by people who are actually doing things according to their own vision, in their own free time, with the skillsets they have? Im not necessarily talking about this thread in particular, though it seems to be starting to happen here as well. Its just something really widespread online that is becoming more and more grating to me as time goes by. Somebody posted some work, contributing something to the community. Not really your fancy? Yeah, whatever dude, nobody cares. Everyone's got their own opinions. No big deal. Wanna contribute some criticism, sure, do it in a cool, encouraging way. It would be much better to offer help, or make something yourself, because ths stuff takes a lot of work, even the most "noob" mapper or modder here puts a lot of work into what he is trying to do.

Seems to me this forum might be getting less and less creative and I dont see a lot of the regular contributors and maybe theres a reason for that.

• Like 3

This is not about consumerism, it's what happens when you post your stuff on the web, especially on a platform that enables interaction and feedback. If you don't like feedback, e.g. post your YT videos with comments blocked, or don't post on public forums. Demanding that feedback should be always be "cool and encouraging" is childish. If you take criticism as personal attack, or need constant patting on the back, then you're too insecure to take feedback anyway.

I often bounce my ideas and WIPs off different people, some of them awfully opinionated (more than me, as hard as it is to believe), and I am still able to filter out the "noise" (aka the stuff irrelevant to me, as I typically know what I like) to pick out things that can be useful and worth iterating upon. And even those opinionated types have valid points sometimes.

• Like 3

It's a shame you think this forum is getting less creative, I see a lot of very talented and incredibly creative people here today, especially after the several unique FMs have just been released in the past four months. And oneofthe8devils' project seems like it could certainly be great. I'm not questioning the hard work he put into it and I certainly don't doubt his talents. The thing that got to me was him saying that the people who are pointing out criticisms of his project want to start conflict and "useless drama". Sharing criticism, whether it is "cool" or opinionated, isn't toxic and it doesn't make you a "toxic stalker". Judith hit it on the nose: If you take criticism as personal attack, or need constant patting on the back, then you're too insecure to take feedback anyway.

Edited by Amadeus

I think he was mainly responding to Filizitas' comment "Take away everything you didnt create so we might see what you ACTUALLY did. I only see Blurry bright light and garret. And garret is definitly not yours.", which pretty much says "you did not do anything, but turn up the light" and has not the least constuctive part in the criticism.

• Like 3

Yeah, I figured that too, but even if Filizitas' comment was fairly harsh and certainly lacking... let's call it linguistic grace, I do think it was a fair thing to point out. I mean, I personally just assumed oneofthe8devils created that map and the character model and would have continued thinking that had LDAsh not pointed out the origin.

Oh boy it seems like we really have to do this... "sigh"

So lets address some points to hopefully shed some light into this and structure things up (I really wanted to avoid this cause all it is going to do is costing me time that I won't be able to invest into modding).

I am modder. It's what I have been doing for quite some time now with various game engines and to various degrees of project completion. A modder by definition is somebody who takes existing assets and/or code and modifies it into (hopefully) a new and interesting context which he (and eventually other players) enjoy to play.

Now let's take a look at what footage I recently have "shared" with the community that sparked this discussion:

Video Description:

Venture Online PlayTest 2019 [idtech]

=======================================

ClientSide Online Playtest connected to a Dedicated Server testing fully operational FirstPerson and ThirdPerson Views and Animations replicated across the Network/Internet with the new hybrid idtech4 engine.

At no point in time have I claimed to have been the original creator of the map or the assets shown in the video. It was strictly a showcase about multiplayer clientside network replication (a topic very dear to me as I personally consider multiplayer game development the supreme discipline within game development).

But it doesn't matter since again, I am a modder and my job is to put existing code and assets into new context and in the best case to create an (for me personally) enjoyable experience.

I produce several videos a day when I do modding related work to document the progress with the vast majority of those videos never getting publicly shared. Due to time constrains most of those videos contain very few (if any) details about the source art/code used especially when they are in a WIP unreleased project state with plenty of the assets & code still being subject to change.

Do I read the feedback in the community forums about the footage that I post ? Absolutely !

Does other people's feedback about my shared footage morally or legally oblige me to take it into consideration when working on my mod projects ? Absolutely not. I always have, am and will create mods for my personal satisfaction first and foremost. And even if you told me that the strong contrast in my footage melted away your retina and blinded you permanently I would probably shrug it off and ask why you kept watching it then in the first place...

You don't pay my time/work on the mod nor my monthly bills so your opinion's impact could be described as "mild" at best (especially when I quote users multiple times to the optional client setup showcase without getting even a response/reply to that).

The reason I share my work/footage with the community is because I firmly believe that I am not the only person longing for stealth-medieval-fantasy themed games WITH online cooperative multiplayer functionality.

I always gladly will answer questions (about asset origins for example) but in this specific case and in this specific thread since the question about the map origin was already self-answered before I was able to read and reply to the question there was no point in re-answering the already answered question.

Now about the "taking the drama with me from another community page":

This is the demented level of commenting I have to deal with on a regular basis on that page (I specifically picked a fresh and mild one to not give that person more attention than he/she desperately seems to seek from me):

Did someone just fart?! Oh hai oneofthe8devilz > :D

Hey, don't blame the mirror if you have a fucked up face.. People didn't leave - there was no people to begin with. This is an ancient tech that attracts only a few and in between. Everyone else moved on to other games and engines.

I stopped posting updates on those community forums for several years now but when I updated my thread about my project with this week's footage the same trolls crept up and started again instantly trash posting.

This is the plague that I wanted to avoid taking with me over to the TDS Forums because I witnessed how (also because of that constant trash/trolling drama) plenty of valuable users/modders left that community over the years basically leaving it a dead place of trolls.

Some of the toxic trolls from those diseased community forums I see now commenting in my thread here at the TDS forums (hence the wording "toxic stalkers").

I really hope this post contributes to explaining the entire background so that in case similar questions by other users come up again in the future I can then simply link to it while at the same time keeping the discussion content topic related.

• Like 1

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at