The Dark Mod Forums

idtech COOP Medieval/Fantasy/Stealth Universe projects

oneofthe8devilz

Then a simple look at Metacritic or VGchartz would provide much better insight. And while the Internet is full of asset flips noone pursues in court, it doesn't mean it's legal. Your work isn't covered by law, as you already broke the EULA point that is basically in any game, which forbids any disassembly, reverse engineering, any reuse or making derivative works without prior written permission of a copyright holder.

Okay then let's think this through for a moment.

If a gigantic corporation like Steam (a multi-billion-dollar company with an army of lawyers) lets something like GMOD (a commercial product that up to this day generates daily commercial income/sales) slide for more than a decade and officially provides those Steam WorkShops where such Copyright Protected content can be officially downloaded via the Steam Client, then why should an "Everyday-Joe-Modder" like me be concerned at all to face legal consequences for releasing a free of charge modification, having less than a thousandth or even a millionth of the internet exposure footprint compared to something like GMOD ?

I mean if that really is the case, we talk about probabilities here, where it would be significantly more likely that I could get fatally hit tomorrow by a car crossing the street (with my project being terminated/halted in the process) than me having to face legal action against me from a publisher and developer of a game that originally ceased to exist more than a decade ago.

With such odds why should I let a hypothetical technicality like this ruin my own fun working on a project like this. Life is too short to be a KJ to oneself, isn't it ?

I got six little friends and they all run faster than you ;)

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

moddb or the SPS Homepage

You're doing this thing repeatedly, where you're trying to sound reasonable to yourself, while ignoring or twisting facts along the way. Steam is gigantic corporation with nasty track record of trying to get everything done by robots, until a lawsuit or changed country regulations force to do them otherwise. With number of the accounts just over one billion (accounts, not users, but still), they're everything but a typical publisher. Even a hundreds of modders breaking the law isn't worth their time and money, unless there's someone complaining.

Instead of wasting time defending illegal use of copyrighted assets, you could just make your own, as you seem to be capable of doing it. At least from what I saw in idtech4-related boards/discord, there are too many programmers already, and not enough content makers. You can fiddle with engine and assets for eternity, but noone will play it without enough original content.

• Like 1

Well as I replied to Jack... all options are on the table.

For just a moment I took your arguments and bounced them back against the current state of reality. I mean come on... even you wouldn't be able to deny the irony if following game news article were to circulate the gaming news portals across the globe:

"Modder gets sued for stealing assets from a game that's essentially about stealing assets !"

What a priceless PR stunt that would be :)

Just lighten up a little.

***Update***

If I am not terribly mistaken this is Garrett from Thief4 available on Steam for Skyrim:

Garrett@Skyrim.jpg

Now we all know that Zenimax/Bethesda are no strangers to quickly sue people (those bastards sued even John Carmack and Oculus for half a billion dollars) and yet I don't see any action taken in this case with this mod being publicly available on Steam for almost 5 years (September 2014).

Maybe then you'd care to explain why the author of that Garrett-Skyrim mod gets to have his fun working on such a mod project (even receiving praise and encouragement from the community) while I shall be denied the very same request.

Edited by oneofthe8devilz

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

IMO there's no point in dragging this further, since the "broken record" approach never drives discussions in meaningful directions.

Note TDM team worked hard to avoid any copyright conflicts with Thief franchise. Coming from a forum with poor community standards, and having poor standards regarding other people's work certainly doesn't do you any favors atm.

There are at least a few people sensitive about their content being exploited, and there was quite a lot of forum drama around that issue fairly recently. Nobody wants to repeat that.

I see and understand. Still thanks for the exchange.

Just for the record... I am no stranger myself being victim to assets theft without crediting from my own idtech4 mod projects. It happened multiple times in the past and while admittedly not being the most pleasant thing in the world to experience I regarded it as the price that I'd eventually have to pay when working with an open source text-readable file system format as (thankfully) idtech4 is.

Also I try to take comfort in the thought that usually people tend to steal things they find of worth. Therefore in a somewhat twisted way with a bitter aftertaste, it could be regarded as a "compliment" when people like your stuff enough to actually go through the hassle of ripping/stealing it from your projects.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

Hello 1o8,

Thank you for the clarification.

I have the feeling that you have true passion for TDS...and I can understand that.

I think DS provides the same threatening atmosphere established by its predecessors

I have to admit that I played TDS using the third person mode, because I liked it somehow and it made the game easier. I would not say that the animations are that bad. Example: Skyrim - the stealth animations there are not really better and the game was developed long after TDS.

However, I wish you the very best with your project!

Hey Jack,

I also never understood what all the thief community fuss regarding the "optional" third person mode in DS was about. I for one really enjoy being able to see Garrett's physical body sneaking through the environment which undoubtedly increases the immersion for me. The good thing with optional settings is.. well... that they are optional... so every FirstPersonView Thief fanatic is/was able to play through the entire game in FPV if they just so desired.

When I introduced an optional Third Person View for my MCS project, I also faced a small but very vocal minority that rejected that addition.

It's funny how people keep trying to dictate to others how a franchise is supposed to be played. Same goes for all the people that claim that Thief DS is supposed to be the worst release of the trilogy.
I remember watching friends play the first 2 games (before the third was released) digging the game mechanics but ultimately being too put off by the appalling graphics/visuals to start playing them myself.

To me Deadly Shadows still remains the most immersive Thief experience visually and audio wise within all 4 released games. I was very disappointed (and again put off) to witness all the static baked lighting & shadowing in the Thief 2014 game. IMO Deadly Shadows with its unified light & shadowing system (with Non-Poly-Popping-SelfShadowing) is able to create amazingly precise "shadow-casting situations", especially when experienced in VR with an HMD.

It's nice and encouraging to meet other people within the community who think likewise.

sps_banner_icon.jpg

Check out our mods at

With Deadly Shadows, it was less a problem of Third person being included as it was a decent first person system being included. It was a hybrid system, not a dedicated first person system. If the first person system from Invisible War had been left intact and the 3rd person also included, I don't think there would have been as much fuss.

• Like 2

Deadly Shadows art style and sound/music still feel great, but first person movement being a result of adding player model for 3rd person view is just awful. The game is barely playable because of that, and movement limitations also affected gameplay styles and FM types that can be made.

Edited by Judith