The Dark Mod Forums

Steam: Greenlight

PPoe

Greenlight  

93 members have voted

1. 1. when we shall start presenting TDM on Steam Greenlight?

• Imediately, classified as the "concept". We will change that on "playable" after going standalone. We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.
    • After going standalone. We dont want to present something that cant be playable at the moment (via Steam).
    • Never. The competition is just too strong.
    • Imediately, classified as the "playable" (DOOM 3 Steam version required). We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.

I say Hell No to Greenlight Ever.

I can't vote because the option " Never, no reason needed and besides Steam Sucks" is not there LOL

Greenlight to me is for upcoming game developers to get a little help in publicity for the purposes of being able to continue to develope the new game. They need money and support as a new game dev. Greenlight helps them get both of those.

The Dark Mod is a finished product with fan made missions. It does not require this same type of assistance from Greenlight. The devs aren't looking to sell the Dark Mod so they aren't after money. The Dark Mod will always be a free game. They could not benefit from the Greenlight community.

Second, Steam SUCKS. I had to get Steam to play Black Mesa. I'll never again use the horrid Steam. The system is full of DRM. Valve is in your face with DRM as much as if not worse than Google. I'm not talking about DRM in the games themselves.. I'm talking about DRM for the Steam system and the checks and double checks they use to sign up and connect to the platform and also forum - these systems don't work right half the time and are very annoying. Don't believe me.. Google problems with Steam and you'll see.

Couldn't be anything worse than Steam IMO. I would hate to see TDM go down this stupid road. Sure I'd like to see TDM get tons of attention but Steam is Not the right way to do it.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

I think it's safe to say if we consider Steam as another outlet for more exposure, it would be conditioned on our normal release method & the game itself staying basically unchanged.

The possible issue I see that others have mentioned or alluded to is a flow of new players to our forum from a somewhat different gaming culture than what we're used to making demands on the direction the game should go, when I think we've done just fine with the culture we've built around ourselves up to now. But maybe there might be a parallel community, and they might even develop a branch that suits their interests (as long as it still plays all the FMs past and future)... That might be interesting to see.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I think it's safe to say if we consider Steam as another outlet for more exposure, it would be conditioned on our normal release method & the game itself staying basically unchanged.

The possible issue I see that others have mentioned or alluded to is a flow of new players to our forum from a somewhat different gaming culture than what we're used to making demands on the direction the game should go, when I think we've done just fine with the culture we've built around ourselves up to now. But maybe there might be a parallel community, and they might even develop a branch that suits their interests (as long as it still plays all the FMs past and future)... That might be interesting to see.

That's definitely possible, and it might likely happen since ive seen a fair share of talented people in the steam community, especially when it comes to DOTA 2/TF2 cosmetics and weapon modelers.

Second, Steam SUCKS. I had to get Steam to play Black Mesa. I'll never again use the horrid Steam. The system is full of DRM. Valve is in your face with DRM as much as if not worse than Google. I'm not talking about DRM in the games themselves.. I'm talking about DRM for the Steam system and the checks and double checks they use to sign up and connect to the platform and also forum - these systems don't work right half the time and are very annoying. Don't believe me.. Google problems with Steam and you'll see.

No idea what you're talking about. Logins have nothing to do with DRM. Also, the login system of Steam is there for your own safety, so noone can take over your account. Also, i never had a single problem logging in.

No idea what you're talking about. Logins have nothing to do with DRM. Also, the login system of Steam is there for your own safety, so noone can take over your account. Also, i never had a single problem logging in.

Second. The only steam account related problem I've ever had is that mine got hacked, and the support actually managed to get it back really quickly. As many people already pointed out, just because TDM is distributed via Steam, it doesn't mean you have to get it via Steam. And even then it doesn't even mean that you have to be online to play it. Regarding the overlay: I already play TDM via Steam and it works like a charme.

76561198061377149.png

I know exactly what I'm talkinng about. All the double checks the system uses is a form of DRM. It's just not commonly called so. It serves the same purpose as DRM. DRM is itself a system of checks to ensure you can legally play the game. Same as all the hoops Steam makes you jump through.

To make Black Mesa work, I had to create a new email account then use that to create my login info. This gets Steam working but I still cannot use this same info to log on to the forum, and I'm supposed to. When logging on if your info don't work they ask you to verify via a Captcha whitch Never works for me or many other folks. It's a big issue many folks have even though others seem to never have these problems. I had to create this new account in the first place because I do have another steam account that I can use to log into the forum BUT, this same info would not work with the steam client. After I fought with the Steam system for a couple of days I then decided to make the new account which like I say is still buggy.

I also have a strong dislike for companies that gets too big for thier britches and Valve is one of them. ( This forum needs a spell checker, sorry for the typos.

I just got so frustrated with the whole mess I deemed Steam null and void.

Edited by Dark Phoenix

I know exactly what I'm talkinng about. All the double checks the system uses is a form of DRM. It's just not commonly called so. It serves the same purpose as DRM. DRM is itself a system of checks to ensure you can legally play the game.

And why exactly is the existence of DRM a problem?

To make Black Mesa work, I had to create a new email account then use that to create my login info. This gets Steam working but I still cannot use this same info to log on to the forum, and I'm supposed to. When logging on if your info don't work they ask you to verify via a Captcha whitch Never works for me or many other folks. It's a big issue many folks have even though others seem to never have these problems. I had to create this new account in the first place because I do have another steam account that I can use to log into the forum BUT, this same info would not work with the steam client. After I fought with the Steam system for a couple of days I then decided to make the new account which like I say is still buggy.

These are things you should contact Steam Support about.

Captcha upon failed login attempts is a very good measure to prevent brute-force password attacks, which is a pretty major security concern because many people use shitty passwords.

The cause for your bad experience is probably simply Steam trying to protect your sensitive information.

• Like 1

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Haven't had issues with Steam for over 5 years. Works great. What's even better is that you can usually replace a game exe with a no-cd crack, and there you go, no more DRM. You don't even need steam running to play the game.

• Like 1

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Haven't had issues with Steam for over 5 years. Works great. What's even better is that you can usually replace a game exe with a no-cd crack, and there you go, no more DRM. You don't even need steam running to play the game.

Same thing here pretty much, but i dont use no-cd cracks, instead i just move games that i have on steam that i know could work without steam into another non-drm folder for the game if i feel like it. Like Thief 1 and 2 and Doom.

Edited by MacD11
  • Like 1

Same here. Actually i even had to move Thief from the Steam folder, in order to apply the TFix/newdark patch, because somehow Steam corrupted some files in the folder, and i had some problems with the ingame menus. Most modern games do have the Steam DRM though, so they have to stay where they are...

• 1 month later...

Ill also say go for it, you wont be forced to use that, and we can lure in some new players..

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

• 1 year later...

Since I didn't want to create a new topic, and since we're post-standalone.

Is there anything new on this front after 2-3 years?

Edited by Anderson

"I really perceive that vanity about which most men merely prate — the vanity of the human or temporal life. I live continually in a reverie of the future. I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active — not more happy — nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. The result will never vary — and to suppose that it will, is to suppose that the foregone man has lived in vain — that the foregone time is but the rudiment of the future — that the myriads who have perished have not been upon equal footing with ourselves — nor are we with our posterity. I cannot agree to lose sight of man the individual, in man the mass."...

- 2 July 1844 letter to James Russell Lowell from Edgar Allan Poe.

badge?user=andarson

No one on the team ever volunteered to take on the task of making the submission, since they're busy with other things & not knowledgeable about it.

IIRC Baddcog volunteered earlier, but didn't respond when I sent him a message about it, and he hasn't been around since.

I think general opinion is the same. Most everyone is on board with it in principle, but we want a trustworthy person to take the lead in doing the actual work of making the submission that knows what they're doing and is trustworthy to speak for the mod, and that knows our needs.

The big catch is if going to Steam requires modifications to the game, like integrating it to its system. I think coders would have to speak on that, but I suspect some modifications might be ok but other modifications might be a problem. There's also the issue of how the Steam outlet relates to our own release system, since we already have a system that works now and we wouldn't want that compromised. Anyway, whoever volunteers to take on the task would need to have this discussion on these kinds of issues with team members.

• Like 3

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

This poll is funny. Its worded oddly and all the answers are to get TDM on greenlight. 3 of them are options for greenlight.

The only 1 negative option (#3) worded, "Never. The competition is just too strong." ...lol. The competition is too strong?? No its not! Let's dO EET! Hilariously leading.

Figured there would be an option for "Never. Bad idea", or "No thanks." Something along those lines so you could accurately guage the community.

Anyway, I don't care either way what you guys decide. Just thought the poll was odd and pointless since the how/when of putting TDM on greenlight is going to be decided by someone that knows what they're doing. Not from a community poll. If you're against it, your only option is to not vote.

• Like 1

Well the poll question was "When shall we start presenting TDM on Steam Greenlight", so there can't be a negative option, because the question itself implies that everything is set to get TDM on Steam Greenlight. :) Anyway, poll or not, it never happened. Which is a shame, because it probably would be a good way to attract more players and mappers. Well, not my decision, but it somehow seems that it is not wanted.

• Like 1

I haven't yet managed to read every post of the rest of this thread, migh thave missed a few from October 2013 onwards, but I just saw this in my inbox:

Steam Greenlight================Some of you may already know that yesterday we submitted **Underworld Ascendant**for Steam Greenlight. If you can take a moment to click on the link below and voteYES, it would be a big help toward increasing the game's visibility with the massiveSteam community.

They haven't even finished their Kickstarter campaign, but are on Steam Greenlight. In the other corner we have TDM, which build an awesome game over 7 years and still hasn't managed a simple submissin to the biggest gaming platform at this time.t... even AFTER we already gone standalone, already polished our game to perfection AND multiple people said they are willing to cover the 100 $ and time needed for the submission.

So, what is our excuse this year for not doing it?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax