The Dark Mod Forums

Steam: Greenlight

PPoe

Greenlight  

93 members have voted

1. 1. when we shall start presenting TDM on Steam Greenlight?

• Imediately, classified as the "concept". We will change that on "playable" after going standalone. We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.
    • After going standalone. We dont want to present something that cant be playable at the moment (via Steam).
    • Never. The competition is just too strong.
    • Imediately, classified as the "playable" (DOOM 3 Steam version required). We need to take advantage of the attention drawn to the greenlight.

Yup, difficult stuff: pros and cons either way. Maybe going Greenlight might even bring new contributors, who knows. I trust the Important People make the correct decisions. It is impossible to know whether the eventual winning community opinion is the right decision... I'd delete my vote and refrain from voting if I could.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Yup, difficult stuff: pros and cons either way. Maybe going Greenlight might even bring new contributors, who knows. I trust the Important People make the correct decisions. It is impossible to know whether the eventual winning community opinion is the right decision... I'd delete my vote and refrain from voting if I could.

Ofcourse the team should decide the fate of the darkmod. We just discuss pros & cons which can help for the team think in everyway.

framerate, anti-aliasing, and sound popping were all pretty bad in that video, but the idea is spot-on. If that was done with a spline, just export it and send it to someone with a fast machine and let them re-record?

Good idea :). Anyone would like to help?

if you could point me what free software to record and give me instruction on how to install and run this flyby spline... not sure my machine is beefy enough through, core i5 2500 with a radeon 6950...

• Like 1

Well, there goes our chance for free massive promotion:

What We’re Doing About Discoverability in Steam Greenlight

September 5th, 2012 - Alden

Submissions of all kinds have been pouring in to Steam Greenlight. As of this post, there are over 700 submissions, but that doesn’t really tell the whole story of what’s being submitted.

Two things we’ve noticed so far. First, there are a ton of legitimate submissions that people want to see. Second, there is unfortunately a significant amount of noise and clutter being submitted, either as a joke or by fans not fully understanding the purpose of Greenlight.

So, with those things in mind, today we’ve made two updates to how Greenlight works.

The first update is a $100 fee for someone to post to Steam Greenlight. The proceeds will be donated to Child’s Play. We have no interest in making money from this, but we do need to cut down the noise in the system. (Note: Anyone who has already posted a submission to Greenlight will not have to retroactively pay for any existing submissions, but will need to do so for any future submissions.)

The second part of this update is to improve your window into Greenlight and help you find “your kind” of games. The next time you visit Steam Greenlight you’ll be shown a smaller, manageable list of games that you haven’t rated. This view is a mix of popular games and new games to Greenlight.

In the end, we’re very interested in maintaining an environment that is fair and beneficial to everyone involved, and one that fun and rewarding to join.

And, of course, we’re going to keep iterating on this system and updating as we learn more about how the community and developers want to utilize it.

Be sure to drop in on the discussions or leave a comment below and tell us what you think.

Edited by 7upMan

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

This works in our favor in the end. $100 is something we can raise among ourselves, and like it says, it weeds out the fluff so people will be less likely to just look at a screenshot & skip us over. They'll expect each entry is respectable enough to give a look at.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

one chance passes, one other comes. It may be even more effective promotion to use greenlight from now on. I strongly believe we'll be swallowed in first wave, but now it'll be more chance for us to be realized.

The next time you visit Steam Greenlight you’ll be shown a smaller, manageable list of games that you haven’t rated. This view is a mix of popular games and new games to Greenlight.

Definitely higher chance for new submissions to be realized.

Let's gather people, and help on collecting the amount. I suggest divide the amount of fee to number of people who wants to donate, and I'm in of course. :)

This works in our favor in the end. $100 is something we can raise among ourselves, and like it says, it weeds out the fluff so people will be less likely to just look at a screenshot & skip us over. They'll expect each entry is respectable enough to give a look at.

No it doesn't. If we want to be seen on Steam in the future we're going to be $100 poorer out of a budget of $0. And we'll miss out on the months/years/eternity of missed opportunity and exposure. Neither will we have learned lessons or refined our (proverbial) game through practice. And the 'opportunity' to submit again with a fee at a later time would still have existed.

It's a damn shame is what it is.

Edited by jay pettitt
  • Like 1

I want to stress a point made in the announcement:

(Note: Anyone who has already posted a submission to Greenlight will not have to retroactively pay for any existing submissions, but will need to do so for any future submissions.)

So if we had moved sooner (or PPoe would have submitted his proposal), theree wouldn't be a need to pay the money. Also, how do you want to raise the money? By which method/provider? Who will be in charge to collect the funds? I assume it will be one of the core team, but who will volunteer?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

If we can't get it together to send a fucking press release without being crippled by indecision, there's not a lot of chance of doing some fund raising. (And semi seriously, fund raising $100 probably takes more than $100 worth of effort - so it's probably something you'd want to think about biggering.)

I suggest we forget Steam for now, but instead do a fun thing, like get some materials together (and if there's need perhaps a new video project) in time for the new 1.08 (is it .08 this time?) release so there's something ready to send to RPS, Sneaky Bastards, Face Book etc etc etc.

Edited by jay pettitt

Dont be so negative.. Ive played a loth of mission recentl and one thing is sure: TDM is awesome. And awesome stuff will always find a players.

And collecting 100 bucks? That will be no problem I believe. I can donate, and collect, if you find me trustworthy. But we will talk about it before going standalone, not now.

Edited by PPoe

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

$100 is not a lot of money. Yesterday, I ordered three books from Amazon, and it came out at $88 including shipping. Not to say some people wouldn't have trouble paying it, but it is not a severe impediment.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Dont be so negative.. Ive played a loth of mission recentl and one thing is sure: TDM is awesome. And awesome stuff will always find a players.

And collecting 100 bucks? That will be no problem I believe. I can donate, and collect, if you find me trustworthy. But we will talk about it before going standalone, not now.

You're right $100 isn't a lot of money. If you're going to fund raise, it's so little money that you might as well sit down, have a think about what you really want to do and fund raise for a good chunk more for a similar amount of effort.

The cash is less the problem than the time and the effort which is a goodly sight more involved than sending out a press release. We can have a long chat amongst ourselves about the details, but heck, the mockup you did was actually pretty damn good and would have been fine.

So while I'm minded to think that we should have got something done and thought about details and evolutionary improvements after the fact - if you're going to go to the extra trouble to fund raise, it's probably worth taking some time and having a think.

You're also right that TDM is awesome.

If/when TDM standalones it will in all probability be the biggest, best, grandest, most impressive, free open source game out there bar none and by quite a margin. I'm more worried that folks don't really appreciate just how awesome TDM is, and are hiding its light under a bushel.

In one sense of course it's kind of endearing that TDM is bumbly and humble when it comes to PR. But I do think a collective round of face slapping is needed here for missing the boat. And then move on, with lessons learned, to the next thing.

Edited by jay pettitt

On the other hand, maybe it is sometimes better to stop, think and maybe even miss the boat rather than rushing forward and making poor decisions.

Hindsight will always suggest the incorrect decision was made at the time.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sure, but you need to have a sliding scale and a sense of what matters and what doesn't. Indecision isn't free. Things devalue over time. Missed opportunities amount to losses.

And it's not like we're not talking about rolling out a major feature here, something with the potential to break stuff.

But yeah - there's no reason to think that missing the Steam Boat this time round will be terminal.

Maybe a thing that could be done is some of us put together a press pack in time for the next 1.0something release with some screens and words and stuff that folk are generally happy with - and keep it updated. So when opportunities do float by, TDM can react and get stuff out that bit quicker.

--edit--

p.s. Rock Paper Shotgun on GreenLight

Edited by jay pettitt

$100 is not a lot of money. Yesterday, I ordered three books from Amazon, and it came out at $88 including shipping. Not to say some people wouldn't have trouble paying it, but it is not a severe impediment.

It's definitely not much and I would donate a part of it, assuming I was pointed a convenient way to do it, maybe that could take place through komag donation system? or is there already one in place for the dark mod?

now, that probably mean we'dd better wait until it goes stand alone before throwing cash, 100$ with no chance to be published is a bit steep for just a bit of publicity...

Edited by elwing

Methinks the person who has been donating the majority of the server costs to keep the main site + wiki + tdmupdate mirrors + bug tracker + svn + bloodgate + etc. etc. etc. all up and running is likely the most trustworthy person to handle donations, in whatever form the donation system might take.

Besides, $100 is a non-issue ffs. i'll pitch in $20 when it comes time throw down the cash for greenlight. several donators have popped up already, and nobody has even asked for donations yet!!! cost barrier is a non-barrier. just figure out if you want to do it or not, and when.

If Valve did just ask for money, I would not pay it, due to the reasoning that I will not pay money to cover up the indecisions of other people. However, 100% of the money is donated to charity.

So if it ever comes to this, I will cover the full 100$ (or less, if others already chipped in). Just send me a PM to arrange something.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax