The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)

demagogue

Fan Mission: Deceptive Shadows by Shadowhide (16/Sep/12)  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag

2. 2. Appearance: Vertical use, Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style, deduct bad texturing etc.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

Shadowhide has released his TDM FM and it needs a release thread here.

I'll quote from his release thread on TTLG.

Edit: Shadowhide has released v.1.01 now which is compliant with TDM2.0 & a few other changes (like the music and loading screen).

Here's the new download:

http://rghost.net/48078929

http://darkfate.org/...ceptive_shadows

TDM FM : Deceptive Shadows

Hello everybody

I would like to present you my most likely last ever mission "Deceptive Shadows"

You can find some screenshots in here :

v.1.01 Download:

Special thanks to :

Clearing
for helping with ideas for puzzles and architecture.

Bikerdude
for a voice acting,getting poor writen readables in much better shape and for allowing me to use and modify his custom particle effect.

Chuzhoi
for helping with editor.

Iz Quierda
for voice acting.

Gore_Torn
for voice acting.

Everyone who ever replied my DarkRadiant questions.

TIP:Try to not set up the alarm in very beginning to not miss intesting conversation (its not really important,but anyway)

Known bugs : under certain circumstances,AI could sit in mid air,I didnt know how to resolve it but it occasionally,so you probably wont encounter it

Edited by Springheel
added tdm download link
  • Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Can't download from those links above ! :unsure:

Just finished playing this, it was a bit abstract but fun. I had to use no clip a few times as I wasn't figure what was going through Shadowhide's head some of the time :-). Having to hunt around for things meant I dropped the gameplay to tolerable otherwise it would have been good.

A few bugs here and there, but 1 of which technically broke the mission!?

(the button that led you to the secret room the Clements room didnt work)

The end of the mission was quite cool,

final battle and boat ride

will be enjoyed.

Lastly, who did the voice of the thief (Gorn_Torn?), as we should ask him to do some stuff for TDM!

Biker , notice you had to use noclip. I've been stuck in the cell for half an hour , got any clues on how to get out !? Apart from noclipping of course !

Edited by raymeld

Biker , notice you had to use noclip. I've been stuck in the cell for half an hour , got any clues on how to get out !? Apart from noclipping of course !

In the cell area there is a hole in the wall that leads to a cave and what looks like a crypt, in the end room with some symbols on the wall think secret. and not all things you see perform thier usual purpose visually.

I've been walking around for an hour with no progress. I have Cedrics key and a small lever. Anyone know what I'm supposed to do with them?

The key gets you into a room

in the lower area

, but you need to gain access to said area first. Now this is where SH thinking is chaotic, the key you need in this instance is called

a footlocker key

which is counter intuitive and the only way the player gets to know is by trying every key on every lock :-/

The handle is used in a room where

a switch wall plate is missing it.

where do I find the footlocker key?

the only footlocker I've found in the map can pe lockpicked?!

if you mean the key to the basement, its in a web in the ceiling of the room, where an illuminated spider crawls on a table

Edited by Obsttorte
  • Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

No, he was thrown-out for his continual trolling and bad forum behavior.

His initial criticisms of the mod diminished over time and he eventually conceded that it's

generally a "good thing" though he still questioned the quality of his peers (other FM authors)...

I am glad to converse with him over at TTLG. They can deal with him going into troll-mode if needed.

He can enjoy himself and those antics over there. He's a happy bachelor but he still offers gifts to

his divorcee... :laugh:

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Biker or someone... over on darkfate.ru, in the "Deceptive Shadows" thread, Shadowhide is asked if this mission has Russian translation. He had to reply that there is no Russian version. This is not good. But it is good in that I had been thinking earlier that this would maybe be a good and fun and useful opportunity to try something: I would love to, if given a phonetic-translation script, do my vocals in Russian! If the rest of us non-Russian speakers would do the same it seems it would be really cool to do so. As you can see there are only maybe 2 or 3 non-Russian speaking people amongst the voice actors. Hopefully we could pull it off? And as for the rest -- the other voices and texts -- since (I assume) Shadowhide is Russian, he would have no trouble translating and voicing those bits...

I really think it would be great to have this mission serve the Russian FM "community" well, as the FM author is the pioneer of Russian built TDM FMs; and, of course, despite his (fatigued-based? usual? faux-nihilist? ;)) claims stating otherwise, is going to continue to be Russia's most prolific FM author.

• Like 1

I like nbohr's response. It's the best of both worlds, SH doesn't troll our forums but he still releases a good FM we can enjoy. I love the thick covering of roots and branches, and the color definitely makes a memorable artistic impression.

@Raymeld. The hint you need is...

in the readable you can read just over the bars.

But if you need a spoiler...

The readable tells you the pagan seeds, those glowing things, eat through metal when doused with water. There is a pagan seed touching the bars, and there happens to be a bottle of water you can reach through the bars, so.... There's your exit plan.

I've been walking around for an hour with no progress. I have Cedrics key and a small lever. Anyone know what I'm supposed to do with them?

@Sir Taffsalot, can you tell me where you found the

small lever.

It's the only thing I haven't found that's preventing me from making progress, now that I know where to use it.

BTW, when Bikerdude said "footlocker key"...

he meant "lockbox key", for the downstairs. And yes, it's in the spiderweb.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

@ Demagogue

the small lever is behind the Barrels left of the front door where you came out of the prison (the double dour with the blue and red light on it)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Bikerdude never saw

that hole in the wall , will pursue! Thanks.

demagogue , thanks

this conflicts with Biker's ' escape plan ' above! I did wonder about the note outside the bars but couldn't get the seeds and stuff to interact with anything.I'll try both methods and see how I get on.I must be one of the oldest if not the oldest 'thiefer' around. I'll play as long as I can but I'm not as sharp as I was when I first started playing !

Ok go for it! But for the record...

Bikerdude is talking about an area that comes (not much) later. You're not there yet!